Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Upgrade to QM Andreja from CC1?
Cafe Solutions
Commercial sales and service, nationwide installation, equipment leasing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Upgrade to QM...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
Gig103

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Crossland CC1
Grinder: Baratza Vario
Drip: French press!
Posted Wed Mar 19, 2014, 12:43pm
Subject: Upgrade to QM Andreja from CC1?

I have had a CC1 + Vario for more than two years now, and I've enjoyed having espresso at home. My wife gives me a hard time because she doesn't like the smell, so it's mostly a weekday morning thing, even though I'd love to be making cappuccinos on the weekends too! When deciding on my machine, I had come up with some wishlist items that no machine I was aware of at the time fit. Plus, at the time I didn't want to jump into a very expensive machine since I wasn't sure if I could justify it. The CC1 was a great choice for me and I enjoy using it, and it's paid for itself and some in the past two years!

I am not even sure I've outgrown the CC1 (I've answered our typical questions for your opinions below), but I'm having a bit of an upgrade fever because I was looking at Chris' Coffee store and came across the QM Andreja, which has everything on my old wish list!
> E61 group
> All-stainless appearance
> Tank w/ plumb option
> No-burn arms
> HX for simultaneous brew/steam and back-to-back operation (no waiting for SB or DB rebound once the initial cooling flush is done)
> Ability to drain boiler for flushing post-descale

And now that I know I enjoy my espresso, I don't mind spending more money (and my CC1 would hit the BST forum, hopefully making someone else happy too!). So, is it a good machine worth the money, and will the E61 give me a better shot since it's more temperature stable?

1)  What kind of drinks do you like/want to make? -- Mostly espresso shots, sometimes a milk drink if I have time. In theory, I could do both simultaneously on an HX.
2)  How many drinks, on average, do you see yourself needing to make at any one time? -- Just for me, so at most two double shots for a quad capp/latte. I had company and the rebound time was bugging me though.
3)  How many drinks, on average, do you see yourself making in any given week? -- 5 (weekdays)
4)  Can you plumb a machine directly into the water supply, or do you want/need a pour over machine with its own reservoir? -- Right now just reservoir but I'd like the plumb-option
5)  Do you have a 20-amp circuit available, or only a (standard) 15-amp circuit? -- 15A
 View Profile Link to this post
gophishin

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: ecm technika iv profi
Grinder: baratza vario
Posted Thu Mar 20, 2014, 10:32am
Subject: Re: Upgrade to QM Andreja from CC1?

I'm going to offer my $.02 being in a similar boat, owning a (even less capable) SBDU, and wanting to upgrade to an E61 style HX (although I'm also open to DBs and non-E61 machines).  I have used and worked with a QM Anita and found it to be a great upgrade both in the cup and for ease of use.  Shots had much better mouthfeel and body, the machine was a delight to use.  The build quality was nice and it's good looking too.  I haven't used the CC1, and since it does offer preinfusion and temperature control, I can't speak to how dramatic the changes in the cup may be for you in particular, but I imagine the E61 group might prove to be more forgiving than your current machine, and the instantaneous steam power was such an awesome change.  

My question would be is if the Andreja is really worth it over the Anita.  Other than the appearance, which I know is/can be significant, it's my understanding that the only thing the Andreja offers is the immediate ability to plumb and the compressionless steam/hot water valves.  With a little DIY you can plumb the Anita yourself, so my question would be is it better to look to the Vetrano instead where you get the benefit of the rotary pump since you plan to plumb it anyways instead of the Andreja.

I don't know if that helps at all or just unintentionally jacks your thread (sorry), but maybe someone that has owned these machines can comment - I believe USCFRoadie has owned both?
Gig103

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Crossland CC1
Grinder: Baratza Vario
Drip: French press!
Posted Thu Mar 20, 2014, 1:09pm

I don't think it's really a threadjack. If I was going to plumb right away, then yes the Vertrano makes sense, but it isn't currently in the cards. But if I was buying a prosumer machine I'd want the ability since it would be a long-term purchase.
gophishin

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: ecm technika iv profi
Grinder: baratza vario
Posted Thu Mar 20, 2014, 1:43pm

I can see that, the flexibility is nice.  The Bezzera Mitica is near that price range (~$100 more), is switchable, rotary pump, and joystick arms.  It's a good looking machine, but a little newer and not quite as much info available.
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Upgrade to QM...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Cafe Espresso Machines
Video reviews, nationwide installation, leasing options... Nuova Simonelli, Rancilio, La Marzocco.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.282575845718)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+