Espresso: Espresso Machines
Gaggia self-priming steam valve plug
Stefano's Espresso Care
Repair - Parts - Sales
Factory Authorized &
Trained Technician
www.espressocare.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Gaggia...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
misterlambert

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Tue Mar 18, 2014, 8:34am
Subject: Gaggia self-priming steam valve plug

This morning, my old school Gaggia blew its (plastic!) self-priming steam valve fitting and it seems to be stripped. I'll probably replace it but in the mean time I'd like to plug it but I don't want to damage the threads. Can anyone tell me its correct diameter and threading? Or should I just literally stick a cork in it?
 View Profile Link to this post
D4F

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Gaggia Classic PID
Grinder: Baratza Forte-AP
Posted Tue Mar 18, 2014, 9:51am
Subject: Re: Gaggia self-priming steam valve plug

Jason, welcome to CG.

The fix is to plug it not replace.  They all are leaking, or will.  When they leak it will affect brew pressure.  You can just plug it and prime by opening the steam valve until a bit of water escapes.  I do not remember seeing the thread size though there was another recent post.  You can remove the threaded section and match threads, likely metric, or tap and rethread to a common size.

D4F also at
http://www.gaggiausersgroup.com/
misterlambert

Posted Tue Mar 18, 2014, 10:45am

Yeah I see that the feature has been completely eliminated. Although it's a great machine I've never felt like it has quite the pressure it should and I wouldn't be surprised if this was the culprit but replacement ones are steel and obviously of a higher quality so I thought I would at least give a new one a chance. Just in general, I hate to perform any modification to anything that can't be undone until I'm positive it's an improvement. I suppose I can pull the fitting and take it with me to the hardware store to try to eyeball and buy a cork at the same time in case my eyes deceive me - especially since the blown fitting is quite stripped.

It would still be nice if someone could give me the definitive specs for the fitting though. I don't really want to end up having to remove the steam valve to match threads.

I suppose if I buy a plastic threaded plug it won't damage the threads, though - even if it doesn't match perfectly.
D4F

Posted Tue Mar 18, 2014, 11:38am

It will be an improvement.  Some of the less expensive Gaggias still have the SPV, but it will fail.  They all do, just when.  Be careful trying plastic. That valve, or plug must hold against pump pressure, 150ish to 200 psi depending on how it is safety valved or OPV'd.  That will also be seeing steam temperature.  The very reasons that the valves fail.  Match or tap the threads, water and electricity can prove exciting.  If you bought a new valve, most would advise finding a valve that is the same as OEM original minus the SPV.

Which Gaggia?

D4F also at
SJM

Espresso: SAMA, Gaggia Classic
Grinder: K-10PB, Rancilio MD-50
Vac Pot: no like
Drip: no like
Roaster: HotTop
Posted Tue Mar 18, 2014, 12:02pm

You need a 1/16" NPT pipe tap
and a 1/16" NPT plug
misterlambert

Posted Tue Mar 18, 2014, 12:25pm

"Coffee" model, serial number 000235 so it's old. Like I said the fitting was plastic to start with and it lasted that long. I'm not too worried about it getting wet since it sprayed water all over its internals when it popped this morning. I'm pretty comfortable working on things like this I just don't want to end up having to replace the whole valve. The only one I see is the steel one on wholelattelove. Also, there was a spring in the hose that leads back to the reservoir but it seems like it should have a needle or ball valve in there pressing against the fitting to act as a pressure gauge but it didn't, and the fitting was still tightly connected to the hose, it blew out from the valve. I haven't looked closely in my reservoir for it yet.
D4F

Posted Tue Mar 18, 2014, 12:29pm

Here is the fix thread for more explanation.  The NPT give the best seal without a gasket, IIRC.  Perhaps if you found a thread match bolt of the correct length, so that you still use the Viton gasket, you could avoid the tap. Or if you find the correct threads, "adjust" the length :)

Click Here (www.gaggiausersgroup.com)

Viton ring and fittings similar to this

http://www.partsguru.com/user/ER0077-01.PDF

D4F also at
witoldb

Espresso: Sanremo Treviso LX,...
Grinder: Vario,Elektra MXS,...
Roaster: DIY 250g drum roaster
Posted Wed Mar 19, 2014, 12:28am

Thread size for Gaggia part No EF0099 (item 63 on Gaggia Coffee Deluxe drawing) is M7 x 0.75
misterlambert

Posted Thu Mar 20, 2014, 12:58pm

witoldb Said:

Thread size for Gaggia part No EF0099 (item 63 on Gaggia Coffee Deluxe drawing) is M7 x 0.75

Posted March 19, 2014 link

Thanks, Man! That's exactly the info I was looking for.
misterlambert

Posted Fri Mar 21, 2014, 6:12am

Well, after quite a bit of searching I came to the conclusion that it's basically impossible to find an m7x0.75 bolt. I accepted the closest match and bought a couple m7x1.0 bolts for a nickle on clearance at Lowe's, wrapped one in teflon tape and screwed it in. It held fine for my normal morning americano that I've been missing the last couple days, but we'll see how it does under steam pressure when my wife wants a cappuccino. I didn't get as much crema as I was before but that may be because I was a bit anxious to test it and didn't let the basket get as hot as I usually do, or I might not have adequately primed it since I'm not practiced at doing that yet.
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Gaggia...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Cafe Espresso Machines
Video reviews, nationwide installation, leasing options... Nuova Simonelli, Rancilio, La Marzocco.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.333173036575)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+