Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Jura Ena Micro 1 - Refurb Issue
Quick Mill Back in Stock
All Quick Mill Machine ready to ship. Free Ship. Silvano, Anita, Alexia, 2B, Andreja, QM67, Monza!
cupandbrew.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Jura Ena Micro 1...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 3 last page next page
Author Messages
pnewelljr

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Fri Feb 14, 2014, 3:13pm
Subject: Jura Ena Micro 1 - Refurb Issue

Hey, I was hoping you guys could answer some of my questions about a machine I just bought since you are so knowledgeable.

I just bought a factory refurbished ena micro 1 and had two questions:

1. When I brew a shot of espresso, the beans grind, the machine makes noise, it then shoots out about .1 fl oz of clear water, stops for a few seconds and then starts pouring out the shot. Is this normal? Why is it spitting out water? The other weird thing is if I make two shots at once, the first shot it shoots out clear water, but the second shot it shoots out what looks like coffee, and then a few seconds, and then the shot starts. Why is this? Is this backwash from the previous shot?

2. When I got my machine, the amounts hadn't been set right. The espressos button for example, was pouring out 6 fl oz. Is there a way to reset my system to the factory defaults?
 View Profile Link to this post
1stline
1stline
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Undisclosed
Grinder: Indisclosed
Vac Pot: Bodum Electric
Drip: None
Roaster: None
Posted Fri Feb 14, 2014, 3:34pm
Subject: Re: Jura Ena Micro 1 - Refurb Issue

pnewelljr Said:

Hey, I was hoping you guys could answer some of my questions about a machine I just bought since you are so knowledgeable.

I just bought a factory refurbished ena micro 1 and had two questions:

When I brew a shot of espresso, the beans grind, the machine makes noise, it then shoots out about .1 fl oz of clear water, stops for a few seconds and then starts pouring out the shot. Is this normal? Why is it spitting out water? The other weird thing is if I make two shots at once, the first shot it shoots out clear water, but the second shot it shoots out what looks like coffee, and then a few seconds, and then the shot starts. Why is this? Is this backwash from the previous shot?

When I got my machine, the amounts hadn't been set right. The espressos button for example, was pouring out 6 fl oz. Is there a way to reset my system to the factory defaults?

Posted February 14, 2014 link

On the first part, it seems normal compared to the machine we have in the showroom. We consider like a pre-wash/quick prewarm up.

On a refurb, the setting will usually never be set right. Even on a new machine, it may seem not set right as different coffees can have different absorption rates. I believe you hold down the button you want to program, then when you have the right amount of espresso or cafe crema coffee extracted, let go and depress the same button again.

Sincerely,
Jim Piccinich
Business Partner
1st-line Equipment, LLC
www.1st-line.com

Follow us on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/1stline
Twitter: http://twitter.com/1stline
Blog: http://1st-line.blogspot.com/
YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/user/1stlineespresso
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
pnewelljr

Posted Fri Feb 14, 2014, 3:59pm

1stline Said:

On the first part, it seems normal compared to the machine we have in the showroom. We consider like a pre-wash/quick prewarm up.

On a refurb, the setting will usually never be set right. Even on a new machine, it may seem not set right as different coffees can have different absorption rates. I believe you hold down the button you want to program, then when you have the right amount of espresso or cafe crema coffee extracted, let go and depress the same button again.

Just to verify, im not talking about how it initially spits out water when you turn it on. I mean AFTER I hit the espresso button and AFTER the beans are ground that all this is happening. In other words, it is after you've put your glass under, so it is part of what you will be drinking. Is that normal?
SStones
SStones

Espresso: Giga 5, ECM Giotto, Rocket...
Grinder: Anfim Milano-Best
Vac Pot: No  :(
Drip: Some $30 thing from Walmart
Roaster: I buy pre-roasted.
Posted Fri Feb 14, 2014, 4:19pm

pnewelljr Said:

Just to verify, im not talking about how it initially spits out water when you turn it on. I mean AFTER I hit the espresso button and AFTER the beans are ground that all this is happening. In other words, it is after you've put your glass under, so it is part of what you will be drinking. Is that normal?

Sounds about right (Though I'm comparing it to memories of an S9 I used to use at work, not an Ena 9..)  After grinding and closing the grounds crounds in the brew unit, it pre-infuses them by running the pump for about a second and a half, then pausing to let them absorb the water and expand.  As the water flows into the grounds, the air in there is forced out toward the dispensor.  If there are drops of water in the pipes and dispensor they'll be forced along and out of the dispensor toward your cup...
So, if your last function was a rinse, you can get a couple drops of water in your espresso.  If your last function was an espresso, then you can get a couple drops of that last espresso...  Might be a good idea to do a rinse first, before brewing yours, if you think it's been more than a couple minutes since the last use.
pnewelljr

Posted Fri Feb 14, 2014, 4:26pm

SStones Said:

Sounds about right (Though I'm comparing it to memories of an S9 I used to use at work, not an Ena 9..)  After grinding and closing the grounds crounds in the brew unit, it pre-infuses them by running the pump for about a second and a half, then pausing to let them absorb the water and expand.  As the water flows into the grounds, the air in there is forced out toward the dispensor.  If there are drops of water in the pipes and dispensor they'll be forced along and out of the dispensor toward your cup...
So, if your last function was a rinse, you can get a couple drops of water in your espresso.  If your last function was an espresso, then you can get a couple drops of that last espresso...  Might be a good idea to do a rinse first, before brewing yours, if you think it's been more than a couple minutes since the last use.

Thank you for the detailed response. I am just trying to make sure this machine isnt faulty, but I have nothing to compare it to, so I appreciate the response. I think I was just surprised at how much water it is, I measured it to .1 fl oz, which is more than a few drops. I wonder if that would be affected by the grind or beans (things I know little about). At the moment I am using four month old stale beans because I am still tweaking and learning and dont have to feel bad about throwing espresso out.
SStones
SStones

Espresso: Giga 5, ECM Giotto, Rocket...
Grinder: Anfim Milano-Best
Vac Pot: No  :(
Drip: Some $30 thing from Walmart
Roaster: I buy pre-roasted.
Posted Sat Feb 15, 2014, 8:37am

Try different grinder settings, see how it affects it (Only turning it finer when grinder is running), but certainly fresher beans could make a difference.
Keep us posted on your thoughts of that little machine.  Nobody is going to claim it to make the best espresso ever, but if it is decent I would consider one in my parents' motor home. They'd never use a traditional and would be concerned of it taking up space, but they might use and appreciate a superautomatic.
I work near a Jura dealership. I should go in and see if the sales guys will let me play with one...  That's exactly what I need. Another $1000 hit to my credit card.
pnewelljr

Posted Sun Feb 16, 2014, 1:12pm

New issue. I've started to notice grounds in my shots. Not a lot, but if I look I can see a few specks floating around, and when I get to the end of my latte, I can occasionally "feel" them when I drink. Im not sure what to do, is it possible this is because of something I'm doing wrong? Or is it definitely a faulty machine? I plan on calling Jura tomorrow because they are closed today. Thanks for an suggestions
man114

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Saeco Classico,...
Drip: Norelco Dial A Brew
Posted Mon Feb 17, 2014, 8:44am

Preinfusion is the nature of how the Jura machines are designed. The pump will run a second or two then pause before completing the shot. If you are getting water out at this stage your grind is too course and it is not absorbing the water (but you did say you were using stale beans, try fresh first). If it was set factory default after being refurbished, this coming from my S8, the settings all get placed right down the middle. In default mode it produces watery over extracted shots with too much water and not enough coffee (I somewhere found the exact amount of coffee it uses for the shots and it was far too little for the amount of water used). On the S8 I had to use a small measure to get the shot sizes adjusted and basically max out the grounds used to reach a desired length of extraction and good creama.

In the case of the Ena I don't think you can adjust the amount of grounds used so the obvious way around that if it is too watery you would have to dial down the amount of water it uses per cup size to achieve the desired results.

Grounds in the coffee is an issue, you may occasionally get a very small amount if it hasn't been rinsed in several cycles but not in every cup. Out of the 4 shots in a row (actually 4 doubles) I have 10 countable grounds in the last cup.
pnewelljr

Posted Mon Feb 17, 2014, 8:56am

man114 Said:

Preinfusion is the nature of how the Jura machines are designed. The pump will run a second or  then pause before completing the shot. If you are getting  out at this stage your grind is too course and it is not absorbing the  (but you did say you were using stale beans, try fresh first). If it was set factory default after being refurbished, this coming from my S8, the settings all get placed   the .  default mode it produces watery over extracted shots with too much  and not enough coffee (I somewhere found the exact amount of coffee it uses for the shots and it was far too  for the amount of  used). On the S8 I had to use a  measure to get the shot sizes adjusted and basically max out the grounds used to reach a desired length of extraction and good creama.

the case of the Ena I don't think you can adjust the amount of grounds used so the obvious way around that if it is too watery you would have to dial  the amount of  it uses per cup  to achieve the desired results.

Grounds  the coffee is an issue, you  occasionally get a   amount if it hasn't been rinsed  several cycles but not  every cup. Out of the 4 shots  a row (actually 4 doubles) I have 10 countable grounds  the last cup.

Posted February 17, 2014 link

I think I may be being hyper critical because I just bought this machine and it was a refurb. I adjusted the grind to be finer, and the preinfusion water coming out it less. I will start using fresh beans once I run out of the old ones, which is in about three or so more days. As far as the grinds go, maybe it is normal? Its not a ton or something, I can just see a few particles floating around in my glass. IDK
pnewelljr

Posted Mon Feb 17, 2014, 12:00pm

Contacted the company I bought it from:

"Thank you for contacting JL Hufford! Every espresso machine will leave some amount of grinds, even traditional espresso machines will have some amount of grinds within the shot. Please let us know if you have any further questions or concerns. Thank you and have a good day."

And Jura

"It is normal to find some grinds, depending on how you have the grinder set."

??
showing page 1 of 3 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Jura Ena Micro 1...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Quick Mill Andreja
Best bang for the buck in E-61 Espresso Machines.  In stock, free shipping, 2 yr warranty!
cupandbrew.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.392549991608)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+