Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Well CC1 is going back...
Support Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids is a non profit charity working with farming communities around the world. Donate today!
www.coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Well CC1 is...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
bossman

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Mini Vivladi II
Grinder: Baratza Vario-W
Drip: Cuisinart
Roaster: Soon I hope
Posted Thu Mar 6, 2014, 5:31pm
Subject: Well CC1 is going back...

So now I will be looking again.  I do NOT want to downgrade, and since the CC1 was in a class of its own that means upgrading.  I think I want an HX machine, needs to be tank capable but also being plumb-in capable would be great for later on.  I already have a Vario-W so this will be machine only and I have all  the accessories.  I would like to stay in the 1200-1400 range at absolute max.  Wholattelove has an Exobar Office Lever for just over $1100 and it is really a pretty machine.  Any thoughts on this or anything else in my price range?  I would really like a looker since I am spending more, good steam is a must too the CC1 was just ok there.

http://www.wholelattelove.com/Expobar/office_lever.cfm?
 View Profile Link to this post
DeanOK
DeanOK
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: QM Vetrano 2B
Grinder: Vario W
Posted Thu Mar 6, 2014, 6:26pm
Subject: Re: Well CC1 is going back...

Maybe I missed it, but what was your reason for not liking the CC1? Maybe there is a clue there about what you should be looking for.
bossman

Posted Thu Mar 6, 2014, 6:43pm

I loved it, but whenever I flushed from either the brew group or steam wand I would get sediment or some kind of flecking in the water, even after flushing over 60 tanks of water and also trying 5 gallons of bottled water.  Someone else posted in my thread that they were having the same issue so I decided it was time to return.  The only issue I had, other that the defect, was the poor steam power, but that was not a deal breaker.
CMIN

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Crossland CC1
Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Posted Thu Mar 6, 2014, 8:29pm

Did they or Bill C ever get back to you about that sediment thing? Wonder if something clogged your thermo block if your steam was weak, mine is strong, not h/x strong, but really nice and smooth steam,  makes some killer smooth and velvety microfoam. I just checked Chris Coffee and and they have a Faema Carisma for just under 1400. Have you checked the buy/sell area here, may snag a deal on a killer machine.
bossman

Posted Thu Mar 6, 2014, 8:58pm

Yeah Bill thought it was oxidation from the heating element heating w/o water and said it should go away.  After two weeks it was still happening anytime the machine sat idle for a while.  I thought it was getting better until yesterday when I flushed in the morning and it was just as bad as the first time.  Didn't even get a morning coffee because I did not have enough time to flush it enough to make the stuff go away.  Super frustrating and I have a feeling that stuff may have been in the thermo block causing the irratic and low pressure steam.

It will probably be a couple weeks before I get my refund and I will need probably another couple weeks before I have enough extra to get a better machine.  I am really looking hard at the Exobar lever office but I will done a lot of research before buying.

Edit: Wow I am in love with the Faema Carisma! I see it listed for $1550 though, is there a discount he gives or something?
billc

Expertise: Professional

Espresso: CC1 - GS - GS3 - GB5
Grinder: Baratza - Mazzer-Marzocco
Drip: My own Creation
Posted Fri Mar 7, 2014, 8:27am

Yes, the cause of this is heating the machine without first filling the boiler.  The CC1 does have dual over temp protection.  The first is the temperature sensor, when the boiler reaches temperatures over 220 degrees F it shuts down the machine.  If there is a catastrophic failure somewhere, there is a thermal fuse that goes and also cuts off power to the boiler.

If there is no water in the boiler, the heating element is exposed to the air.  The actual element reaches temperatures way beyond the 220 degrees F before the software shuts it down.  During this time the air oxidizes on the heating element.  When it cools down the oxidation is allowed to flake off.  

Please note that this only happens when the boiler is not filled prior to use.  If the element is immersed in water it will never reach such temperatures.

BillC
bossman

Posted Fri Mar 7, 2014, 8:49am

Bill,

How is it possible for that to happen?  When I got the machine I plugged it in and followed the manual to fill the boiler.  Since that very first start up there was never a time it was without water in the tank, ever.  It took over 20 tanks of water and 5 gallons of bottled water before I was able to flush without any of the sediment in the water.  Then every time I would use it, then try to use it again even a couple hours later I would have to flush 1-3 tanks again before the water would be clear, only to have the same thing the very next time.

I can see maybe the first time, but after that unless there was a defect it should have had water in it the whole time since the tank had water, correct?

I loved the machine other then that issue, but it was not usable like that to me.  I shipped it this morning back to SCG they said they would get it to you to look at.
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Well CC1 is...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Rocket R58 Double Boiler
Rocket Espresso R58 Double Boiler -  Everything you need for the perfect shot!
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.312023878098)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+