Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
DeLonghi EC155 dripping water from diffuser
Commercial Equipment
Nuova Simonelli, La Marzocco, Rancilio. Nationwide installation. Instant financing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > DeLonghi EC155...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
Bence

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Mon Mar 10, 2014, 11:31am
Subject: DeLonghi EC155 dripping water from diffuser

Hello everyone.

First things first, sorry if my english grammar fails but its not my native language. I still hope you will understand my problem. If thats a problem. So anyway as you can read from the topic title, I own an ec155. I bought it used, but it still hase one month warranty. It works pretty okay. This is the third day im using it, and this never happened before: I turned it on, waited 20 mins when i noticed that some water is dripping from the diffuser. Thats kind of scary... : )
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
Bence

Posted Wed Mar 19, 2014, 7:44am
Subject: Re: DeLonghi EC155 dripping water from diffuser

anybody? : (
Burner0000

Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Rancilio Silvia, VFA Expres...
Grinder: Macap MX/VFA N1464/Kyocera...
Drip: Manual Drip, French Press
Roaster: Behmor 1600 / Sonofresco
Posted Wed Mar 19, 2014, 7:54am

Defuser?.. Do you mean the group screen or steam wand?  The EC155 is a very entry level machine that doesn't have any type of over pressure valve and very cheap gaskets which are prone to leaking.  15 bars of pressure stuck in a fist size aluminum can. :) Has to go somewhere.
 View Profile Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
Burner0000

Posted Wed Mar 19, 2014, 7:56am

So I am sure ypu mean the group shower screen/defuser.  Every machine has a bit of water left up there.  Even My Silvia has a good deal on condensation in the portafilter after warm up. I keep a rag handy for this and other espresso prep. As long as it's not dripping or more it's normal.
Bence

Posted Wed Mar 19, 2014, 8:04am

Burner0000 Said:

Defuser?.. Do you mean the group screen or steam wand?  The EC155 is a very entry level machine that doesn't have any type of over pressure valve and very cheap gaskets which are prone to leaking.  15 bars of pressure stuck in a fist size aluminum can. :) Has to go somewhere.

Posted March 19, 2014 link

well yeah that makes sense : ) I know its a cheap machine but right now its the only one I can afford. the steam wand works like a charm, I rarely see any water under it. the water is dropping from the group screen (now at least I know the proper word for that) funny but I after I descaled it whit citric acid the problem went away for a few days. the water fizzed it a bit - think there was some scale in it. I always use filtered water, maybe its not the best solution

edit: just read your new comment, now I'm a bit relieved
Burner0000

Posted Wed Mar 19, 2014, 8:33am

Bence Said:

well yeah that makes sense : ) I know its a cheap machine but right now its the only one I can afford. the steam wand works like a charm, I rarely see any water under it. the water is dropping from the group screen (now at least I know the proper word for that) funny but I after I descaled it whit citric acid the problem went away for a few days. the water fizzed it a bit - think there was some scale in it. I always use filtered water, maybe its not the best solution

edit: just read your new comment, now I'm a bit relieved

FYI don't descale it again. You need a 3 way solenoid valve for it and the ec155 doesn't have one.  Also you shouldn't use citric acid with an aluminum boiler.  Citric acid reacts to aluminum and you can end up with not so good residue in your espresso.
D4F

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Gaggia Classic PID
Grinder: Baratza Forte-AP
Posted Wed Mar 19, 2014, 10:40am

Bence, welcome to CG and sorry that the reply is so late.  Rather than repost from the other thread, please read the thread below.  The "valve" portion may explain the drip problem.

Click Here (coffeegeek.com)

D4F also at
http://www.gaggiausersgroup.com/
 View Profile Link to this post
Bence

Posted Wed Mar 19, 2014, 3:30pm

D4F Said:

Bence, welcome to CG and sorry that the reply is so late.  Rather than repost from the other thread, please read the thread below.  The "valve" portion may explain the drip problem.

Click Here (coffeegeek.com)

hi there D4F and thank you for that information

this evening I tried to unscrew the screw that holds the diffuser thight up but it feels like its stucked as hell - okay, its a 2 year old machine-- fine. as far as I understand the picture linked in the post you copied here, if I remove the bottom I'll have some more space do the job. right now im worried if I ruin the screw. I've honestly no clue from what is it made of and from where can I buy a replacement... : ((
D4F

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Gaggia Classic PID
Grinder: Baratza Forte-AP
Posted Wed Mar 19, 2014, 3:54pm

Best if the machine is hot as mentioned in the last post on the other thread.  The driver must fit well, so find one that fits, or wait until you do.  It will have a metric thread and should not be that difficult to replace, but if you ruin the top and don't get it out, that is more difficult.  You may need two people, one to push on or steady the machine while you push and turn.

D4F also at
http://www.gaggiausersgroup.com/
 View Profile Link to this post
Bence

Posted Thu Mar 20, 2014, 12:50pm

this afternoon I re-read the post linked up here by D4F. the idea of the stucked in piece of scale got bugged me. what if the same thing is happening with my machine. its wasn't dripping when I first started to use it, just after a few days. then I descaled it and everything went back to normal, no dripping. back then i was like okay, the previous owner was lazy. "this was the solution, the problem went away, yay, lets drink some coffee"

thats why I was confused when the problem came back again a few days ago. now what...  so I was like, fcuk it, lets do this - again. I did the descale progress as mentioned in the manual. and just wow: no dripping. i certanly hope that i dont have to repeat this every other week... because thats definitely not normal... now the used coffee ground is dry again after the coffee is done, not watery as it was before the descaling
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > DeLonghi EC155...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Cafe Solutions
Commercial sales and service, nationwide installation, equipment leasing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.350485801697)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+