Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Low Pressure on Oscar
Cafe Solutions
Commercial sales and service, nationwide installation, equipment leasing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Low Pressure on...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
andrewtran

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Sun Feb 23, 2014, 12:29pm
Subject: Low Pressure on Oscar

After reading a ton about espresso (including a lot of posts on this forum), I finally took the plunge and picked up a used Nuova Simonelli Oscar.  I've been experimenting with different doses (7-9g for a single shot) and grind sizes (2-4 macro and all the micro-adjustments on a Baratza Vario), but my extraction times are still way too long.  About 30 seconds until anything comes out and at least 1.5-2 minutes to get anything close to a 1oz shot. There's also a lot of coffee grounds left over on the screen after each attempt (sometimes even a piece of the puck).

I've tried replacing the grouphead gasket and cleaning the screen. I also backflushed the machine (water seems to only come out of the right hose in the back...).  I opened the machine up as well and didn't see any evidence of scaling. I suspect the problem is low pressure from the pump.  But this is my first espresso machine so I'm not sure if I'm overlooking another easy, more obvious issue.  Any suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks.
 View Profile Link to this post
Coffeenoobie
Coffeenoobie
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: N S Oscar
Grinder: K30 & Vario W
Posted Sun Feb 23, 2014, 10:42pm
Subject: Re: Low Pressure on Oscar

The vibe pumps can die in 3-5 years.  They are 50$ with free shipping from Espresso parts or chris coffee.  Try changing the grind first before the pump. it is easier.

Coffeenoobie

Buying advice: GRINDER GRINDER GRINDER. Don't cheap out on the grinder.

My coffee treasure map...
Click Here (maps.google.com)

Oscar trick out: http://s156.photobucket.com/user/GandBteam/story/14231
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
plindy
plindy
Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: NS Oscar
Grinder: SJ Pharos Lido HG-One
Posted Mon Feb 24, 2014, 3:10am
Subject: Re: Low Pressure on Oscar

Try removing the screen and diffuser plate from the group head and measure the amount of water in 10 seconds.
4-6 oz ?
Is the screen just slightly larger diameter than the diffuser plate ?
Does the diffuser plate have 4 or eight holes ?

These questions will determine pump delivery to a grounds rather than pod equipped diffuser and screen.

Water from back-flush should only exit from the right side

Welcome to CG
 View Profile Link to this post
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Low Pressure on...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Find the Right Machine...
Package deals on the best machines from Izzo, Quick Mill, Rocket, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.271401882172)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+