Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Rancilio Sylvia V3
Cafe Espresso Machines
Video reviews, nationwide installation, leasing options... Nuova Simonelli, Rancilio, La Marzocco.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Rancilio Sylvia...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
NZcoffeesnob

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Rancilio Sylvia V3
Grinder: Rocky Doserless
Posted Wed Jan 29, 2014, 12:05am
Subject: Rancilio Sylvia V3

Hi all, I am new to this forum though I've read the posts consistently over a number of years.
I have a query regarding the above machine and thought I'd put it out there to see if anyone has any words of wisdom. I've had a Rancilio Sylvia V1 for a number of years so am not new to coffee brewing. I recently sold that machine and upgraded to the V3. This includes the Rocky Doserless and the base unit. I'm less than impressed at the quality of some of the parts ... far inferior to the V1. Anyhow, me and V3 Sylvia have been getting acquainted since last August - not too many problems and once she and I made friends, we produced consistently nice coffee and microfoam. Over the last few weeks however, that production has become less than satisfactory and I am having major problems steaming milk. It seems that Sylvia sputters from her steam wand and no matter what technique I try, she consistently splits the milk so I have watery white crap at the bottom of the jug and thick crap at the top - not happy at all. I've tried temp surfing, bleeding the steam wand, not bleeding the steam wand, different types of milk, full fat, no fat, lactose free (which incidentally worked very well for a while). Anyway, I am begining to suspect a pressure issue? The machine whines and groans sometimes, pressure noises - something I never heard with the V1, and no matter whether water or steam comes from the wand, it comes out in splutters. I regularly descale and backflush, and have even poked something up the steam wand to no avail. Any input would be greatly appreciated.
 View Profile Link to this post
Burner0000

Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Rancilio Silvia, VFA Expres...
Grinder: Macap MX/VFA N1464/Kyocera...
Drip: Manual Drip, French Press
Roaster: Behmor 1600 / Sonofresco
Posted Wed Jan 29, 2014, 6:23am
Subject: Re: Rancilio Sylvia V3

When you say sputtering to you mean little steam power or too much with water causing too much large bubbles?  Sounds like you might have a chunk of scale in the wand somewhere.  Is the brew working OK?
 View Profile Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
ericcomposer72

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Oscar, Silvia, Breville...
Grinder: Vario
Posted Thu Jan 30, 2014, 8:59pm

With my V3, this is the dance I had to do to get good steam:

Wait for light (heating element) to come on, without turning on "steam"

Turn on steam

Wait 1'

Begin bleeding wand in short spurts (until water comes out, then close for a few seconds, repeat)

around 1'45", most water would be out--I would then leave the steam on for c. 5"+, just to make sure the steam was dry

THEN I began steaming the milk

(through this whole process--even steaming--heating light will still be on, but steam pressure will be excellent)

I had complete control over the amount of foam I was getting, and always had microfoam...
NZcoffeesnob

Espresso: Rancilio Sylvia V3
Grinder: Rocky Doserless
Posted Mon Feb 3, 2014, 4:07am

You're not wrong about it being a 'dance'. I had that dance down to a fine art and had nice microfoam no matter what type of milk I used.

In watching the You Tube videos, there was no microfoam but what resembled whipped cream on top of watery milk ... ugh, that makes for horrid coffee.

Anyway, since I've been absent, I've been experimenting. It seems that everything else was constant, but the one thing not controlled for was the position of the steam wand.

Since the V3 has a kind of an elbow joint, which means the steam wand has a great deal of movement in all directions, I started studying how the steam gets pushed into the milk and so on.

I found that keeping the steam wand relatively straight up and down, so when put in the milk jug, the tip would be pointing at the bench top, rather than the side of the jug (if you get my drift)..

So far I've tried trim milk, full fat milk and lactose free milk ... here in NZ we have trim, light and full fat milks to choose from ... in keeping the steam wand position constant and following the dance that ericcomposer72 outlines, I can get very, very nice microfoam which makes me happy.

At the moment I am working on perfecting my technique so that I get perfect coffee every time, meaning that once it is all in the cup, if you pull the foam away from the side with a tea spoon, you should not see coffee, rather you should see thick creamy milk that is brown as it has combined with the coffee ...

Moral of the story, a poor workperson always blames his/her tools and it was my technique at fault, not the machine ...however, the machine still splutters and although I descale frequently, it spits and carry's on like a grumpy cat ....
emradguy
emradguy

Espresso: Duetto II; Twist v2
Grinder: M Major, Macap M4 x2, VDD...
Drip: Espro presses; Aeropress
Roaster: H-B "List of Favorites"
Posted Mon Feb 3, 2014, 9:38am

NZcoffeesnob Said:

...Since the V3 has a kind of an elbow joint, which means the steam wand has a great deal of movement in all directions....

Posted February 3, 2014 link

sorry...with the best intention...that's not how an elbow joint works.  The elbow joint is a hinge joint, flexion and extension only.  The rotation you get near the elbow is from the proximal radial-ulnar (or radioulnar) joint, and it's rather limited. True, your hand turns a full 180 degrees, but if you look at your elbow while you rotate the hand, you'll see it barely moves at all.  The Silvia v3 movement is probably closest to a shoulder (glenohumeral) joint. So ends the human physiology lesson...

Now, back on topic...wand angle and position needed to achieve high quality microfoam depends on several factors...angle, size and number of holes in the steam tip, steam boiler pressure, milk to pitcher volume, pitcher shape. Perhaps the steam tip and pitcher shape are the most important of these. While it's helpful to watch videos and hear how people do it, all of the factors need to be identical to be able to reliably use someone else's technique to mirror.  I'd take the recommendations you see and hear about as things to try in your setup. Focus first on the vortex.  Once you know how to achieve that, you're on your way to making microfoam, as it's the majority of the battle. When I had my Silvia v1, I got great results using a v3 wand with three different 30 degree positions (wand rotated 30 degrees out to the right side, pulled out towards me about 30 degrees and then pitcher bottom canted towards my right about 30 degrees). That info is meaningless, without telling you I used 16oz Motta Europa pitchers, filled to about 1/4" under the spout and using a 120 degree 0.9mm 4-hole steam wand tip (the one CCS carries).  Wand was about 1cm towards center from the sidewall at about the 8 o'clock position (looking down into the picther). I got a wonderful vortex going immediately with that technique.

Always remember the most important thing is what ends up in your cup!
Burner0000

Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Rancilio Silvia, VFA Expres...
Grinder: Macap MX/VFA N1464/Kyocera...
Drip: Manual Drip, French Press
Roaster: Behmor 1600 / Sonofresco
Posted Mon Feb 3, 2014, 12:14pm

emradguy Said:

Focus first on the vortex.  Once you know how to achieve that, you're on your way to making micro foam, as it's the majority of the battle. .

Posted February 3, 2014 link

I can vouch for this.  It took me a while to get the vortex but once I did it was easy to repeat. From there it was just making sure the tip of the want stays submerged.  I also found that fully opening the steam valve right away help with stability rather than slowly opening it.
 View Profile Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Rancilio Sylvia...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Support Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids is a non profit charity working with farming communities around the world. Donate today!
www.coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.320475101471)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+