Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Nuova Simonelli Oscar replacement
Cafe Espresso Machines
Video reviews, nationwide installation, leasing options... Nuova Simonelli, Rancilio, La Marzocco.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Nuova Simonelli...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
saxobob

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Wed Feb 12, 2014, 9:57am
Subject: Nuova Simonelli Oscar replacement

I have a 15 year old Oscar which has sat unused for a few years since it lost its power to make a good coffee - there was steam pressure but espresso water was not hot enough.  I (as an ignoramus I now realise) opened up and adjusted the Pstat.  Yep I know that doesn't really do anything useful here.  It probably needs a descale  doesn't it?  Scale around the water pipe that runs through the boiler?  So I phoned around (I'min the UK).  Only one company was prepared to service it though they didn't know the machine, and they said about 250 which is over $400.  

Can I get a decent machine for that price that might not be *as* good, but will be new, have a good shelf life, able to make a couple of (nice hot) cappuccino at a time.  Or will it be *way way* less than a well serviced HX machine?  (assuming my 250 does but get a competent service).

Baby Gaggia / Gaggia Classic?

Cheers
Rob
 View Profile Link to this post
Coffeenoobie
Coffeenoobie
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: N S Oscar
Grinder: K30 & Vario W
Posted Wed Feb 12, 2014, 10:08am
Subject: Re: Nuova Simonelli Oscar replacement

If I were you I would descale it yourself,  it is not that hard. Find some citrus acid and I will find some links for you when I get home. Bulk stores and home brew shops carry it.

Coffeenoobie

Buying advice: GRINDER GRINDER GRINDER. Don't cheap out on the grinder.

My coffee treasure map...
Click Here (maps.google.com)

Oscar trick out: http://s156.photobucket.com/user/GandBteam/story/14231
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
emradguy
emradguy
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Duetto II; Twist v2
Grinder: M Major, Macap M4, Pharos,...
Drip: Espro presses; Aeropress
Roaster: H-B "List of Favorites"
Posted Wed Feb 12, 2014, 10:12am

saxobob Said:

I have a 15 year old Oscar which has sat unused for a few years since it lost its power to make a good coffee - there was steam pressure but espresso water was not hot enough.  I (as an ignoramus I now realise) opened up and adjusted the Pstat.  Yep I know that doesn't really do anything useful here.  It probably needs a descale  doesn't it?  Scale around the water pipe that runs through the boiler?  So I phoned around (I'min the UK).  Only one company was prepared to service it though they didn't know the machine, and they said about 250 which is over $400.  

Can I get a decent machine for that price that might not be *as* good, but will be new, have a good shelf life, able to make a couple of (nice hot) cappuccino at a time.  Or will it be *way way* less than a well serviced HX machine?  (assuming my 250 does but get a competent service).

Baby Gaggia / Gaggia Classic?

Cheers
Rob

Posted February 12, 2014 link

I don't think you'll come remotely close to a properly functioning Oscar's quality for that price.  Why don't you consider doing the work yourself?  For one, what have you got to lose? You'll still have your $400 at the end of it all. You say the machine has been sitting unused for several years now.  Second, there is a long thread on here done by a small team of very enthusiastic Oscar owners detailing how to repair one, and they even included some improvements.  I thnk it's called something like "trick out Oscar party"  It's at least worth looking at before you decide whether or not to pay someone else...and you'll have the potential to be even happier with the machine than you originally were.

Ah, speak of the devil!  There's Helen...listen to her...it was her party I mentioned.

Always remember the most important thing is what ends up in your cup!
saxobob

Posted Wed Feb 12, 2014, 11:58am

Thanks.  I had a simpler machine in the past which was easy to descale, but thought there are difficulties descaling a HX machine as the scale builds around the copper pipe which wends its way through the the steam boiler.  Perhaps I got this wrong though.  Thanks for the offer of some tips.

Rob
saxobob

Posted Wed Feb 12, 2014, 12:02pm

Thanks.  I *might* be persuadable but I always get a bit intimidated looking at these forums as everyone seems to mechanically minded & I'm a mathematician meaning I'm only really confident of stuff I can do in my head!  Or with a pencil at a real push...

I'll have a look for what you said.  In fact I did find this earlier today before posting (http://s156.photobucket.com/user/GandBteam/story/14231) ... but that looks sooooo complicated.  Like 100 things to go wrong.  Anyhow I'll try to stop being negative.

Thanks again for taking the time to reply.
Rob
Coffeenoobie
Coffeenoobie

Posted Wed Feb 12, 2014, 4:48pm

I am suggesting a part descale, you have very little risk and should at least try. That link  is a full descale you don't have to do that to fix your problem based on what you said. You need to do Hx only descale not that hard. Unplug the boiler fill and run acid in the tank out the group head.

Coffeenoobie

DanoM

Espresso: Bezzera Strega, '84 La...
Grinder: Compak K10, Kludge grinder,...
Posted Wed Feb 12, 2014, 5:41pm

Descaling isn't too bad.  You should be able to handle it, even if you do have troubles there's very little to loose and much to gain.  (Oscars aren't free, and they are decent machines.  $400/UK250 is a big chunk of money, for something that you can likely handle yourself.  Just my opinion.)

From the description I would guess that there is scale buildup in the HX portion of the boiler, specifically the thermosyphon might not be heating the group properly?  Might have scale buildup in there.  Just a guess.

The HX descale recommended should help if this is the issue.  You may need more than a single descale if the problem persists or you get blue-green water as mine had.
Also note that the pump on these things I believe is set to run a maximum of 90 seconds before it auto shuts off.  Give it 1 minute of cool down time and then run another 90 seconds, repeat as necessary.  (Pump is likely rated for 2 minutes on, 1 minute off.)  So if the pump stops by itself you didn't necessarily break anything.

FYI: Nuova Simonelli Oscar docs
http://nuovasimonelliusa.com/oscar.html

There's a hydraulic diagram there that will show you the water path.  It's got numbers too, but no equations!  ;)
calblacksmith
calblacksmith
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Thu Feb 13, 2014, 7:47am

Yes there is a bit more to it but it is not much more complicated than just putting Citric acid in the water tank, flushing it through until it fills the boiler via the steam wand and flushing it through the brew system with the brew switch. Letting it sit for a while and doing the same thing again with clear water until all the soultion is removed.

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
saxobob

Posted Thu Feb 13, 2014, 11:57am

Thanks everyone.  Helen suggested

"You need to do Hx only descale not that hard. Unplug the boiler fill and run acid in the tank out the group head."  

Oh I feel such a newb.  Sorry is there something called a "boiler fill" I have to unplug, or does that word fill mean "fill and run acid in the tank..."  

(so if I'm just unplugging the boiler - will it be obvious how do do this? Is there just one electrical connection to the boiler?  Won't there be several?  I looked on the docs suggested and can see lots of parts on Click Here (nuovasimonelliusa.com)  and a fluid path I don't really understand on  http://nuovasimonelliusa.com/images/Technical_Information/Hydraulic/Nuova%20Simonelli/Oscar%20-%20Hydraulic%20Diagram.pdf.)

Then I just run the pump?  Don't I need to leave the acid in the machine for 30 mins or so?  

Sorry for so many Qs but are there any walk throughs on coffeegeek for "part descale" - I didn't have much success, though I also didn't find much for "Oscar" either strangely!?  How much citric acid?  How much water?  

Then Wayne was kind enough to offer some assistance too.  " not much more complicated than just putting Citric acid in the water tank, flushing it through until it fills the boiler via the steam wand and flushing it through the brew system with the brew switch. Letting it sit for a while and doing the same thing again with clear water until all the soultion is removed."

The bit I don't get is " until it fills the boiler via the steam wand".  I don't really understand what is happening here?  Is this the initial warm up where you have to flush a short espresso's worth of water freom the steam wand before it will make steam?  Does Wayne's method require me to "unplug the boiler fill" too?

I'd be happy to read some info or a previous post if that is easier!

Sorry!  And thanks!
Rob
Coffeenoobie
Coffeenoobie

Posted Fri Feb 14, 2014, 11:28am

sorry, I am busy and not had time to find the links. part of your confusion is we're talking about two different methods.  I  am suggesting you put a couple of tea spoons in the tank and run that through the group head and not let it get in the boiler.  You can make sure the boiler filled by steaming and then wait till the boiler fills and add the acid then  just risk it like I did. Or unplug the sensor on the fill probe that is safer. I need to find you the links. I would just run the group head till you can taste the acid and the let it sit for 10 minutes or so. then drain some out  a few oz then let sit again till you have emptied the tank or it runs clear. It will be blue green while cleaning.

Coffeenoobie

showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Nuova Simonelli...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Great Espresso at Home
Curated selection of the best machines from La Spaziale, Izzo, Quick Mill, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.444022893906)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+