Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Bunn es-1a
Cafe Espresso Machines
Video reviews, nationwide installation, leasing options... Nuova Simonelli, Rancilio, La Marzocco.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Bunn es-1a  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
Chuck63

Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: Bunn es-1A & Bunn ES-1A-F
Grinder: Bunn es-1g
Posted Wed Feb 5, 2014, 12:32pm
Subject: Bunn es-1a

I have a Bunn es-1a-f and have some questions.  It appears to have to much pressure/flow.  With very fine grind coffee I am getting a 2oz shot in about 10 sec.  I have tamped it as hard as I can but can't seem to slow down the extraction process.  The result is very little crema and way under extracted.  I have tried several coffees (Lavazza, Starbucks Turkish grind, my own very fine grind) all to no avail.  Any ideas?
 View Profile Link to this post
GVDub

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Londinium I, Arrarex...
Grinder: Gaggia MD85, Dienes Mokka,...
Drip: Behmor Brazen, Abid Clever
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Wed Feb 5, 2014, 12:39pm
Subject: Re: Bunn es-1a

Any coffee that's pre-ground will be stale before you get it home and incapable of proper extraction. Unless you have an actual espresso capable grinder (Baratza Virtuoso or better) the odds that your existing grinder can go fine enough for espresso are exceedingly small. What's your grinder?
Chuck63

Posted Wed Feb 5, 2014, 12:45pm

Hi, thx for quick reply.  I have a Bunn es-1g (cunilla?) 60 mm flat burr grinder.  Also would like to find a source for new burrs for it.  What I did not say in my post was that I have a second Bunn es-1a and ith the same coffee it pulls a 25 sec 2 oz shot.  The es-1a-f is just over the top with pressure /flow.
GVDub

Posted Wed Feb 5, 2014, 12:56pm

I assume you've grabbed the manual/service guide off the Bunn website. My first guess, give the additional info you've supplied, would be that the OPV is scaled up and stuck closed.
Chuck63

Posted Wed Feb 5, 2014, 3:39pm
Subject: Re: Bunn es-1a-f

I just re-ground some Lavazza in my grinder.  It is powder fine but seems to have slowed the time to pull a shot to about 25 sec.  It is much finer than I use in my other Bunn es-1a and. Is mush after I pull a shot.  What is the OPV valve?  I do have the service manual.  Thanks again
Chuck63

Posted Wed Feb 5, 2014, 3:52pm

P.s.  I liked Clams n all best.  Do you mind if I call?  Would like to talk for a few minutes.  Thanks.  Chuck Hancock
GVDub

Posted Wed Feb 5, 2014, 4:45pm
Subject: Re: Bunn es-1a-f

OPV would be an over pressure valve that would release a little pressure if the pressure in the system went over a set value (usually, I think, somewhere around 10 bar). I went back and looked at the ES-1a manual and didn't see one in the plumbing schematic (or, at least, nothing that looked like one to my limited experience with hydraulic schematics). So I'm stumped.
GVDub

Posted Wed Feb 5, 2014, 4:51pm

Chuck63 Said:

P.s.  I liked Clams n all best.  Do you mind if I call?  Would like to talk for a few minutes.  Thanks.  Chuck Hancock

Posted February 5, 2014 link

Thanks. I need to get back to doing a piece or two a month to Soundcloud.

Email's better. I'm pretty sure my public email is listed. If not, <myusername> at <myusername> dot com will work.
Chuck63

Posted Wed Feb 5, 2014, 7:26pm

Thanks.  Now that you described it I know where it is and will clean it in some cleaner tomorrow.  I grew up in Altadena so know the area pretty well.  Brother in La Canada and ex and kids in a Newport Beach still.  I will let you know how I do at solving the problem.  Next time I am in LA coffee is on me.
Chuck63

Posted Wed Feb 5, 2014, 7:28pm

I think the OPV is on top of the tank.  Has a small wire like piece that sticks up and releases pressure.
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Bunn es-1a  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Support Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids is a non profit charity working with farming communities around the world. Donate today!
www.coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.320373058319)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+