Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Me and the Vetrano 2B: upcoming 4 month anniversary (my thoughts)
Cafe Solutions
Commercial sales and service, nationwide installation, equipment leasing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Me and the...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
DeanOK
DeanOK
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: QM Vetrano 2B
Grinder: Vario W
Posted Sat Mar 1, 2014, 3:46pm
Subject: Me and the Vetrano 2B: upcoming 4 month anniversary (my thoughts)

I decided to write some observations about my experience with the V2B now that I have had a chance to use it for a while. I wouldn't call this a review because I don't think I am enough of an expert on coffee to write an informed review about an espresso machine. My coffee world is rather small. I know what I like and I shoot for that.

With that said, overall I am happy with the V2B. Prior to this machine I had a CC1 and a Jura super auto and years ago I owned an inexpensive pressurized PF machine.

Pros:
1) The machine makes it possible for me to be consistent... something I struggled with using the CC1. My shot prep has become so routine I know how much to change the grinder settings when I pour a new batch of beans in the grinder. The only time I sink shots these days is when I disassemble the grinder for cleaning... it seems like the first three shots are always course and then it lines out to what I am used to.

2) The water temp delivered to the puck seems to be pretty consistent... not perfect, but not bad. Since I have never had an expensive machine with a saturated brew head, I am not sure how stable they are but I suspect they a few degrees more stable than the V2B but I am not sure my palate would know the difference.

3) I always use a bottomless PF... I rarely have a squirter... I like that. You may think that has nothing to do with the machine but I always have tamped the same and the day the V2B came in the house is the day my squirters stopped.

Cons:
1 I don't like the fact that there is no indication your water level is getting low in the reservoir. I find myself checking this often. This machine can be plumbed in, but at this point I don't want to do that. Adding a water level sensor and a lamp wouldn't cost much at the time of manufacture. The lamp needs to come on in time to let you know you need to refill before you have the opportunity to ruin a shot.

2) The "cavitation" noise problem has gotten worse on my machine. It is annoying and to be honest I expected to hear something from the distributor or QM by now on how to solve this.  This is probably my biggest issue with this machine. Every time I lift the reservoir lid and look at the pickup hose, it has air bubbles in it after the machine has set for a while. I am thinking this is a lot of the problem. I bought a rotary because I wanted a quiet machine... so this may seem petty to some, but for me this is a biggie.

3) I am right handed so the PF handle is always in the way of steaming for me. Lefties should have no issue with this but since most  people are right handed I would have expected the steam to be on the right. The good news is that if you are a lefty, you finally won one. I deal with this by removing the PF before I steam milk. Another option would be A PF that is right of center when it tightens.. don't know if anyone makes a PF handle (or maybe a thinner gasket) that would let the handle tighten up with the handle protruding right of center.
 View Profile Link to this post
gregdreg
gregdreg
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Quick Mill Vetrano 2B
Grinder: Baratza Vario
Drip: Chemex, Aropress,
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Sat Mar 1, 2014, 6:38pm
Subject: Re: Me and the Vetrano 2B: upcoming 4 month anniversary (my thoughts)

Hi
Thanks for the write up on your experience with the Vetrano 2b. CCS is getting the next batch in later this month and I have pre ordered one. Are you using the stock basket or a VST? Which bottomless PF are you using I was thinking of ordering a Rancilio  one. I am going to plumb my machine when it arrives, will that solve the cavitation noise problem? -Greg
jetfuture
jetfuture

Espresso: Gaggia Baby Twin
Grinder: Cunill Tranquilo
Posted Sat Mar 1, 2014, 7:06pm

I've been running the Vetrano 2B for 3 months now.  I've never had cavitation issues that others have had.  Perhaps it is because my line has always been submerged in water from day one (which is dumb luck, I might add).  I just direct-line plumbed it in last week, and still don't have any issues.  I also have the drain line connected to my garbage disposal.

I purchased the filter/softener from Chris Coffee and plumbed it in under the sink.  The Max Adapter that Chris Coffee provided ended up leaking.  Instead of ordering another one from Chris Coffee (and waiting 3-4 days), I drove to a local Culligan Water distributor and purchased an adapter from them.  It actually was a little easier to install than the Max Adapter that CCS provided, and it has a built-in shut-off valve on it.  I wish CCS provided this version of the John Guest fitting (all plastic), instead of the combination brass/plastic one that they included.

I ordered a custom-made wood-handle bottomless portafilter from Clive.  It looks fantastic.  It is a bit more messy than the included spouted portafilters, but it adds that professional touch.  I generally don't have too big of "squirters" with it.

The machine is ULTRA quiet (assuming you aren't having the aforementioned cavitation issues).

I was getting excellent latte art with my old Gaggia Baby Twin (with modified steam tip/wand).  The Vetrano 2B comes from CCS with a 4-hole tip.  I was having a bit of difficulty getting the same "wet paint look" microfoam.  I got a 2-hole tip from CCS, installed it, and immediately got better microfoam.  I also noticed that when the steam is on full-blast, the pressure drops to about 0.9 with the 4-hole, and to about 1.0 with the 2-hole.  For me, the 2-hole seems to work better, although your "mileage may vary."
SpaceTime

Espresso: 83 & 89 Cremina, 85 Coffex
Grinder: HG One, Pharos, LIDO
Drip: Freiling 33 & 44oz FP,...
Posted Sat Mar 1, 2014, 7:15pm

Cavitation noise - Do you think the combination of a rotary pump, non-plumbed (ie - no constant back pressure behind the pump) coupled with the fact the pump is mounted ABOVE the water level (at times - especially as the water level in the tank drops) has anything to do with .... GRRRRR!

The pump being mounted above the motor was touted as a great idea when these were initially made... but did it backfire?  Are all non-plumbed, rotary pumps experiencing a similar issue on other machines, more importantly to the same degree?  You have to then ask "what's different".

I don't own one, so it is just my engineering mind searching for root cause - there has to be a reason.  AND I COULD BE WRONG....

And great question - why no conclusions yet from the manufacturer?  This can't be rocket science.... (unless you got an R58 I guess LOL)

Cheers.
steamer
steamer
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Expobar Brewtus IV R
Grinder: Mazzer Mini-B Baratza...
Vac Pot: Krubs Moka Brew, vacPot
Drip: TechV, and many more
Roaster: Hottop
Posted Sun Mar 2, 2014, 9:14am

One thing that might help is a small in-line check valve mounted on the water supply to keep the water from flowing back into the source.
DeanOK
DeanOK

Grinder: Vario W
Posted Sun Mar 2, 2014, 11:29am

steamer Said:

One thing that might help is a small in-line check valve mounted on the water supply to keep the water from flowing back into the source.

Posted March 2, 2014 link

I wondered the same thing several weeks ago and I looked for a check valve that would be suitable for use with potable water, but not have too much pressure drop. I finally decided that a check valve for use with Reverse Osmosis systems may do the trick. I decided to not do anything at the time and wait for an answer from QM.  They are not expensive... I may give it a try just to see what it does.
Metatron

Espresso: BDB900
Grinder: Vario
Posted Sun Mar 2, 2014, 12:29pm

SpaceTime Said:

Cavitation noise - Do you think the combination of a rotary pump, non-plumbed (ie - no constant back pressure behind the pump) coupled with the fact the pump is mounted ABOVE the water level (at times - especially as the water level in the tank drops) has anything to do with .... GRRRRR!

The pump being mounted above the motor was touted as a great idea when these were initially made... but did it backfire?  Are all non-plumbed, rotary pumps experiencing a similar issue on other machines, more importantly to the same degree?  You have to then ask "what's different".

I don't own one, so it is just my engineering mind searching for root cause - there has to be a reason.  AND I COULD BE WRONG....

And great question - why no conclusions yet from the manufacturer?  This can't be rocket science.... (unless you got an R58 I guess LOL)

Cheers.

Posted March 1, 2014 link

I believe you have it backwards. The motor is above the pump so if the pump leaks you don't get water in the motor. So the pump position is probably not the problem. It is at the lowest point.
SpaceTime

Espresso: 83 & 89 Cremina, 85 Coffex
Grinder: HG One, Pharos, LIDO
Drip: Freiling 33 & 44oz FP,...
Posted Sun Mar 2, 2014, 2:40pm

Metatron Said:

I believe you have it backwards. The motor is above the pump so if the pump leaks you don't get water in the motor. So the pump position is probably not the problem. It is at the lowest point.

Posted March 2, 2014 link

LOL... told ya I could be wrong.  Not sure what I was thinking when I posted, I actually knew that - and yes I do have it backwards.

But the point about it being "different" is still valid.  ;-)

Gotta post BEFORE I hit the Cabernet next time.  Thanks for clearing that up.
gregdreg
gregdreg

Espresso: Quick Mill Vetrano 2B
Grinder: Baratza Vario
Drip: Chemex, Aropress,
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Sun Mar 2, 2014, 4:46pm

jetfuture Said:

I also have the drain line connected to my garbage disposal.

Posted March 1, 2014 link

Hi what fitting did you use to make this connection? Are you using a pressure regulator on your set up, I am going to have to because my house line runs 125 psi the one CCS sells is a metal plastic combo.
sharky
sharky

Grinder: Compak K3 Touch
Posted Sun Mar 2, 2014, 7:15pm

DeanOK, thanks for posting some feedback on the Vetrano 2B.  Do you remember all the hype before it finally came out . . . the post was at the top of the page for weeks!  LOL!  Once everyone got the machine, you never heard from them again!  Hehe!   It must be . . . . BECAUSE WE ALL LOVE THE VETRANO 2B!!!  I know I do and am extremely happy with the purchase!  I expect to have it for atleast 10-15 years . . . pretty tough to improve on perfection, no?  Well, aside from the cavitation noises some are experiencing!  I hope QM or Chris gets back to you on how to resolve it . . . good luck!
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Me and the...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Stefano's Espresso Care
Repair - Parts - Sales
Factory Authorized &
Trained Technician
www.espressocare.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.411844015121)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+