Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Brand New Gaggia Classic - Wont work
Support Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids is a non profit charity working with farming communities around the world. Donate today!
www.coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Brand New Gaggia...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
captdecatur

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Gaggia Classic
Grinder: Gaggia MDF
Posted Fri Jan 31, 2014, 7:54pm
Subject: Brand New Gaggia Classic - Wont work

So, I purchased a new Gaggia Classic via the mail. After taking off all the packaging I attempted to prime the pump and get no response from the machine with it plugged in and all 3 switches on (no lights, or noise from the pump). Other posts I've seen have indicated the thermal fuse on the boiler is the likely cause, but I was skeptical since it had not been run so I opened it up to look inside.

I first noted that one of the leads to the power cord was disconnected (downward arrow - Eureka!) ... clearly the cause. Upon further inspection I also noted that a probe which I'm guessing is a thermocouple to the boiler was also disconnected (probe in hand, hole circled with horizontal arrow). This doesn't seem to just fit into place and would seem to require soldering. Does anyone have any advice on how to handle this? I'm hesitant to just try to send it back as I live in Japan and this would be difficult.  

I have not attempted to run the machine again as I am also hesitant to do so until I resolve  the probe.

Thanks for any help.

captdecatur: Gaggia tech 1A tiny.jpg
(Click for larger image)
 View Profile Link to this post
D4F

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Gaggia Classic PID
Grinder: Baratza Forte-AP
Posted Fri Jan 31, 2014, 8:37pm
Subject: Re: Brand New Gaggia Classic - Wont work

Hi, welcome to CG.

You knew the obvious answer, send it back :)  Since that does not seem reasonable, you could start here

http://www.partsguru.com/GaggiaClassicCoffee.html

There is a parts diagram and appropriate wiring diagram.  The photo is not quite large enough for me to clearly make it all out, but looking at the parts diagram, and knowing my machine, it seems that you have a wire to the element.  There are two elements on a Gaggia in the sidewalls of the boiler and terminals on each end, so, four terminal posts looking up at you.  If I am correct you can easily identify  the other three. I can't tell what is on the end of the wire.  As you can see, the wires have a terminal and connector covered with insulation, whitish.  I think that you are holding that.  If broken, you will need to figure a repair, or figure another connection.  If it all comes off and is broken, it can be solved with a tight fit slip on connector and insulation, making a new solder joint to the wire and slipping it on.

If you have a bare terminal, use a micrometer and get the diameter and we can help from there.

Hope that helps.

D4F also at
http://www.gaggiausersgroup.com/
captdecatur

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Gaggia Classic
Grinder: Gaggia MDF
Posted Fri Jan 31, 2014, 9:11pm

Thanks for the reply. Looking at the wiring diagram it definitely seems to be one of the 4 terminals to the 2 heating elements on the boiler. The entire probe portion remains connected to the wire. The new picture shows the wire with probe attached and the whole which it should go into next to the other terminal on the same heating element. So should I try to get ahold of a micrometer to measure the diameter of this probe? Thanks again.

(Note the pictures show up more clear when you "click for a larger image." I think my dimensions might be a little off standard as I have had to crop to get the attachments less than 75kb.)

captdecatur: heating element.jpg
(Click for larger image)
SStones
SStones
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Giga 5, ECM Giotto, Rocket...
Grinder: Anfim Milano-Best
Vac Pot: No  :(
Drip: Some $30 thing from Walmart
Roaster: I buy pre-roasted.
Posted Fri Jan 31, 2014, 10:19pm

I'm sorry to say, you can't just push it into place, as it will make poor contact and burn. You can't solder it in as it would be shorted to the boiler.
Contact the seller with the pictures. You'll need a new upper boiler (Containing the element that's obviously defective in the picture).
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Brand New Gaggia...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Don't suffer bad espresso
Package deals on the best machines from Izzo, Quick Mill, VBM, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.291270971298)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+