Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Nespresso foam machine question
Don't suffer bad espresso
Package deals on the best machines from Izzo, Quick Mill, VBM, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Nespresso foam...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
PJK
PJK
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Rancillo Silvia, Tonic...
Grinder: Modified Rocky, Elma side...
Vac Pot: Old Silex
Drip: Melitta BCM 4  +Some old...
Roaster: Hottop, Modified Z&D,...
Posted Mon Feb 24, 2014, 1:27am
Subject: Nespresso foam machine question

My daughter in law just received a Nespresso milk foaming machine for her birthday.  Now I know Nestle gets no respect around here and I know they have pretty much earned their lack of respect, however this thing appears to be fairly well made.  It appears to have a heating element and a stirring blade. You put milk into it and turn it on and supposedly you get micro-foam.

If this thing is for real why would I consider a move up from my Silvia to an HX machine and why are we bothering to perfect our milk steaming technique?

Please don't flame me as I am skeptical myself.

Phil

Philip J. Keleshian
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
NobbyR
NobbyR

Espresso: Poccino Opus One, Ariete
Grinder: Eureka Mignon Istantaneo
Vac Pot: N/A
Drip: Melitta Linea Unica de Luxe
Roaster: N/A
Posted Mon Feb 24, 2014, 1:54am
Subject: Re: Nespresso foam machine question

Well, a friend of mine owns such a Nespresso milk frother, but the texture rather resembles spray foam insulation than the kind of microfoam you would need for latte art, for example. YMMV

"This drink of the Satan is so delicious that it would be a shame to leave it to the infidels." (Pope Clement VIII on coffee, when he was urged to ban the beverage)
 View Profile Link to this post
PJK
PJK

Espresso: Rancillo Silvia, Tonic...
Grinder: Modified Rocky, Elma side...
Vac Pot: Old Silex
Drip: Melitta BCM 4  +Some old...
Roaster: Hottop, Modified Z&D,...
Posted Mon Feb 24, 2014, 9:17am

Well, that is something of a relief!  If something were to come along which would make our steaming skills obsolete I would not expect it to come from a company so committed to cr*p coffee.

Phil

NobbyR Said:

Well, a friend of mine owns such a Nespresso milk frother, but the texture rather resembles spray foam insulation than the kind of microfoam you would need for latte art, for example. YMMV

Posted February 24, 2014 link

Philip J. Keleshian
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
emradguy
emradguy
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Duetto II; Twist v2
Grinder: M Major, Macap M4 x2, VDD...
Drip: Espro presses; Aeropress
Roaster: H-B "List of Favorites"
Posted Mon Feb 24, 2014, 10:36am

I own one.  It's called the Aerocino (or at least one model is).  It comes with two different "frothing" attachments - which are held in place by a magnet.  One of them, the better one, is a whisk, similar to the mini whisk you see on the hand held battery powered Bodum frothing tool. However, it's a lot better because the unit also heats the milk while frothing it (of course, it costs 4 times as much too).

I have this unit in my office at work, so that I can provide frothed milk for drinks from my Twist.  It does a pretty good job, but like Nobby said, the foam is not up to par with real microfoam and there's no way you can do latte art with it, as it's dense enough to form peaks and stand up on its own.  It's a pretty good travel frother though, as you can just plug it in, add milk, and push a button, and it's easy to clean.

Always remember the most important thing is what ends up in your cup!
takeshi
takeshi
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Alex Duetto 3.0
Grinder: Super Jolly
Roaster: Amaya Roasting
Posted Mon Feb 24, 2014, 11:01am

PJK Said:

If this thing is for real why would I consider a move up from my Silvia to an HX machine and why are we bothering to perfect our milk steaming technique?

Posted February 24, 2014 link

Already covered above but I'd say try it and see for yourself.
DanoM

Espresso: Bezzera Strega, '84 La...
Grinder: Compak K10, Kludge grinder,...
Posted Mon Feb 24, 2014, 4:04pm

I've got one of these too.  Works well for someone that doesn't either have a steam wand or hasn't learned one yet.  There are 2 wisks, one for finer foam (cappuccino) and a second for less dense foam (latte).  The wisks whip up more or less of the milk into foam while heating.  It will only heat for 1 drink at a time.  Great little devices for people that don't have a real espresso machine and steam wand.

As far as the quality of the milk....  Well, it's as good as $tarbuck$ milk I would guess.  Not creamy, rich, smooth, perfection that we can make with a real steam wand.  Still a decent tool for those without.
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Nespresso foam...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Home Espresso Machines
Watch videos with Gail & Kat, Rocket, Jura Capresso, Saeco, Rancilio, Quick Mill, Nespresso
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.329452037811)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+