Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Brewtus "leaking" water through some overflow pipe
Learn @seattlecoffeegear
Learn all about coffee, watch videos, read how-to articles.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Brewtus...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
MorneDJ

Expertise: I like coffee

Posted Thu Feb 6, 2014, 10:48pm
Subject: Brewtus "leaking" water through some overflow pipe

Hi,

Last night my Brewtus made this weird sound like a turbine winding down (abeit softly). After that the temperature dropped to about 89 (normally 96) and water would be flowing from this pipe (see photo). Water continued to flow in a slow stream till about 95 C when the water turns to slow, from that point the flow is mainly steam and splatter (of water). I assume it is some or other seal but I need the name of whatever that pipe is, and if possible, the name of that seal (or problem) so that I can order and replace it.

MorneDJ: Brewtus.jpg
(Click for larger image)
 View Profile Link to this post
SStones
SStones
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Giga 5, ECM Giotto, Rocket...
Grinder: Anfim Milano-Best
Vac Pot: No  :(
Drip: Some $30 thing from Walmart
Roaster: I buy pre-roasted.
Posted Fri Feb 7, 2014, 5:04am
Subject: Re: Brewtus "leaking" water through some overflow pipe

My guess is that that is the outlet from your relief valve (OPV). Confirm by looking at the back side of it and following the hose.  Quite possibly, the relief valve is just stuck open by some calcium build up or such. It can be dismantled, cleaned and inspected before making the decision to reassemble or replace.
acasabia
acasabia
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Expobar Brewtus iv-p,...
Grinder: Quamar M80e, Hario slim
Vac Pot: Yama Vacpot, Aeropress,
Drip: french press
Roaster: hot-air popper.
Posted Fri Feb 7, 2014, 5:17pm

MorneDJ Said:

Hi,

Last night my Brewtus made this weird sound like a turbine winding down (abeit softly). After that the temperature dropped to about 89 (normally 96) and water would be flowing from this pipe (see photo). Water continued to flow in a slow stream till about 95 C when the water turns to slow, from that point the flow is mainly steam and splatter (of water). I assume it is some or other seal but I need the name of whatever that pipe is, and if possible, the name of that seal (or problem) so that I can order and replace it.

Posted February 6, 2014 link

lol, this happened to me. I have the plumbable/reservoir model but I don't plumb so I just replaced the line leading into the drip tray with one leading back to the reservoir as a return. In the non-plumbable models this is how its set up.

You can open up the back of the machine and just run a 1/4in teflon tube from the splitter coming off the OPV valve (see photo), back to the reservoir. Turn the machine off prior to doing this, and be prepared for water to come out from in the lines. I left the old 6 inches of tubing from the original set up in place.

If your machine is plumbed do not run a line into your reservoir, this is designed to relieve the pressure that may exist in your plumbing. presumably your drip tray would also be plumbed so it would never fill.

acasabia: IMAG0554.jpg
(Click for larger image)

Anthony C

Currently pulling:
Dallis Bro's (NYC): New York Espresso

http://coffeeandneuroscience.wordpress.com/
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
MorneDJ

Posted Tue Feb 18, 2014, 1:20am

OK, I have been away on a ocean cruise and has been quite disappointed at the espresso they tried serving up ... Quite amazing the issues I can see with a bit of hands-on experience. Anyway, my problem still not fixed and appears bigger than I thought initially. Video at Youtube.

This thing is now not working at all, at least I can still steam milk for hot chocolate for the kids ...
calblacksmith
calblacksmith

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Tue Feb 18, 2014, 7:38am

Does the water flow from the group head without a porta filter installed?

The pump turns on but it seems that the water valve is not opening to the brew chamber. A thread at coffeesnobs has the following GH drawing:

thread on GH lubrication for E61.
Click Here (coffeesnobs.com.au)

Link to posted drawing at Coffeesnobs: coppywrite 2005 Verna Design, inc. All rights reserved.
http://coffeesnobs.com.au/Attachments/E61__2.jpg

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
acasabia
acasabia

Espresso: Expobar Brewtus iv-p,...
Grinder: Quamar M80e, Hario slim
Vac Pot: Yama Vacpot, Aeropress,
Drip: french press
Roaster: hot-air popper.
Posted Tue Feb 18, 2014, 10:11pm

MorneDJ Said:

OK, I have been away on a ocean cruise and has been quite disappointed at the espresso they tried serving up ... Quite amazing the issues I can see with a bit of hands-on experience. Anyway, my problem still not fixed and appears bigger than I thought initially. Video at Youtube.

This thing is now not working at all, at least I can still steam milk for hot chocolate for the kids ...

Posted February 18, 2014 link

Is your machine fully heated there? The pressures seem way out of wack. I have no idea what could be causing that, perhaps its a bad pump?

Anthony C

Currently pulling:
Dallis Bro's (NYC): New York Espresso

http://coffeeandneuroscience.wordpress.com/
MorneDJ

Posted Wed Feb 19, 2014, 6:21am

There is actually no water coming through the top at all currently. Either there is some really screwed up valve or seal or the pump left this earth. Will keep posted.
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Brewtus...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Support Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids is a non profit charity working with farming communities around the world. Donate today!
www.coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.352852106094)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+