Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Jura Professional Cappuccino Frother Problem (on a S9)
Stefano's Espresso Care
Repair - Parts - Sales
Factory Authorized &
Trained Technician
www.espressocare.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Jura...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
colgem

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Sun Feb 2, 2014, 11:32am
Subject: Jura Professional Cappuccino Frother Problem (on a S9)

Hi Everyone.  I'm Colin, and while I've been lurking for a year, this is my first account and post here.

I have a lot of technical knowledge, but am still working on my ability.  I have owned a couple of department store semi-autos, a super-computer-type breville grinder (a cool toy, to be sure), three or four Delonghi super autos (I tend to buy them used, fix/clean/polish them up and re-sell them), a Jura ENA 3, and am now on to a Jura S9.  So, I have had some technical experience.

Now that my introduction is over, let me tell you about a problem I'm having with the "professional" cappuccino frother on my S9.  It sputters in the froth mode.  It hisses inconsistently on the steam mode.  

Here is a youtube video of the frother and its issue.  The problem is not as visible as it sometimes is.  If I can get a video of it acting up to a greater extent I'll update.

http://youtu.be/WlRd21MvxfY

Any sugestions on how to fix this?  Thanks everybody.
 View Profile Link to this post
SStones
SStones
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Giga 5, ECM Giotto, Rocket...
Grinder: Anfim Milano-Best
Vac Pot: No  :(
Drip: Some $30 thing from Walmart
Roaster: I buy pre-roasted.
Posted Sun Feb 2, 2014, 1:32pm
Subject: Re: Jura Professional Cappuccino Frother Problem (on a S9)

It looked to me, in the video, like it was working well until you changed the valve position. You mentioned at the end that you're kind of suspecting a vacuum leak and it would be possible that it works fine until you touch it, move it slightly and reintroduce the occaisional leak...
Does the valve (The part you turn to regulate flow and switch between steamed milk and frothed milk) feel like it is firmly seated all the way into the rubbery body of the steamer?  If air is getting in around the valve, then the vacuum created will be lost and its ability to draw milk up the hose will be terrible.

You seemed to wiggle the whole frother up near the top, where it sits on the pipe, when you mentioned it might be loose.  Does the black plastic tip (At the bottom of that chromed tube) feel loose at all, or is it firmly connected to the machine?  That chromed tube comes off and you can tighten the black-plastic tip onto the pipe with your finger and thumb.  It's just threaded on and sealed with an internal o-ring.

Lastly, you're running the frother set fairly close to the "closed" position (Dial at three-o'clock). Obviously, the closer you get to three, the more likely it will sputter as the milk is having to flow past more restriction.  This thought is "last" as I think you are right about suspecting a vacuum leak letting the body draw in air rather than drawing up milk, intermittantly.
I'm back to thinking that you may be moving the valve (Turning part) slightly forawrd and out of the body as you're adjusting it. Take it apart and clean it, make sure there's nothing else in that hole which could be interfering with it.  I don't know anything else to suggest.
colgem

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Mon Feb 3, 2014, 8:55am

Well, thanks for the reply SStones.  I truly appreciate your thoughts and time.

The frother is new; bought it on Thursday.  It seemed to work on Thursday, Friday it began sputtering just like the old one did, it's been spotty since.  Nothing feels loose, all connections seem to be sealed.  That plastic tip you're speaking of at the bottom of the chrome tube is seated very firmly, to the point where I cannot get it out.  

I have taken the whole assembly (frother) apart, made sure there was no dust or other crud in it, reassembled it with extreme care, tried sucking or blowing through it at various points to try to find the air leak, to no avail.  The temperature of the steam coming out of the bottom of the frother when no milk tube is attached is a healthy 155 degrees, so the steam isn't instantly boiling the milk (the milk tastes sweet and not burnt).

The machine is older though, the counter is at 5100 drinks made, half of which are milk-based.  Its whole life it has been run on distilled water, but today I'll descale it anyway.  Yes, I realize not descaling first is the rookie mistake, however, since the steam temp is 155 degrees, I'm fairly sure that scale is not the problem.

As a temporary fix, would it be a really terrible idea to lubricate all the gaskets with a small amount of olive oil?  The rubber is silicone, I think, so I don't think that the oil would hurt it.  Is this as terrible of an idea as I think it may be?  I don't really want to risk another hundred+ bucks on a frother.

I was able to capture another video of the sputtering.  This time it's more pronounced, but it's still not the worst it's been.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6TUUsYuxJns

Again, I really appreciate any opinions or suggestions.

Thanks.
SStones
SStones
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Giga 5, ECM Giotto, Rocket...
Grinder: Anfim Milano-Best
Vac Pot: No  :(
Drip: Some $30 thing from Walmart
Roaster: I buy pre-roasted.
Posted Wed Feb 5, 2014, 6:05am

Because I can't think of any other suggestions, I'll go with "Try disassembling, cleaning and reassembling all of the frother parts, again".
You know it can work without sputtering in some positions, when it chooses to.

Perhaps descale the machine. If the steam thermoblock isn't clean enough, it may not be producing enough steam volume for the venturi in the frother to draw up the milk easily.

Don't be afraid to take the plastic tip off.  The chrome above has to come off first. Just pull the top of the chrome forward, away from the machine and upward at the same time.  It just snaps in and out of place.  Once that chrome cylinder is off (The plastic circle on top comes with it. The plastic at the top of that cylinder is not the same piece as the plastic steam tip below it), you'll see the pipe inside the cylinder. The tip unscrews from the internal pipe.

Lastly, maybe contact Jura customer service. They might know more about the machines than we do.  My Jura experience is with a Giga at work. I don't remember the older machine that it replaced very well, but the older machine was a lot like your S9.
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Jura...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Commercial Equipment
Nuova Simonelli, La Marzocco, Rancilio. Nationwide installation. Instant financing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.283007860184)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+