Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Tiny orangish-red sediment in brand new CC1...
Home Espresso Machines
Watch videos with Gail & Kat, Rocket, Jura Capresso, Saeco, Rancilio, Quick Mill, Nespresso
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Tiny...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 3 last page next page
Author Messages
bossman

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Mini Vivladi II
Grinder: Baratza Vario-W
Drip: Cuisinart
Roaster: Soon I hope
Posted Tue Feb 25, 2014, 3:41pm
Subject: Tiny orangish-red sediment in brand new CC1...

I have flushed about 8 tanks of water through my CC1 and I am still getting tiny black flakes of some kind of sediment in the container after flushing from grouphead or steam wand.  This is brand new and I can't even try to pull a shot because of this crud.  Anybody have any ideas of what it might be??!

Edited the title, upon closer examination the particles are orangish-red not black.
 View Profile Link to this post
CMIN

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Crossland CC1
Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Posted Tue Feb 25, 2014, 3:53pm
Subject: Re: Tiny black sediment in brand new CC1...

I didn't have that happen but have read of other owners of various machines even high end prosumer/commercial having that happen when new. Could be left over stuff from manufacturing, I'd just keep flushing and see what happens. You can leave the steam wand open and it'll continue to shoot water out, but I'd keep using the group head first till it's running clearer so you don't risk clogging up the thermoblock. Can you get a picture of what it looks like? Sometimes I know people will get flakes from chrome plating/brass, but that would be more goldish, CC1 is a stainless boiler.

What type of water are you using though? It's possible that what your seeing is left over minerals from hard water, people have had that happen like you if thei lived in a hard water area and were using tap etc, and not filtered.

It's a good idea to flush any new machine, some just may need it more than others, but if it's a lot of black stuff that may be minerals imo.
bossman

Posted Tue Feb 25, 2014, 4:44pm

I am using filtered water, under sink type filter.  I don't have a camera that is good enough to show them, they are very tiny and remind me of black pepper except they sink to the bottom.
bossman

Posted Tue Feb 25, 2014, 4:55pm

I guess my iphone is better then I thought.  Looking in the light they actually looking orangish-red, I can't attach the higher res pic so its still hard to see.

bossman: sediment 2.jpg
(Click for larger image)
CMIN

Posted Tue Feb 25, 2014, 5:03pm

Should get a TDS Meter to read your water, usually get them pretty cheap, lot's of people have had filtered setups that weren't really "filtering" like they should. Did you keep flushing and has it gotten better? To me that would either be mineral deposits especially if black from the water, or something left over from manufacturing. Except any black sediment when searching online generally is minerals from water. I'm sure others will chime in that may be able to help more, hope you get it sorted.
bossman

Posted Tue Feb 25, 2014, 5:11pm

Here is a link to a  better picture, its still happening with every pull but might be getting less.

http://postimg.org/image/b7jf9l4o1/

Edit: if you click on the picture in the link it makes it full size and you can see the particles really well.
victoriacoffees
victoriacoffees
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Izzo Pompei
Grinder: Compak K8 Fresh; Mythos...
Roaster: Ambex 15K; Hottop
Posted Tue Feb 25, 2014, 6:17pm

Just a stretch but could it be carbon deposits from a new filter?

Is there enough for you to rub between your fingers and determine if they are metal flakes?

-John
www.victoriacoffees.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
bossman

Posted Tue Feb 25, 2014, 6:57pm

They were too small for me to determine what they were, but they were heavier then water.  Also I checked the water before I put them in the machine and there was nothing there.  Is there a filter built in to the CC1 I don't know about?

The problem lessened greatly when I switched to tap water, not sure if it was coincidence or not but I am going to buy some bottled water to try.  It lessened enough that I tried some shots.  First I tried the beans that SCG gave with the CC1, roasted on 2-10 so on the edge of being stale.  The amount of crema was amazing but the first few shots were gushers and super super sour.  I changed dose to 22g and to almost the finest setting on the vario and it just barely choked it.  Backed it off a couple of notches and got an ok one, but still really sour.  I upped the boiler temp to 206 and changed to the Fair Mountain roasted on 2-17 espresso blend.  Changed the grind back to a bit coarser and lowered the dose back to 18g.  First one was a gusher, uppded dose to 19g and tightened the grind and finally got a decent looking pour and about 22g volume in 27sec.  I tried it and the first thing that hit me was sweet, then changed to slightly sour/bitter but it was the best shot of espresso I have ever had.  Not that it means much lol, charbucks is the only thing I have to compare it to besides a Nespresso and crappy superauto.  I am very encouraged though, that shot was very drinkable to me and would have made a yummy latte and I have barely even started.

As long as I can get the sediment thing figured out I am going to be one happy espresso drinker.
CMIN

Posted Tue Feb 25, 2014, 7:59pm
Subject: Re: Tiny orangish-red sediment in brand new CC1...

I normally dose 16.3, you can dose down and grind finer. 22g is way to high, even though the CC1 double is on the larger side for baskets. I also go by time from 1st drips, so after preinfuse and dwell drips start about 7-8 seconds and I stop the shot around 37 seconds.

No filter in the CC1, if tap was fine. I'd try filter water again, if that still happens then something is in your filter/water line under the sink.
SproBro

Espresso: CC1 v1.5
Grinder: Compak K10PB, Vario
Posted Tue Feb 25, 2014, 10:44pm
Subject: Re: Tiny orangish-red sediment in brand new CC1...

Your shower screen is probably buried in your puck causing the 4 little holes above the shower screen to cause channelling and gush. I had that problem as well, dried pucks sticking to my shower screen too! As soon as I lowered the dose to pass the nickel test (16grams), and quit fussing with the grounds distribution and just tamped the damn thing after I pulled it off the grinder, my shot quality/time improved dramatically. I still feel like my shot is developing too fast, but its likely just end user error.
I did notice grinding very fine with the vario can lead to clumps, and can get you some varying density pucks (and wonkey pulls you can see if you have the bottomless). Weiss stir might alleviate this (going to try that out here tomorrow).
Usually I'm getting 1.5-1.7g (not ml) espresso per gram of grounds before my shot is full blonde (no dark streaks) around 32-35 seconds on "good" pull (I guess thats around 25 seconds from first drip)

Do you mean 22g mass/weight? or 22ml volume? Only water is 1g = 1cm^3 = 1ml, not thy beloved espresso.
showing page 1 of 3 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Tiny...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Stefano's Espresso Care
Repair - Parts - Sales
Factory Authorized &
Trained Technician
www.espressocare.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.322431087494)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+