Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
It's here!
Don't suffer bad espresso
Package deals on the best machines from Izzo, Quick Mill, VBM, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > It's here!  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
bossman

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Mini Vivladi II
Grinder: Baratza Vario-W
Drip: Cuisinart
Roaster: Soon I hope
Posted Wed Mar 19, 2014, 5:23pm
Subject: It's here!

Christmas for me today!!  My Mini Vivaldi and Pro-M Espresso arrived!  So far they both look great and I am at the start of making them work.  The grinder seems like it might need calibrated as I am grinding just below the 1 setting and still running a little faster then I like with an 18g dose in the double basket, about 26 seconds.  It takes about 8 seconds for the first drops to appear but then comes out slightly fast.  I was able to make a shot good enough to make a latte with that tasted decent but still not quite there yet.  I burned through 3 8oz bags of my Redline getting things that close and learning the dose on the Pro-M.  Can't wait for this weekend when I will have a lot of time to play around. :)

bossman: mviismall.jpg
(Click for larger image)
 View Profile Link to this post
SpaceTime

Espresso: 83 & 89 Cremina, 85 Coffex
Grinder: HG One, Pharos, LIDO
Drip: Freiling 33 & 44oz FP,...
Posted Wed Mar 19, 2014, 6:07pm
Subject: Re: It's here!

Cool boss.  Glad to see you got it.

One thing, if you can't make a decent shot with that, you're fired!

Lol....
SproBro

Espresso: CC1 v1.5
Grinder: Compak K10PB, Vario
Posted Wed Mar 19, 2014, 6:23pm

Bossman means srs bsns with this equipment.
LOL Spacetime.

I found that preinfusion and dwell time has helped my shots develop over longer period of time. 18g seems like a pretty high dosage for a double basket, but not all baskets are created equal.
bossman

Posted Wed Mar 19, 2014, 6:37pm

SproBro Said:

Bossman means srs bsns with this equipment.
LOL Spacetime.

I found that preinfusion and dwell time has helped my shots develop over longer period of time. 18g seems like a pretty high dosage for a double basket, but not all baskets are created equal.

Posted March 19, 2014 link

Yeah I was dosing as high as I could to get the extraction time up.
CMIN

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Crossland CC1
Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Posted Wed Mar 19, 2014, 7:26pm

Besides calibration the burrs pry need breaking in. But are you weighing after you grind to make sure your at 18g b/c of retention? The MV has a small PF than normal at 53mm but a little deeper than normal as well, but not sure if 18g is too much. Lock in the PF after dosing and unlock and check the puck to make sure it wasn't fractured.
bossman

Posted Thu Mar 20, 2014, 4:21pm

Ok I got the grinder calibrated and dialed in.  17.5g in the double basket 5.5 grind setting with Redline nice 32 second extraction and just under the 2oz mark in the glass including crema, perfect for me and the best shot I have ever made myself!  VERY happy, only my 2nd pull after calibrating the grinder.

Now for the steaming lol.  So far I am making cappas instead of lattes unintentionally, I only use 2-3oz of milk but I pulled two doubles and tried to steam 5-6oz of milk but still got really good cappa foam lol.  I can't seem to keep air from being incorporated because of the massive steaming power, even sinking the tip deep it moves so much that it gets exposed and its done in less than 10 seconds.  I like the speed I am just going to have to figure out a technique for it.
SproBro

Espresso: CC1 v1.5
Grinder: Compak K10PB, Vario
Posted Thu Mar 20, 2014, 10:45pm

Nice! Yeah that massive steam power is what I fear when I upgrade. I'm pretty darn proficient now with the single hole tip with steady moderate power, that it baffles me how baristas get microfoam in such short time for 1:1 milk/espresso drinks with commercial machine power!
bossman

Posted Fri Mar 21, 2014, 6:26am

I was having some bad channeling and spritzers with the bottomless PF.  I switched from my brass handled tamper to the free one CCS included with the machine and the problems went away.  Of course I end up liking the free one better than the one I special ordered. :(  The one CCS included is taller and slightly convex.
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > It's here!  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Support Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids is a non profit charity working with farming communities around the world. Donate today!
www.coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.315641880035)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+