Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Dow Corning 111 - question
Cafe Espresso Machines
Video reviews, nationwide installation, leasing options... Nuova Simonelli, Rancilio, La Marzocco.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Dow Corning 111...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
Tonyv138

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: V2B
Grinder: Mazzer SJ
Posted Mon Mar 17, 2014, 6:49pm
Subject: Dow Corning 111 - question

Sorry if this specific question has been answered. I could not find the answer.

I never used this before, and what I found is this package. Is this the one to use to lube the grouphead? It seems the name has changed.

Please advise

Thanks in advance, Tony

Tonyv138: MC1.JPG
(Click for larger image)
 View Profile Link to this post
DavecUK

Posted Mon Mar 17, 2014, 6:58pm
Subject: Re: Dow Corning 111 - question

Thats the stuff you want, when I last bought it it was called Molycote 111, didn't think the name had changed?

Just make sure any surfaces you lube with it are completely dry, otherwise it will simply slide off. Once on, exposure to water then doesn't wash it off.
Tonyv138

Espresso: V2B
Grinder: Mazzer SJ
Posted Mon Mar 17, 2014, 7:01pm

Thanks Dave!

I suspected so, but wanted to make sure
germantownrob
germantownrob

Espresso: Duetto 3, A Dead Oscar
Grinder: Vario-W, Preciso w/Esatto,...
Drip: Brazen
Roaster: Diedrich IR-1, HT B
Posted Tue Mar 18, 2014, 7:16am

I had the same concern if it was the same product as well. I found a product page that discussed the name changes but the product was the same.
frcn
frcn
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Vibiemme Domobar Double
Grinder: Mazzer Kony, Baratza...
Vac Pot: Hario, 2 Cory pots, 1 Cory...
Drip: Behmor Brazen, Bunn A10 mod...
Roaster: computer controlled Hottop,...
Posted Tue Mar 18, 2014, 8:39am

I had to check a few pages as well. I wonder who the marketing geniuses were who decided to put "Moly" in the name of a silicone lubricant? Normally that is used to designate a lubricant with molybdenum in it. A valuable additive for high pressure or high shear lubricants, but not for use in espresso machine groups.

What's next? "Carborundum Brand Grit-Glide" personal lubricant?

Visit My Website
www.EspressoMyEspresso.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
arcade

Espresso: Olympia Cremina
Grinder: Vario
Drip: Aeropress
Roaster: Poppery II
Posted Tue Mar 18, 2014, 10:20am

Somebody at Dow likes Moly like Miley does!
SpaceTime

Espresso: 83 & 89 Cremina, 85 Coffex
Grinder: HG One, Pharos, LIDO
Drip: Freiling 33 & 44oz FP,...
Posted Wed Mar 19, 2014, 6:06pm

Originally, in the US Market for many years the product was called Dow 111 and packaged / marketed under that name - and packaged / marketed under Molycote 111 for the European and other markets.

In the last couple of years, they started selling the product under the name MolyKote111 to the US market also, and dropped the Dow 111 branding on the label.  Rest assured they are the SAME exact product.  I just bought a tube exactly as pictured on Amazon two months ago, and rebuilt two Creminas with it.  I used Dow 111 for years in other applications, and talked to a Dow rep a year ago to verify the facts.

What is amusing - Dow Corning decided to eliminate any "confusion" by selling it under one name moving forward, and in the process kind of created some confusion!  LOL (as your post alludes to).

Years ago, you could get it under the name Dow 111 here in the US as some may recall.  
Your are good to go with MolyKote 111 - it is Dow 111 and what you are searching for.
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Dow Corning 111...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Rocket R58 Double Boiler
Rocket Espresso R58 Double Boiler -  Everything you need for the perfect shot!
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.311849832535)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+