Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
CC1 supposed to be here Friday!
Rancilio Silvia - How to
Step by step guide for easy brewing and steaming with the Rancilio Silvia
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > CC1 supposed to...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
bossman

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Mini Vivladi II
Grinder: Baratza Vario-W
Drip: Cuisinart
Roaster: Soon I hope
Posted Tue Feb 18, 2014, 8:11am
Subject: CC1 supposed to be here Friday!

This will be my first real machine and I am pairing it with a Vario-W.  I have read through a lot of the CC1 threads but I am curious if there are any quirks that I need to account for?  Any maintenance that should be done other than what it will show in the manual?  Any other pointers for this machine?

Thanks in advance.

Edit: I ordered from Fair Mountain Roasters a bag of their espresso blend and a bag of their house blend so I will have nice fresh beans.
 View Profile Link to this post
Iluvdabean
Iluvdabean

Espresso: La Nuova Era Cuadra/Gaggia...
Grinder: Baratza Preciso/K-A Pro...
Drip: Bonavita BV 1800 TH
Roaster: Nesco 1010/Behmor 1600
Posted Tue Feb 18, 2014, 8:38am
Subject: Re: CC1 supposed to be here Friday!

The people here are very helpful. It is important to get started on the right foot. Congratulations and enjoy the journey.
 View Profile Contact via ICQ Link to this post
Dayglow
Dayglow
Expertise: I live coffee

Posted Tue Feb 18, 2014, 8:57am

As with any new machine don't forget to give it a good initial flushing and water throughput to get any manufacturer stuff out of the works. Having a full boiler while doing this is critical. Welcome to the club and let us know how things work out!
calblacksmith
calblacksmith
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Wed Feb 19, 2014, 7:30am

HEY, enjoy that new machine! Congrats and welcome to the obsession :D

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
CMIN

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Crossland CC1
Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Posted Thu Feb 20, 2014, 3:43pm

Fair Mountain is an awesome roaster.

Far as the machine just remember to leave it for at least 30-40 min warmup (and make sure PF is locked in lightly) and then pull a blank shot to make sure everything is hot and stabilized (it can be plugged to a electrical timer as well so it turns on and ready to go by the time you get up). I generally keep temp at 201, preinfusion at 2-3 seconds, and dwell/wait time to 3-4 seconds. Play around with it, like leave Cup 1 with no changes except for temp, Cup 2 add preinfusion etc, Cup 3 make other changes like temp etc, that way same beans you can try a couple different parameters easily. If you need to calibrate your Vario check Baratzas site as they have instructions to do so, easier to go down to where your choking the machine out and dial back vs vice versa.

Good luck and let us know if you need any tips. Remember to clean the steam wand if you steam milk, lot of newbies with various machines don't give it a few spritz of steam after steaming and then a wipe down to clean and make sure no milk is gunked up, then down the road they wonder why they have steaming problems lol.
bossman

Espresso: Mini Vivladi II
Grinder: Baratza Vario-W
Drip: Cuisinart
Roaster: Soon I hope
Posted Thu Feb 20, 2014, 5:25pm

Thanks for the replies!  I will check my Vario to see if it needs calibrated, it is a refurb so I am hoping that was done while they were working on it.  Great idea on going too fine first and backing off, I would have tried the other way!
DanoM

Espresso: Bezzera Strega, '84 La...
Grinder: Compak K10, Kludge grinder,...
Posted Thu Feb 20, 2014, 6:10pm

bossman Said:

Thanks for the replies!  I will check my Vario to see if it needs calibrated, it is a refurb so I am hoping that was done while they were working on it.  Great idea on going too fine first and backing off, I would have tried the other way!

Posted February 20, 2014 link

Generally Baratza does calibrate the grind of all machines they ship.  I've had 2 Varios come through here and both of them were fine.  Good to familiarize yourself with the maintenance of the machine though.

For dialing in on pump machines it's usually easier to choke off the machine and then back off the grind as mentioned above.  I usually use the left side of the Vario for dialing in the gross grind setting and don't mess with the fine grind until later.  Set the fine to mid range and set your gross (number side) to a 2 or 3.  Grind, tamp, pull and see whether you need to go tighter or looser.  (Currently I'm grinding about 2-G for my espresso, but every bean, machine, situation is different and there is no standard calibration on the Vario so the numbers are all relative.  Just giving you a starting idea.)

Not relevant for you today, but FYI:  If you get into lever espresso like a La Pavoni later on you'll find that dialing in from the opposite direction works easier.  Start with your grind too loose and tighten until you get enough resistance for crema.  I think for my La Pavoni grinds I am using a 5-M for the same coffee, same grinder and getting excellent crema there.  Too fine a grind and you loose crema on these levers, as well as the mouthfeel.  Quite the opposite dialing procedure of a pump driven machine.
Coffeenoobie
Coffeenoobie
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: N S Oscar
Grinder: K30 & Vario W
Posted Sat Feb 22, 2014, 9:55am

we are excited to hear about your progress.

Coffeenoobie

Buying advice: GRINDER GRINDER GRINDER. Don't cheap out on the grinder.

My coffee treasure map...
Click Here (maps.google.com)

Oscar trick out: http://s156.photobucket.com/user/GandBteam/story/14231
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > CC1 supposed to...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Rocket R58 Double Boiler
Rocket Espresso R58 Double Boiler -  Everything you need for the perfect shot!
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.395483970642)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+