Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Gaggia Classic vs Gaggia New Baby.  Worth the extra $$ ?
Don't suffer bad espresso
Package deals on the best machines from Izzo, Quick Mill, VBM, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Gaggia Classic...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
espressodemon

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Gaggia Classic
Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Posted Sun Feb 23, 2014, 1:46pm
Subject: Gaggia Classic vs Gaggia New Baby.  Worth the extra $$ ?

I narrowed my choices down to the Gaggia Classic and New Baby.   From what i've read, both have the same internals.  The main differences are the water reservoir location and the button controls.  I like the look of the Classic more, plus its been around longer.

Anyone have experience with both?  Is the Classic worth the next money?

Gaggia Classic, Capresso Infinity
 View Profile Link to this post
D4F

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Gaggia Classic PID
Grinder: Baratza Forte-AP
Posted Sun Feb 23, 2014, 1:57pm
Subject: Re: Gaggia Classic vs Gaggia New Baby.  Worth the extra $$ ?

I don't have experience with both, but forum experience with both.  You can start here

Click Here (www.partsguru.com)

Part 28 on the Classic diagram is an adjustable Over Pressure Valve OPV and allows the user set brewing pressure to 9 bar.  Both are OEM at about 11 - 12 bar to allow for POD or Pressurized use, not for good espresso.  Baby lack that part.

You can read the note by PartsGuru on Baby and leaks, not a problem on Classic.  Classic has old school reliable switches, Baby, not so  much.

Get the Classic :)

D4F also at
http://www.gaggiausersgroup.com/
espressodemon

Posted Sun Feb 23, 2014, 2:23pm

D4F Said:

I don't have experience with both, but forum experience with both.  You can start here

Part 28 on the Classic diagram is an adjustable Over Pressure Valve OPV and allows the user set brewing pressure to 9 bar.  Both are OEM at about 11 - 12 bar to allow for POD or Pressurized use, not for good espresso.  Baby lack that part.

You can read the note by PartsGuru on Baby and leaks, not a problem on Classic.  Classic has old school reliable switches, Baby, not so  much.

Get the Classic :)

Posted February 23, 2014 link

Thanks, I did not know that about the OPV.   The WholeLatteLove video I watched that compared the Classic, Baby Class, and Baby didnt mention this.

I found a tutorial on adjusting the pressure but it involves a custom portafilter with pressure valve.  Is there an easier way to do this?   ALso, the tutorial states to get the Classic up to normal operating temperature, leaving it on for 20 minutes!  From what ive read, I thought it only took a couple of minutes until its ready to use.

D4F

Posted Sun Feb 23, 2014, 2:52pm

The best way to adjust pressure is to take the double spouts off of the PF and put the gauge on.  It is not a custom PF needed. It can be very simple to make

http://coffeegeek.com/forums/espresso/machines/194464

You can add fittings to turn the gauge and add a bleeder valve, but it can be simple.

Or without a gauge

Click Here (www.gaggiausersgroup.com)

Gauge is probably the best.

It takes 15 - 20 minutes for the whole mass of the machine and water to be temperature stable, and that is similar on most all.  Larger machines may be longer.

D4F also at
espressodemon

Posted Sun Feb 23, 2014, 6:17pm

Thanks for the help D4F.  

I was just about the pull the trigger on the Gaggia Classic and I saw WLL offered a combo deal.  For $110 more, I can get a Gaggia MDF grinder.  My current grinder is a Capresso Infinity.  Based on what ive read, I should upgrade the grinder.  I was going to hold off and see how it works with the Gaggia Classic but the combo deal seems to good to pass up.

What do you think?

CMIN

Espresso: Crossland CC1
Posted Sun Feb 23, 2014, 6:34pm

I wouldn't waste money on the MDF, it's barely passable for espresso, wide steps and narrow dialing range. Def need a grinder upgrade as the Infinity is no where near espresso capable. But what's your budget? At a minimum I would go Baratza Preciso or the Le'Lit

And double yes to the Classic
espressodemon

Posted Sun Feb 23, 2014, 7:45pm

My budget is $350 for espresso machine and $200 for grinder. I was hoping to get by with my Infinity grinder for awhile.  I know the saying that the grinder is more important than the machine.  What exactly is the Infinity not capable of doing?  I've played with the grind settings and it can get a pretty fine grind.  I would like a new grinder though, something that is easy to clean.  Ive read comments about not using oily beans but all the espresso labeled beans at Whole Foods look oily.  These are freshly roasted, not packaged.  My favorite beans are the Sierra.  Its a pita to clean my grinder.  The MDF doesn't look easy to clean either, especially with the doser.  As far as the machine, anything is going to be better than the Mr. Coffee pump less "espresso" machine I am using now.

D4F

Posted Sun Feb 23, 2014, 8:10pm

Probably the least expensive espresso capable grinder with fine enough steps to stay dialed in is the Baratza Preciso Refurb at $239 + about $15 shipping.  If you are going to less than that for a grinder, you will have difficulty unless you find a good used deal.  MDF, Rocky and similar are not adequate unless modded, or unless you are fairly experienced.

D4F also at
CMIN

Espresso: Crossland CC1
Posted Sun Feb 23, 2014, 9:07pm

espressodemon Said:

My budget is $350 for espresso machine and $200 for grinder. I was hoping to get by with my Infinity grinder for awhile.  I know the saying that the grinder is more important than the machine.  What exactly is the Infinity not capable of doing?  I've played with the grind settings and it can get a pretty fine grind.  I would like a new grinder though, something that is easy to clean.  Ive read comments about not using oily beans but all the espresso labeled beans at Whole Foods look oily.  These are freshly roasted, not packaged.  My favorite beans are the Sierra.  Its a pita to clean my grinder.  The MDF doesn't look easy to clean either, especially with the doser.  As far as the machine, anything is going to be better than the Mr. Coffee pump less "espresso" machine I am using now.

Posted February 23, 2014 link

I owned a Infinity. This is where newbies to espresso get a little confused b/c a grinder can grind fine. Espresso isn't just a fine grind, it's burr sets that have the correct grind quality and consistency. Plenty of cheap grinders can grind fine and into talcum powder, but their completely useless for espresso.

Whole Foods beans they roast I don't like. Way better off  finding a local roaster by you or ordering online.
dwRK

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Sun Feb 23, 2014, 9:26pm

of all the gaggias...just get the classic. you can get open box less than $350. there's one for sale here for $250...i'd just get that...

for grinders i'd just get the lelit for $265.

you'd have money left over for pitcher, brush, knock box, etc...

i've never tried whole food beans but some stores do sell local roasters' with roasted on dates...i've tried a few from Austin and they are not bad...
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Gaggia Classic...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Learn @seattlecoffeegear
Learn all about coffee, watch videos, read how-to articles.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.36417388916)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+