Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Upgrading to a new set up, need advice
Coffee Kids
Help folks who help folks in coffee producing nations.
coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Upgrading to a...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
Artis

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Rancilio Silvia
Grinder: Rancilio Rocky
Posted Sat Mar 1, 2014, 3:11pm
Subject: Upgrading to a new set up, need advice

Hi All, Im new to the site but have read it for years for tips and advice.  I have a rancilio silvia/rocky set up on a nice steel drawer with storage and ground disposal.  Well its been a good run but now I would like to upgrade to a better set up, 2500-2750 is my target.  Ive looked at the exobar but have read some odd issues and wondered if anyone could recommend a set up that they use or have used.  Thanks a ton for the help I really appreciate it.
 View Profile Link to this post
JasonBrandtLewis
JasonBrandtLewis
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Elektra T1 - La Valentina -...
Grinder: Mahlkönig K30 Vario -...
Vac Pot: Yama 5-cup
Drip: CCD, Chemex
Roaster: No, no, not another...
Posted Sat Mar 1, 2014, 4:58pm
Subject: Re: Upgrading to a new set up, need advice

There are hundreds of different possibilities, all of which could be fine for you . . . or not, depending upon your needs.

To begin with, take a look at these Standard Questions:
1)  What kind of drinks do you like/want to make?  (This will tell us what you need in terms of a machine's capabilities.)
2)  How many drinks, on average, do you see yourself needing to make at ay one time? (This will tell us what you need in terms of a machine's ability to work continuously.)
3)  How many drinks, on average, do you see yourself making in any given week?  (This will tell us what you need in terms of a machine's durability.)
4)  Can you plumb a machine directly into the water supply, or do you want/need a pourover machine with its own reservoir?
5)  Do you have a 20-amp circuit available, or only a (standard) 15-amp circuit?
6)  What is your budget for a new machine?  ($2500-2700.)  Does that also include a grinder?  If not, what is your budget for a grinder?

One option is the setup that I use in my office daily, pictured below:  a La Valentina, which -- not in the picture -- is now paired with a Baratza Vario.  Est. total:  $2374.

A few of the many other options for machines would include (in alphabetical order):
-- Bezzera BZ10 ($1699)
-- Isomac Millenium v3 ($1749)
-- Izzo Alex Tre ($1995)
-- Quick Mill Andreja Premium ($1795)

re: Grinders -- spend as much as you can and overbuy on the grinder!

JasonBrandtLewis: office.jpg
(Click for larger image)

A morning without coffee is sleep . . .
Artis

Posted Sat Mar 1, 2014, 5:18pm

Jason- Thanks a ton for the quick reply.  I have a standard electrical setup and don't intend to plumb it just use a refillable tank.  I make 20-25 drinks a week, the vast majority being espresso not lattes etc. Ideally it would be a faster heat up as opposed to a slower.  I was looking at 2500-2700 in aggregate if possible but can go higher for a proper set up from a technical and aesthetic perspective.
Artis

Posted Sun Mar 2, 2014, 2:53pm

I really like the looks of the izzo, thanks,! What grinder would you recommend to pair with one of those choices? Thanks a ton.
acasabia
acasabia

Espresso: Expobar Brewtus iv-p,...
Grinder: Quamar M80e, Hario slim
Vac Pot: Yama Vacpot, Aeropress,
Drip: french press
Roaster: hot-air popper.
Posted Sun Mar 2, 2014, 4:14pm

Artis Said:

I really like the looks of the izzo, thanks,! What grinder would you recommend to pair with one of those choices? Thanks a ton.

Posted March 2, 2014 link

you're looking at mazzer, compak, quamar.. essentially any of the larger model grinders. I dont personally like the vario, while I see it has its usefulness as a capable little grinder, I think its overpriced and over-featured for what you really need pulling shots. If this is an espresso only grinder (as it should be) you really want anything stepless (or close to stepless). Larger burrs reduce grind time and improve grinding consistency. in terms of price, you're looking between $500-1k on the grinder alone.

Mazzer/Rio are an industry standard. Excellent build quality, heavy grinders with some nifty tools inside (static reduction, floating burrs, removable grind trays). They're pricey but worth it. A mazzer mini would do the job, a SJ even better, anything more is overkill for home use.

Quamar is what I use. Priced well, built well, runs well. Similar to a mazzer on the machine side of things (burr size and motor) but lacks some of the finer details; microadjustment instead of stepless, no spring floating burrs (may jam more easily), no anti-static grid). All that aside I've used mine heavily for over a year now and love it. I would definitely buy another if I ever had a reason. might I add its easy to program, as is the mazzer.

Compak is nice, I used one when I was sampling grinders to buy. It has all the features that matter but I didnt like the plastic, I didnt like the noise (not that its much more than the other models), but what I really hated was that in order to adjust the timed dosing, you had to get under the machine and turn a dial. This was troublesome for me, especially considering the digital options on the mazzer and quamar weren't to expensive (relatively speaking).

I hope this helps, there are other grinders out there, but these are the ones I feel most comfortable recommending. If you were getting a smaller machine I'd say the vario is fine enough, but since you're buying a real prosumer grade model,  I think it would be a shame to limit you to a consumer market grinder. Its a cool grinder, but theres a reason its not used in commercial espresso settings.

Artis Said:

Hi AIve looked at the exobar but have read some odd issues and wondered if anyone could recommend a set up that they use or have used.  Thanks a ton for the help I really appreciate it.

Posted March 1, 2014 link

I assume you're talking about all of the "my brewtus wont reach full pressure," issue threads. 90% of these can be solved by cleaning the OPV, and another 9% by adjusting the grind.  The machine is by no means perfect and there definitely are some defect models out there. However I've worked on mine as well as a friends who had similar trouble and it always seems like the pressure issues are more of a user/prep problem more than anything else. People seem nervous to adjust their grinder as their beans age and this machine seems more picky about it than some others I've worked with.

If you can, I strongly reccomend going to a place where you can see these machines in person... Also measure the space and hight you have on your counters as this is an issue many people tend to forget about :)

Best of luck!

Anthony C

Currently pulling:
Gimme! Piccolo Mondo Espresso Blend
http://coffeeandneuroscience.wordpress.com/
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
Artis

Posted Sun Mar 2, 2014, 4:56pm

Thanks Anthony I appreciate it.  I stopped by a place today that had a pasquini livid g4 semi auto, that looked like a very solid machine or me, not that I do put love my Silvia but it is time.  Any thoughts on that machine? I agree the grinder is key and will take a look at each of your suggestions.  My counter top is going to be the issue but that's on me.  Thanks again
acasabia
acasabia

Espresso: Expobar Brewtus iv-p,...
Grinder: Quamar M80e, Hario slim
Vac Pot: Yama Vacpot, Aeropress,
Drip: french press
Roaster: hot-air popper.
Posted Sun Mar 2, 2014, 5:21pm

I saw another thread discussing the G4. I dont know much about it other than it looks nice, its HX, and it has that fancy font all over it.

Personally, for the money I think a dual boiler is a better option. Once, you get over $1600 you might as well push it :D

Anthony C

Currently pulling:
Gimme! Piccolo Mondo Espresso Blend
http://coffeeandneuroscience.wordpress.com/
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Upgrading to a...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Support Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids is a non profit charity working with farming communities around the world. Donate today!
www.coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.332400083542)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+