Espresso: Espresso Machines
Need help recommending a machine.
Stefano's Espresso Care
Repair - Parts - Sales
Factory Authorized &
Trained Technician
www.espressocare.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Need help...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
acasabia
acasabia
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Expobar Brewtus iv-p,...
Grinder: Quamar M80e, Hario slim
Vac Pot: Yama Vacpot, Aeropress,
Drip: french press
Roaster: hot-air popper.
Posted Thu Mar 20, 2014, 7:32am
Subject: Need help recommending a machine.

So about a year ago I set my mother up with a gaggia espresso-pure and my old ascaso I-1D. Since then the machine has started leaking... we replaced the gaskets and by now most of the group. The machine is regularly cleaned and has no significant scale build up. All that said and done, we sent the machine back to WLL and are now being told it may be up to 5weeks before we get it back, with no idea what they plan on charging. The leaking is from within and around the group. I've checked and its not coming from the boiler seals.

We're both tired of the machine which seemed cheap and flimsy from day one. I want to tell her to get a better set up, but I cant see her spending more than a few hundred on a machine. Now if it was up to me, she would pick up a heavier machine like a sylvia or even a le'lit, but I know she doesn't want to spend the money.

What can I recommend? She is pretty competent with pulling shots and steaming, and the grinder is in pretty good shape.

Anthony C

Currently pulling:
Path Coffee Roasters (PortChester, NY) Feather in cap espresso.

Cold Brewing:
Gimme! (ithaca, NY) Moca Java

http://coffeeandneuroscience.wordpress.com/
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
lparsons21

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Izzo Alex
Grinder: Mazzer SJ, Ascaso i2,...
Roaster: Gene Cafe, Behmor,...
Posted Thu Mar 20, 2014, 3:09pm
Subject: Re: Need help recommending a machine.

Given the price of the machine she had, repairs are not worthwhile unless you can do them yourself.  I see that they are selling for around $170 new at some places, so that pretty much says don't repair to me.

If your mom was satisfied with the drinks she was producing with the Gaggia Espresso-pure, there are tons of machines out there that are built along the same lines.  But as with the Gaggia, they aren't the most repairable out there.  And how long they might last depends on how much they get used and of course, the luck of the draw too.

I've got a little Breville thermoblock that I've had for about 8 years that my live in uses on a daily basis.  It produces coffee good enough for her and takes less fiddling with than my Alex HX machine.  Still steams good enough for her also.

Lloyd
 View Profile Link to this post
Skylar

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: lelit espresso
Grinder: lelit grinder
Vac Pot: B. D. Electric
Drip: chemex
Roaster: wok roast and popper, heat...
Posted Thu Mar 20, 2014, 4:33pm
Subject: Re: Need help recommending a machine.

OK.

A year or so ago I noticed that 1st-line was advertising a Nemox Junior for $99. Figuring I didn't have that much to lose I bought one, filled it with water, heated it up, ground  some beans and made a shot. It worked. I did not even try to steam with it but just cleaned it up, emptied the tank and boiler, brought it down to the basement and mothballed it in case my Lelit went belly up or needed to be repaired.

I notice 1st-line is still selling them (apparently working through a bunch they stocked) but now at $149.

Suggest you look it up and decide if the machine might be something your Mom would be interested in.

A believe it comes with a one year warranty. She already has a grinder.

Sky
 View Profile Link to this post
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Need help...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Find the Right Machine...
Package deals on the best machines from Izzo, Quick Mill, Rocket, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.294009923935)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+