Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
What it the best espresso maker?
Rancilio Silvia - How to
Step by step guide for easy brewing and steaming with the Rancilio Silvia
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > What it the best...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
Radah2014

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Wed Mar 12, 2014, 9:10am
Subject: What it the best espresso maker?

So its my bf's birthday and I want to buy him an espresso maker. I've gone on websites and asked friends but I'm getting mixed responses, and I have no idea what to do. I can't spend too much on it cause I'm a poor college student, probably 50-200$, but I'd prefer the cheapest for the best quality.

thanks!
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
uscfroadie
uscfroadie
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: GS/3 Strada MP, BDB; owned...
Grinder: Forte, Zass and PeDe hand...
Vac Pot: Nope
Drip: Nope
Roaster: owned Behmor
Posted Wed Mar 12, 2014, 9:20am
Subject: Re: What it the best espresso maker?

Sorry to not give you the answer you are looking for, but for that price range, I'd start finding alternative gifts.  The machine you can buy in that range will never get used.
 View Profile Link to this post
convan23

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Wed Mar 12, 2014, 9:31am

You are probably going to get a lot of people on this forum trying to talk you into spending more or going another route because they'll give you the rundown that "great espresso" can't be had from a sub $200 set up. While this may be true, my girlfriend (who I am now marrying in a few short weeks!) back in college gave me an espresso machine and I will always cite that as one of the best presents I've ever received. Sure, the espresso it made sucked compared to what I drink now, but it gave me roots to enjoy coffee as a hobby, and I have since spent many, many more dollars in pursuing "great espresso" (which, depending on how you look at it, may not be a good thing ;-) )

If this is your BF's first entry into great coffee, my recommendation would not be an espresso machine though...I would consider an aeropress and a hario slim grinder:

Click Here (www.amazon.com)
Click Here (www.amazon.com)

This will give you better coffee then a sub $200 espresso machine, and you can make the coffee just as strong as most espresso, and will taste much better then a cheaper espresso machine. This is NOT an espresso machine, but will give you amazing coffee. I still use mine today.

If you are set on getting an espresso machine; you have two options (in my opinion). One, get a nespresso. People on here will probably advise against it, but they are easy and don't require much investment. Designed for people that just want their morning java and aren't coffee nuts. If you think he's going to get into coffee, you can consider the Delonghi EC155. It's actually the same machine I got back in college, and will produce a coffee that looks like espresso and tastes like strong coffee. If your BF gets really into it he'll outgrow the machine quickly, but it is the machine that I attribute to introducing myself to the espresso world and again, consider it one of the best gift I've ever received (granted, I ended up buying the above AeroPress and hand grinder just a few weeks later). Just know that if he's the type of person to actually turn coffee into a hobby, espresso is a very, very expensive one :-)

Whatever you end up doing, be sure to buy some fresh roasted coffee to go with it... (look for a roast date on the coffee, if it doesn't have a roast date within the last 2 weeks it isn't fresh)
Best of luck!
Buckley

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Wed Mar 12, 2014, 9:39am

Let's try to help by reading between the lines:
  1. Your bf likes coffee.
  2. I do not know whether or not he makes his own or he and you primarily use cafes.  You are positioning him to make coffee or espresso at home, so let's go with that.
  3. You may or may not have read the many posts on this web site that emphasize the importance of a good grinder, so let me assure you that to get great flavor out of great coffee beans you have to marry (no, not you. I'm not trying to start something)...one has to marry well micro-shredded (not crushed) coffee beans with the correct amount of good water at the correct temperature range and for the correct amount of time.  There are many ways to get the correct amount, quality, temperature and brew time of water to make coffee.  A water kettle, a mug and a clean sock will do.  But there is only one way to get well-ground coffee and that is to buy a good grinder.

Bottom line: Give him a gift of a good coffee grinder that he can enjoy for years.  Perhaps add a French Press pot if the finances permit.  Then you can parlay this to give him an inexpensive but good espresso machine in a year or two as expenses permit at that time.

For this year, I suggest giving him a gift of a Gaggia MDF grinder or any of the Baratza grinders, pehaps the Vario.  Then next year or thereafter, buy him a Mypressi espresso machine, $169.

Buckley
Ian
Ian

Espresso: Euro2000,Rancilio
Grinder: Mazzer,La Cimbali
Vac Pot: Cona-->CraigA
Drip: Belgique for emergencies
Roaster: Primas with variac
Posted Wed Mar 12, 2014, 9:45am

You could get a moka pot and save up for something worthwhile?

Cheers

Ian

www.videojug.com/film/how-to-behave-on-an-internet-forum
Radah2014

Posted Wed Mar 12, 2014, 10:09am

Thanks for reply
Crow
Crow

Grinder: Zass Havanna
Vac Pot: Cona Old no. 2
Roaster: Poppery II
Posted Sun Mar 16, 2014, 6:46pm

A Saeco Poema (Amazon about $100) will make espresso that is way way above say a Starbucks made cup.

There are no cheap electric grinders. A portable grinder, such as a Zass works well for me, cost about $100, but it was bought long ago when the quality perhaps was better than it is now. It takes 150 turns to grind 7 grams of beans. But some beans require much less force, making the job infinitely easier. Such as this from Amazon which are beans so easy to grind it takes concentration to determine when you have ground all the beans (because it takes so little force to turn the grinder crank compared with other beans).

Amazon (White House Espresso whole bean) (a particularly dark and shiney roast):

http://tinyurl.com/White-Coffee

Saeco Poema:  

http://tinyurl.com/amazon-poema

Good luck finding a manual grinder good enough to make a really fine grind as my Zassenhaus  does. With some searching they are out there. I had to modify it by adding an extra stainless steel washers and a wider nut to compress the spring tighter, in order to make it grind fine enough. Easy enough, took maybe 5 minutes with the correct size end wrench.

For $200 I get espresso that blows Starbucks away (but then that is a low bar, and easy to do :) )

Some folks around here believe the Hario ceramic grinder is a good choice, I think I've seen some mods for it around here in the forum , to make it better for espresso...

http://tinyurl.com/grinders-geek

http://tinyurl.com/amazon-hario
Crow
Crow

Grinder: Zass Havanna
Vac Pot: Cona Old no. 2
Roaster: Poppery II
Posted Sun Mar 16, 2014, 7:15pm

I took a look at my modified Zass just now. Actually what I added were two flat washers with a common lock washer in between them. All 3 are stainless steel. I did not add a nut. And I did not need an end wrench, only the correct size screwdriver, which I had to go and purchase. It is a common slotted screw, nothing special, but a long and wide slot.

Slide off the bottom cap and turn upside down, right on the top will be a screw with a wide and long slot. You need a good screwdriver that fits, might have to take the Zass into store to find correct fitting screwdriver (if you don't already have a dozen kicking around, it which case one should fit).

Unscrew. There is already one washer there. Add a flat washer, the lock washer, anoter flat washer under the screw head. Screw it back. Done.

The Zass screw is 3/8" wide, the flat washers need to be a tiny bit wider. Thickness: the stack of 2 flat washers with lock washer in between measures .150" on my modified stack of washers. .125" would be 1/8", so a little thickness more than 1/8" was added.

I'm not sure of the hole size. I might be necessary to take the grinder in the store to find which washer has holes small enough to just barely fit, which is what you want.

Result: it now grinds much finer than before. However it does not do as well for courser grounds, like it used to. Which I don't care about, as long as it does the finest grind.

You can try different thickness of washers, if you can find them at hardware store. I went to a local large independent hardware store, not a chain store, because their stock is out there in drawers not packed behind clear plastic, so I could examine them before purchase.

My Zass was the turkish Zass, this one, but not bought here, and since it was made earlier, perhaps the quality of them now is not as good, who knows?

http://tinyurl.com/Marias-zass
calblacksmith
calblacksmith
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Mon Mar 17, 2014, 6:23am

Espresso is more than a machine, there is no BEST machine but some starter machines are better than others. In espresso and coffee in general, it is the GRINDER that is the important machine, not the water heater that gets all the attention.

A quality grinder with a motor, for ESPRESSO starts at $350 for the bottom ranking of grinders that are able to do espresso. For other use aside from espresso, about $150 can get you a starter grinder that is quality and if you must stay with less than that, move to a hand powered grinder for under $100.

Choppers with whirly blades are NOT coffee grinders and will not produce properly ground coffee. They will produce pulverized powder to boulders from the beans. The powder will over extract very quickly and the boulders will never give up anything.

Consistency is the key to good coffee and espresso. A consistent size grind is mandatory as is fresh, properly roasted coffee beans. Fresh for espresso is less than TWO WEEKS FROM THE DAY THEY WERE ROASTED not a best by date or a use before date. For other methods of brewing you can eek that out a bit and get as much as a month from the beans depending on how sensitive you are to the staling process. Coffee is a food and like all foods, it will spoil. Just because it is hard and brown does not mean that it does not spoil, it does and you can taste it.

There is a fairly negative comment above from a new member here about how we will try to get you to spend more money, that is not true, we WILL tell you that for even a base starter grinder and a base starter machine for true espresso, it will require a bigger budget. There are NEAR espresso methods such as a Moka pot, that will give you an espresso LIKE coffee, it is the way that nearly all Italians make their daily brew but it is not espresso.

With coffee it is a GRINDER AND a brew method, not just a machine. You can not have good coffee from pre ground coffee. It is stale long before you buy it. Would you buy an apple at the store then have the produce manager cut it into hundreds of pieces because you do not have a knife at home? What would you have by the time you got home? Brown mush right? The same thing happens to coffee but it is brown to start with so you do not see it.

Welcome to the board, hang out, learn. We welcome all questions!

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
CMIN

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Crossland CC1
Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Posted Mon Mar 17, 2014, 11:20am

I started with a Bar 32 (samething as the Delonghi EC155) and Hario Slim grinder, cheap, everyone starts somewhere and gf had gotten it for me so I had no clue what else was available. Then she created a monsters, heh. I had modded the Bar 32, if you grind beans before use and those beans are fresh roasted, will be much better then going to Charbucks and getting a cup. No comparison to my setup now and I don't even have an high end setup.

If budget is tight, hard to beat an Aeropress and a cheap hand grinder like the Harios.
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > What it the best...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Commercial Equipment
Nuova Simonelli, La Marzocco, Rancilio. Nationwide installation. Instant financing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.340523958206)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+