Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Best Commercial grade Single Group head 110V machine?
Find the Right Machine...
Package deals on the best machines from Izzo, Quick Mill, Rocket, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Best Commercial...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
chrisvaandering

Expertise: Pro Barista

Posted Sat Feb 15, 2014, 1:19pm
Subject: Best Commercial grade Single Group head 110V machine?

Hey there!

So obviously the GS3 or the Mirage (my fav machine) are gonna top the charts, but i'm not looking for a rolls royce, i'm looking for a toyota :). ha.

Anyone have any thoughts on this? I would like to have the option of plumbing in, and I need to pull about 50-70 shots per hour. At least the capability to do so. So obviously a PID & Double boiler would be a necessity.

Looking to start a portable espresso bar, so any thoughts would be super helpful!

If anyone has ever build a really great portable bar that would be some great info as well!

Appreciate anyone's wisdom on this, thanks heaps!
 View Profile Link to this post
boar_d_laze

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: La Cimbali M21 DT/1 Junior...
Grinder: Ceado E92; "Bunnzilla"
Vac Pot: Royal Coffee Maker
Drip: Chemex + Kone; Espro Press
Roaster: USRC Sample Roaster
Posted Sat Feb 15, 2014, 4:11pm
Subject: Re: Best Commercial grade Single Group head 110V machine?

Machines
The LM GS/3 is the least expensive, truly commercial, DBPID.  All of the less expensive DBPIDs are prosumers.    

So obviously a PID & Double boiler would be a necessity.

What's the obvious part of needing a DBPID?  Why not an HX?  

Presented for your consideration (in alphabetical order), three, commercial, plumbed-in, 1g machines, priced below $4K new, which can keep up with just about any load a real-life barista can throw at them:
  1. Elektra T1 ($3600);
  2. La Cimbali M21 Junior Casa ($3000); and
  3. Nuova Simonelli Appia Volumetric ($3700 "street").

Although the M21 recovers steam very quickly, its boiler size might be too small for a lot of steaming if you really do the numbers you're talking about.  On the other hand, it's probably got the most stable group for high espresso production; and the Casa version -- which has built in pre-infusion -- is especially forgiving in terms of minor distribution flaws.

Keepin' it Real
While quite a few commercial 1 groups, including the three above, can keep up with the load, 50 - 70 shots an hour is beyond the capability of all but the fastest baristas; and impossible if the barista is also doing a lot of steaming, serving as a cashier, cleaning the pitchers, and all the other stuff which goes into a commercial espresso operation.  If that sort of volume is a real possibility you ought to consider a three person staff and either a 2 group with a 7L boiler, or two commercial 1 groups.      

Finally, the real price for a GS/3 isn't that much more than a commercial HX.  I believe they're still under $6K.  

Rich
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
pstam
pstam
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: ECM, SAN MARCO, EURO 2000
Grinder: MAZZER
Vac Pot: YES
Drip: YES
Roaster: YES, HOME STYLE
Posted Sat Feb 15, 2014, 9:02pm

Averagely more than 1 cup of coffee in a minute, you need really a two group machine.
Even if you make only espresso, but actually you make more milked coffee, I suppose.

Hx can do the same as two-boiler, and Rancilio Classe 9 can  be compared to PID.

Peter in Beijing
-------------------
http://www.kaffa.cn/
-------------------
I am looking for the way and the place to extend our trainning courses.
 View Profile Visit website Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
chrisvaandering

Expertise: Pro Barista

Posted Sat Feb 15, 2014, 9:51pm

@Boar_d_laze Thanks for your reply! I see what your saying, I would have myself +1 and i've been making coffee for 5+ years at some insanely busy cafe's so we're good on the speed, so 50-70 isn't out of the question at al. Also, generally speaking, I would ideally be working on contract from client as opposed to having to take cash per order so that removes a lot of unnecessary labour time with taking cash and giving change.

I'm personally quite nervous about Elektra machines (except fully manual ones, which don't serve our purpose, and btw for no particularly good reason am I adversed to them, so i could be convinced to change my views) but i've absolutely been looking into the Appia a lot so i'm glad you mentioned it! Have you used it before? I've heard it has some interesting quirks but generally a sturdy work horse. And also, i've actually never heard of La Cimbali so i'll look into it!

As you mentioned the 2 groups, i find it very hard to locate a quality 2 group machine that can run on 110v. The Appia does have a 2 group version, but from what i've heard it's power isn't consistent with that voltage, any thoughts on that?

And obviously i would love to find a GS/3, so I'll be on the hunt for a deal, but this is all contingency planning.

Thanks again! Very appreciated!

(p.s HX is great too, just speaking in terms of capacity, i didn't want someone recommending a Rancillio Silvia or Gaggia Baby or something ;) )

@Pstam thanks for your reply as well. I'll look into the Gaggia but i'm slightly adverse to their consistency. Would love some info if you think otherwise!
calblacksmith
calblacksmith

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Sun Feb 16, 2014, 9:11am

Commercial machines are pretty much made from the same components, there is no BEST machine, but you will need one that is serviceable locally and that is more important than brand.

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
JasonBrandtLewis
JasonBrandtLewis

Espresso: Elektra T1 - La Valentina -...
Grinder: Mahlkönig K30 Vario -...
Vac Pot: Yama 5-cup
Drip: CCD, Chemex
Roaster: No, no, not another...
Posted Sun Feb 16, 2014, 10:15am

chrisvaandering Said:

(p.s HX is great too, just speaking in terms of capacity, i didn't want someone recommending a Rancillio Silvia or Gaggia Baby or something ;) )

Posted February 15, 2014 link

Well, considering neither the Silvia nor the Baby are HX models, I think there is little chance of that happening . . .

chrisvaandering Said:

I'm personally quite nervous about Elektra machines (except fully manual ones, which don't serve our purpose, and btw for no particularly good reason am I adversed to them, so i could be convinced to change my views) but i've absolutely been looking into the Appia a lot so i'm glad you mentioned it! Have you used it before? I've heard it has some interesting quirks but generally a sturdy work horse. And also, i've actually never heard of La Cimbali so i'll look into it!

Posted February 15, 2014 link

Good lord, WHY???  Elektra has been around for a very long time, are exceedingly reliable, and widely used commercially throughout Europe (where HX machines are far more common than DBs) and even here in the States (where the reverse is true).

I've had an Elektra T1 (volumetric) for 6+ years now, with nearly trouble-free operation in daily use.  (Yes, I've replaced the pressurestat.)  Other than that, just routine maintenance.  It is not in a commercial environment, but it is a true commercial machine (not a home model) and, with its 6.0L boiler, can certainly stand up to your requirements for steaming milk.  It is far and away the best machine I've owned, and I have no desire -- even after 6+ years -- to replace it with anything else . . .

What about a Rancillo Epoca S1 (semi-auto) or the Rancillo Epoca E1 (volumetric)?  Both are 3.9L boiler, HX models, and the ABS plastic shell should make them lighter to transport on a mobile cart.

The Cimbali Junior Casa was the machine that came in a close second when I was buying my Elektra.

I'd also consider --which you seem to be doing already -- the Nuova Simonelli Appia 1-group semi or the Nuova Simonelli Appia 1-group volumetric?  

Note: all machine links herein are to CANADIAN vendors, unless otherwise noted.

P.S.  In terms of a portable espresso bar, you're going to need to make sure the machine can run off a FloJet (something to consider).

A morning without coffee is sleep . . .
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Best Commercial...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Green Unroasted Coffee
Free shipping. Save 15% on variety pack, use 'variety' at checkout
www.madbeanscoffee
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.347281932831)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+