Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Disassembling a shower screen
Cafe Solutions
Commercial sales and service, nationwide installation, equipment leasing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Disassembling a...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
Dove

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Fri Feb 28, 2014, 1:02pm
Subject: Disassembling a shower screen

Hi
I have a Mokita espresso machine from 1996 and I'd like to disassemble the shower screen, however, the screen is attached with a shallow brass nut and I cannot get it opened. Does anyone know if that nut can be taken off?
I have tried taking off the bolts from inside the machine attaching the boiler to the group head but 1 out of the 4 bolts is stuck and I cannot take that off either, not even sure if I take off all 4 bolts the group head will come off. The machine seems to be working properly and the only reason I wanted to take those parts off is to get them cleaned, if those stubborn bolts and nuts will be stuck forever I will clean the machine from the inside with an espresso descaler.

Thanks

Dove: image002.jpg
(Click for larger image)
 View Profile Link to this post
calblacksmith
calblacksmith
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Fri Feb 28, 2014, 1:35pm
Subject: Re: Disassembling a shower screen

Hello and welcome to the board.

That nut in the center of the dispersion screen should unscrew and allow the screen to be removed and give you access to the passages behind it.

If it has been a long time since it has been removed you might have a job of a time to get it loose. About the best you can hope for is to use a box end wrench on it, that will give you the most turning power to the screw head. If that fails, well, it is destruction time, a pair of vice grips MAY get it when clamped firmly but most likely, you will destroy the bolt and the screen will be damaged. If the bolt head breaks off then you will have to drill out what remains of the bolt from the group head (after you get it off) then if lucky, you will not need to retap the threads. Replace any damaged parts as needed.

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
CraigA
CraigA

Espresso: PID/PressureMod 2001...
Grinder: BUNN FPG-2 DBC, Baratza...
Vac Pot: Bodum Santos manual, Yama 5...
Drip: Behmor BraZen, BUNN VPR-APS,...
Roaster: Refurb Behmor 1600, BBQ...
Posted Fri Feb 28, 2014, 2:57pm

calblacksmith Said:

About the best you can hope for is to use a box end wrench on it, that will give you the most turning power to the screw head. If that fails, well, it is destruction time, a pair of vice grips.

Posted February 28, 2014 link

Yeah, that brass hex head bolt head is pretty chewed up, but I think you'd have less chance of destroying it (but it SHOULD be replaced anyway), with a radiused 6 point socket.
The radiused corners of the socket transfers the torque force laterally away from the damaged corners of a nut & applies it to the faces of the hex, & allows you to get the bolt off.

You more that likely would have open box end wrenches like calblacksmith mentioned, & not the pro 6 point metric/sae sockets.

I don't know what size it is, & my pic is only for illustrative purposes to show you what the socket looks like inside. {;-)

CraigA: Radius corner socket1.JPG
(Click for larger image)

http://twitter.com/CoffeegeekCraig
http://www.facebook.com/craig.andrews.169

Excellent coffee doesn't just happen!
 View Profile Visit website Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Contact via ICQ Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
SStones
SStones
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Giga 5, ECM Giotto, Rocket...
Grinder: Anfim Milano-Best
Vac Pot: No  :(
Drip: Some $30 thing from Walmart
Roaster: I buy pre-roasted.
Posted Fri Feb 28, 2014, 4:15pm

CraigA Said:

I don't know what size it is, & my pic is for illustrative purposes to show you what the socket looks like inside. {;-)

If it's the same as the similar looking Imat machines, it's a 14mm.
I think I have one around here somewhere, still attached to an old parts machine (I never throw anything away).  If trip over it, I'll measure it.
stefano65
stefano65

Espresso: Vibiemme,Elektra,
Grinder: Vario,Macap,
Vac Pot: not
Drip: not
Roaster: not
Posted Fri Feb 28, 2014, 4:45pm

yep 14mm
same as some single stage boiler Isomac and Elektra Nivola/cappuccina
What I did to one of my deep socket is grind it flat (most of them have a slightly rounded edge)
this will give it more "insertion" and therefor more to grab on

stefano65: Photo Feb 28, 3 46 20 PM.jpg
(Click for larger image)

Stefano Cremonesi
info@espressocare.com
www.espressocare.com
CraigA
CraigA

Espresso: PID/PressureMod 2001...
Grinder: BUNN FPG-2 DBC, Baratza...
Vac Pot: Bodum Santos manual, Yama 5...
Drip: Behmor BraZen, BUNN VPR-APS,...
Roaster: Refurb Behmor 1600, BBQ...
Posted Fri Feb 28, 2014, 5:14pm

stefano65 Said:

What I did to one of my deep socket is grind it flat (most of them have a slightly rounded edge)
this will give it more "insertion" and therefor more to grab on

Yes, & I did think about that when I saw the state & the thinness of his brass bolt, & that pic of the socket I posted.. {;-)

http://twitter.com/CoffeegeekCraig
http://www.facebook.com/craig.andrews.169

Excellent coffee doesn't just happen!
 View Profile Visit website Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Contact via ICQ Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
Dove

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Mon Mar 3, 2014, 9:35pm

Thanks for all your replies. No luck yet, but I will try other ways to get that sucker opened. To me it looks like most other machines have a screw attaching the screen to the top and that makes it much easier to get opened for regular maintenance. It doesn't seem the brass nut was a wise choice in using it for that purpose.
fnacer

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Salvatore E61, Vivaldi Mini...
Grinder: Mazzer Mini, Gaggia MDF,...
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Mon Mar 3, 2014, 9:57pm

You can try a screw removal tool. The tool requires that you first drill a hole in the center of the bolt. And it's easier to do that if you have a replacement screw to gauge where and how deep to drill the hole. I used this method for the first time after battling an obstinate screw for several hours. And I felt very silly when the screw remover took all of 10 seconds to do the job.
coffee_no_sugar

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: pavoni pub, brasilia club
Grinder: mazzer sj, mdf, infinity
Drip: melitta clarity
Roaster: popcorn
Posted Mon Mar 3, 2014, 11:01pm

I like the idea of grinding a socket flat so it has more grip.  If you haven't tried it already, try unfreezing the bolt by tapping with a hammer or mallet.

As a last resort, you could remove the shower screen by any means possible.  You have to be very careful not to damage the brass diffuser disc underneath.  Once you have removed the shower screen, you have more room to use a wrench or vise grip.  

As for the 4 bolts holding the group in place, I had real problems with those too.  One of the nuts became so rounded that I had to removed by a dremel.  Later I found a hex driver that had thin walls.

Wesley
alanfrew
alanfrew

Posted Mon Mar 3, 2014, 11:32pm

Dove Said:

Hi
I have a Mokita espresso machine from 1996 and I'd like to disassemble the shower screen, however, the screen is attached with a shallow brass nut and I cannot get it opened. Does anyone know if that nut can be taken off?
I have tried taking off the bolts from inside the machine attaching the boiler to the group head but 1 out of the 4 bolts is stuck and I cannot take that off either, not even sure if I take off all 4 bolts the group head will come off. The machine seems to be working properly and the only reason I wanted to take those parts off is to get them cleaned, if those stubborn bolts and nuts will be stuck forever I will clean the machine from the inside with an espresso descaler.

Thanks

Removing group collar bolts needs an adapted 8mm socket, http://www.coffeeco.com.au/newsletter/june2012.html . To loosen the water distribution nut, use a medium flat head screwdriver and hammer. Turn machine upside down. Hammer a slot into one of the hex flats in the anticlockwise direction until the nut starts to turn. After cleaning, smooth out any burrs on the nut with a small file. The "damage" to the nut is purely cosmetic and doesn't affect function. See also http://www.coffeeco.com.au/articles/repair.html

Alan
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Disassembling a...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Commercial Equipment
Nuova Simonelli, La Marzocco, Rancilio. Nationwide installation. Instant financing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.421391010284)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+