Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
NS Oscar steam tip alternatives?
Espresso Makers
Premium stovetop espresso makers, electric moka pots, machines & accessories.
www.espressozone.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > NS Oscar steam...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
TheCav

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Tue Feb 4, 2014, 7:03am
Subject: NS Oscar steam tip alternatives?

Hi guys!
I'm practicing a bit with my new Oscar and Vario, but I've never been able to achieve a good microfoam with a couple of different milks I tried and a 30oz pitcher. The milk is way too liquid and often "cooked".

My dealer here in Italy is selling a replacement tip that has 4 holes of 1mm each like the tip bundled with the Musica, instead of the Oscar's 1.2mm.
Since I do not use much milk for my 2 morning cappuccinos, do you think the low amount of milk may be the cause for poor foaming? Would that replacement tip work? Or maybe I should look for a 2-hole tip somewhere?
I tried unscrewing the tip in order to block 2 holes with toothpicks, but inside the tip after the threading I can only see a big hole.

Thanks!
 View Profile Link to this post
Coffeenoobie
Coffeenoobie
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: N S Oscar
Grinder: K30 & Vario W
Posted Tue Feb 4, 2014, 9:40am
Subject: Re: NS Oscar steam tip alternatives?

Both smaller  holes or single hole will help.  However, you have got a lot of power it's good to learn how to use it.  I steam about 4 ounces of milk every morning.  I found the right shaped picther really helped my steaming. I think that the ones with the bend in the metal at  four ounces work really nicely.  You can see them on espressoparts.com I am sure you can find them where you are also. You will steam four oz in 10-15 seconds.

Coffeenoobie

Buying advice: GRINDER GRINDER GRINDER. Don't cheap out on the grinder.

My coffee treasure map...
Click Here (maps.google.com)

Oscar trick out: http://s156.photobucket.com/user/GandBteam/story/14231
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
TheCav

Posted Tue Feb 4, 2014, 10:05am

Coffeenoobie Said:

Both smaller  holes or single hole will help.  However, you have got a lot of power it's good to learn how to use it.  I steam about 4 ounces of milk every morning.  I found the right shaped picther really helped my steaming. I think that the ones with the bend in the metal at  four ounces work really nicely.  You can see them on espressoparts.com I am sure you can find them where you are also. You will steam four oz in 10-15 seconds.

Posted February 4, 2014 link

For steaming 4oz of milk, do you recommend something smaller like this?
DanoM

Espresso: NS Oscar, '84 La Pavoni Pro,...
Grinder: Baratza Vario, La Pavoni PGC
Posted Tue Feb 4, 2014, 10:27am

I use a 12oz pitcher like that for my 3-4oz milk when steaming.  My wife likes larger latte, so I use a 20oz pitcher for her 6-7oz of milk.
On full blast the 4oz of milk takes about 10 seconds as stated above, and the larger pitcher with 7oz of milk is somewhere around 20 seconds.

I use whole milk, as I find it steams easier and tastes better.  Stock tip, unmodified, takes some practice with only a small amount of milk, but it's not hard.

For the small pitcher I clear the steam wand, bring up to dry steam, put it in the pitcher toward the left side, 1/2 way between the edge and the center, tilt the pitcher about 20 degrees top out toward me, steam to full, pulling in quite a bit of air at the beginning 2-3 seconds - but keep the bubbles to a minimum, once the milk swirls well leave it swirling and pulling in all the stretched milk and breaking down any bubbles.  Heat that milk to touch, and stop when the pitcher starts to get hot.  (Some people like stiffer foam, so for those people more steaming will yield what I call marshmallow foam.)  Bang the pitcher if necessary, swirl and pour.

It took me about 1 month of making 1 x 4oz milk a day x 6 days a week to get steaming to work the way I want it.  For the larger latte it was easy since you have about double the time to make it right, but the limited time of the smaller serving means you have to get it right in the first 4 seconds or you are drinking separated milk.  The key is to correct one thing at a time and see if that helps you.
I also did several swirl tests with water, and water & soap drop to see how my pitcher swirled best.  Not that I learned anything obvious, but after several water swirl tests I was doing much better.

Keep at it and you'll get there!
Coffeenoobie
Coffeenoobie

Posted Tue Feb 4, 2014, 10:36am

Tapered 10 oz  I want the larger one for 8oz now. I like not having to measure because it is marked by the bend.
http://www.espressoparts.com/5003
this one for 4 oz.

Coffeenoobie

ericcomposer72

Espresso: Oscar, Silvia, Breville...
Grinder: Vario
Posted Tue Feb 4, 2014, 2:18pm

I have both pitchers linked to in this thread, and also have an Oscar.

I have been trying for about 2 weeks with the 12 ounce pitcher (TheCav's link) now to get nice, evenly textured milk, and have not succeeded at all. Sure, I get microfoam at the top and can draw a pretty heart or rosetta, but after the first few sips, the richness is gone and it is very thin. With my Silvia, I could texture the milk so that it is still very thick/rich all the way to the bottom of the drink.

This thread now reminded me to try my other pitcher (10 ounce that Coffeenoobie linked above). I hope I'll have better luck with that...
TheCav

Posted Wed Feb 5, 2014, 2:18am

I tried foaming around 4oz of milk in a small cup but nothing yet, the milk gets boiled much faster.
Espressoparts is advising a Sproline Foam Knife 1 here that works with the Oscar, since the price is very steep, would it be a good purchase?
Coffeenoobie
Coffeenoobie

Posted Wed Feb 5, 2014, 9:49am

I  Never tried it. I got the new tip from Chris coffee and learned to use that.  My tip had the chrome cleaned off when got Oscar it so I wanted the stainless tip.

Coffeenoobie

plindy
plindy
Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: NS Oscar
Grinder: SJ Pharos Lido HG-One
Posted Thu Feb 6, 2014, 3:42am

the stock tip and the reduced hole size tip , both have holes at an included angle of almost 90 degrees to the hole 180 degrees opposite , with each hole offset radially to each other. delivering a fan pattern to the steam. a centered and perpendicular orientation for both stretching and rolling , might work best..

Sproline Foam knife 1
$$$  
lay knife parallel to side in the pour spout to stretch , angle closer to bottom and side to roll
very easy to use  , best with steam handle mod

stock steam wand thread 1/8G or 1/8 BSPP
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > NS Oscar steam...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Cafe Solutions
Commercial sales and service, nationwide installation, equipment leasing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.341558933258)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+