Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Eye candy for V3 Rocket Espresso machines
Green Unroasted Coffee
Free shipping. Save 15% on variety pack, use 'variety' at checkout
www.madbeanscoffee

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Eye candy for V3...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
NobbyR
NobbyR
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Poccino Opus One, Ariete
Grinder: Eureka Mignon Istantaneo
Vac Pot: N/A
Drip: Melitta Linea Unica de Luxe
Roaster: N/A
Posted Thu Mar 6, 2014, 2:40am
Subject: Eye candy for V3 Rocket Espresso machines

So it seems that the biggest innovation of the Rocket Espresso Cellini/Giotto V3 is a PID, which is mostly superfluous on an HX machine like these. It's a pity that RE sees it necessary to jump on that fashion train.

Any thoughts or comments?

"This drink of the Satan is so delicious that it would be a shame to leave it to the infidels." (Pope Clement VIII on coffee, when he was urged to ban the beverage)
 View Profile Link to this post
calblacksmith
calblacksmith
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Thu Mar 6, 2014, 5:02am
Subject: Re: Eye candy for V3 Rocket Espresso machines

There are some good reasons to use a PID for sure such as improved reliability and less so for "noise" but the use of it IMPLIES better shot control and temp stability to uninformed consumers but if you understand how the system works, you know that it isn't true.

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
NobbyR
NobbyR

Posted Thu Mar 6, 2014, 5:44am

calblacksmith Said:

There are some good reasons to use a PID for sure such as improved reliability and less so for "noise" but the use of it IMPLIES better shot control and temp stability to uninformed consumers but if you understand how the system works, you know that it isn't true.

Posted March 6, 2014 link

Even though the reasons you state, Wayne, are true, I don't think prosumer HX machines with a regular pressostat are notorious for being unreliable, not very durable, or the pressostat being extremely loud. After all, the clicking of the pressostat is nothing compared to the noise of a vibration pump or most ginders anyway. To me, it's the machine telling me, we're ready to go.  ;-)

And I don't think that manufacturers will advertise their PIDed machines being quiter and much more durable. They're more likely to brag about improved temperature control.

"This drink of the Satan is so delicious that it would be a shame to leave it to the infidels." (Pope Clement VIII on coffee, when he was urged to ban the beverage)
cingkrab

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Thu Mar 6, 2014, 8:37am

Have you seen one of these new Rocket HX machines?  Or maybe have some eye candy/pictures/link?
NobbyR
NobbyR

Posted Thu Mar 6, 2014, 8:55am

As far as I know, they'll look pretty much like the V2, because the PID will probably be external like with the R58. But I haven't seen any official pictures yet. However, you could already pre-order one, if you wanted to: click here.

HiTecHoBo

Expertise: Pro Roaster

Posted Thu Mar 6, 2014, 12:55pm

I received this reply from Andrew Meo on Feb 13, 2013, just before I ordered my Evolutione V2.

"Hi Terence

Thanks for your email and interest

We will not be releasing further PID versions of our HX machines. While PID is an alternative it is not necessarily better
As far a V3 versions go there will not be any upgrades to the existing model range this year

Regards

Andrew Meo"

Well, he was right, not that year.

I would cherish PID on my Evolutione V2 for the ability to adjust brew temps. I live in a hundred year old cabin in North Texas that I heat with a Wood Stove. Temperature swings in my mostly glass kitchen swing widely. This winter with morning temperatures outside @ 10, inside might be near 40. That inside temperature effects machine performance, a few days later we'll have daytime temps @ 80.  Likewise in the Summer, with outside @ 100, inside the kitchen will be mid 80s. PID would allow for better temperature control, my situation may be the exception. YMMV ..

I have also asked Andrew if it was possible to add lighted gauges to the machines. His reply Nov 16, 2013:

"Like you I would love to see little LED lights inside the gauges and this is something I tried to have earlier, however at that time the gauge was not available with the light unfortunately
I now hear that they are available and in fact wait for a sample to have a look at!!

Regards

Andrew"

I'd rather have Rocket add Blu-Tooth to the PID control function and release an Apple iPhone / iPad app. Everything's better with Blu-Tooth.

HiTecHoBo
boar_d_laze

Espresso: La Cimbali M21 DT/1 Junior...
Grinder: Ceado E92; "Bunnzilla"
Vac Pot: Royal Coffee Maker
Drip: Chemex + Kone; Espro Press
Roaster: USRC Sample Roaster
Posted Thu Mar 6, 2014, 1:22pm

I would cherish PID on my Evolutione V2 for the ability to adjust brew temps.... PID would allow for better temperature control, my situation may be the exception. YMMV.

No one's mileage is going to vary.  You misunderstand both how a p-stat functions in an HX like the Rocket Evoluzione, and how a PID would function as its replacement.  

A p-stat reacts to boiler pressure changes, not temperature changes.  The boiler temperature is purely a function of pressure.  Since PV = nRT in a closed system (like an HX boiler), the boiler temperature is almost wholly unaffected by external temperature.  

If a PID is used by an HX machine to control boiler temperature, the PID can be fitted to respond to pressure OR temperature.  It doesn't matter, because (wait for it) PV = nRT.  

In order to produce steam, the boiler temperature must be well above the brew temperature range.  As a practical matter, "well above" is typically at least 40F hotter than the high end of normal brew temperatures.  Since the boiler water temperature is so high, p-stat or PID, the so called "water-dance"/cooling-flush routine is a necessary part of HX use.  

Rich
calblacksmith
calblacksmith

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Thu Mar 6, 2014, 9:39pm

Thanks Rich.+1

As to the reasons I gave, I did not mean to imply anything other than what I said. SOME people complain about the pstat click, it does not bother me at all and on the LA Cimbali, IIT is a micro switch and it makes no noise at all.

Durability has not been an issue with my machines but IF a pstat fails, I may replace it with a PID as they cost less than a sarai commercial stat and has no moving parts. It will not do anything at all for brewing so that was never a thought.

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
HiTecHoBo

Expertise: Pro Roaster

Posted Fri Mar 7, 2014, 1:10am

Hi Terence

Thanks for the email

There is no new Evoluzione V3!!

The Plus V2 with the vibration pump is now the V3 PID but no changes to the Evoluzione!

Regards

Andrew
caramelcrema
caramelcrema

Espresso: Breville Dual Boiler...
Grinder: Rancilio Rocky
Posted Tue May 20, 2014, 3:23pm

Does anyone know if they put a rotary pump in the V3? I find it interesting that Rocket hasn't even put the V3 on their website. I see the professionale version on their website, but I haven't seen them for sale in the US. Whats the difference between the premium plus and the classic? Sorry for all the questions but I am thinking about making the switch from my Breville Dual Boiler. I have already had problems after two years and want a machine that can be serviced and last a couple decades.
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Eye candy for V3...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Home Espresso Machines
Watch videos with Gail & Kat, Rocket, Jura Capresso, Saeco, Rancilio, Quick Mill, Nespresso
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.485198020935)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+