Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Repair My Aging Starbucks Barista Machina (aka Saeco Via Vienna)?
Rancilio Silvia - How to
Step by step guide for easy brewing and steaming with the Rancilio Silvia
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Repair My Aging...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
joeholmes

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Starbucks Barista
Posted Wed Feb 19, 2014, 10:18am
Subject: Repair My Aging Starbucks Barista Machina (aka Saeco Via Vienna)?

My 10-year-old Barista espresso machine still works fairly well with one exception: when I pull a shot of express0, I get quite a strong stream of water coming out of the steam wand.

This not only depletes the water in the reservoir faster than it used to, but I'm wondering if it affects the strength of the pressure on the pull?

Is this something I can repair with a simple gasket replacement?

If not, can anyone recommend an espresso repair shop in New York City?

In fact, is it worth repairing? If the repair cost is half the cost of a new machine, it might be worth it to start fresh with a Saeco Via Vienna.

Thanks for any help, geeks.
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
cv

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Wega Mini EVD, SB Barista
Grinder: Vario, Preciso, Rocky DL,...
Drip: Capresso MT500+, Clever...
Roaster: Hottop for a few weeks!
Posted Wed Feb 19, 2014, 10:58am
Subject: Re: Repair My Aging Starbucks Barista Machina (aka Saeco Via Vienna)?

Chances are it is just the steam valve dial has slipped on the shaft, so that the valve just doesn't close completely. I assume it  probably drips a bit as well when you are in steam mode?

It's been a while since I did any work on a SB Barista, but IIRC, take the top off and have a look at the steam valve dial and the shaft. It should be held on with an Allen(hex) screw. Loosen it up and remove the dial. (I seem to recall that you have to play with it a bit to get it off). Once it is off, close the valve completely and then re-atttach the dial.

There is also a switch mechanism attached to the shaft that works so that when you are in brew mode and open the dial, the pump will kick in to provide hot water for americanos etc, so you to have to position the dial so that it functions properly that way as well.

Sorry I can't be more specific than that but if you have a close look at it, hopefully you can see what I mean.

Hope this helps.   Conrad
 View Profile Link to this post
joeholmes

Posted Wed Feb 19, 2014, 11:02am

I think I know exactly what you mean.

To try to slow the flow of water out of the steam pipe, I usually twist the steam handle to tighten it closed while I'm pulling a shot. Nowadays this doesn't even slow the flow of water out of the pipe. That makes me think that adjusting the hex screw won't help. Am I understanding right?

In any case, thanks for the tips.

If it's not a simple repair I'll have to try to locate a repair shop in NYC. (I may have to switch to my trusty MyPressi Twist for the days the machine is in the shop.)

Anyone know of an espresso machine repair shop in NYC?
cv

Posted Wed Feb 19, 2014, 1:45pm

joeholmes Said:

Am I understanding right?

Posted February 19, 2014 link

Not quite. What you are describing is exactly the problem. The dial (handle) bottoms out but the valve isn't closed. The dial has a separate stop. So the dial needs to be 'repositioned' on the shaft. Then both will completely close at the same time and your leak will stop.

Sounds like that adjustment wil solve your problem.

Conrad
joeholmes

Posted Wed Feb 19, 2014, 1:48pm

Oh, excellent. In the next day or so I'll try what you suggest.

It actually makes a lot of sense -- much more likely a symptom of the slipped set screw than of bad gaskets.

Thanks! I'll let you know how it works.
joeholmes

Posted Wed Feb 19, 2014, 3:06pm

Wow, all fixed. Total time: about 20 minutes. Money saved: $200-400.

It went just as you suggested. The set screw took the smallest hex wrench I own, a tiny thing.

And a tip for those who open up the Saeco Via Venezia or Starbucks Barista: there are actually two different screw threads on the six screws that hold the cover on: the top two screws have a fine thread, the lowest screws on the rear have a lock-washer and a coarser, self-threading kind of thread, and the upper screws on the back have that same self-threading kind of thread. Anyway, just keep them separate when you disassemble.

Thanks, Conrad. Mission accomplished.

-=-Joe
cv

Posted Wed Feb 19, 2014, 4:37pm

Happy to help.

I have two of those machines kicking around that don't get used much these days, but I spent many hours learning how to run them and fix them in my early espresso years. And thanks to the info and help on this site then and now I'm a lot braver these days when it comes to fixing other machines. Paying it forward now.

Conrad
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Repair My Aging...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Cafe Espresso Machines
Video reviews, nationwide installation, leasing options... Nuova Simonelli, Rancilio, La Marzocco.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.320888996124)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+