Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
What size soft group gasket for V2B?
Cafe Solutions
Commercial sales and service, nationwide installation, equipment leasing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > What size soft...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
DeanOK
DeanOK
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: QM Vetrano 2B
Grinder: Vario W
Posted Fri Mar 21, 2014, 7:10pm
Subject: What size soft group gasket for V2B?

I need to order some spare soft group gaskets for my Vetrano 2B. I measured a new one that Chris sent with the machine and it is about 8.22 mm. They offer 8 and 8.5 mm. I assume either would work, but wanted to know what everyone was using.

TIA
Dean
 View Profile Link to this post
CarloM

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Vetrano V2B
Grinder: Mazzer Mini-E Type A, SJ...
Drip: Toddy
Posted Sun Mar 23, 2014, 12:00pm
Subject: Re: What size soft group gasket for V2B?

Dean I'd email CCS to see. I thought I'd read somewhere back when we were all in Pre-Order Land (seems like a long time ago, right?) that they were shipping with the 8.5mm soft gasket. But when I drop my screen to clean it, it has the number 8 on it (I assume it would say 8.5 if it was the 8.5mm gasket).

I think according to DavecUK you want the soft gasket. As to which one you should use, finding out what you have is I think the first step. If you have an 8mm and your portafilter locks in perfectly at a 90 degree angle (or very near it) from the face of the machine, then you'll want to replace with the same one that shipped with your machine. If your PF locks in at significantly more than a 90 degree angle, and you want to reduce that amount of turn to lock it in, then increase the thickness of your gasket to 8.5mm.

Conversely if yours shipped with an 8.5mm and your portafilter locks in at less than 90 degrees, you may want to go down to 8mm to allow your PF to turn further. Since you may be using a different PF your gasket size may differ (I'm using the stainless steel Cafelat all in one, which definitely locks in at a different, higher angle than the one that came with the V2B). So I'm contemplating going to 8.5mm when it's time to replace my gasket.

That's at least how I would approach it.
DeanOK
DeanOK

Posted Mon Mar 24, 2014, 5:33pm

I am surprised that there is not anyone that checks in here regularly that hasn't had to order gaskets. I started noticing last week that my PF would start unscrewing by itself when the pump came on. I checked the gasket and it was hard as a rock, so I put in a new soft gasket and everything is back to normal.

Anyway, the correct gasket is 8mm for anyone who wants to know (per CCS).
sharky
sharky
Expertise: I love coffee

Grinder: Compak K3 Touch
Posted Mon Mar 24, 2014, 8:18pm

DeanOK, mine still appears fine!  I use my baby finger to make it tight . . . I barely turn it and it works like a charm, no leaks!  However, I was going to order a new soft gasket, a shower screen, and some Molykote 111 . . . but C.C.S. wanted over $20.00 for shipping!!  REALLY!  That was more than the order itself!  C'mon Chris . . . that is really gouging the Canadians on freight, no??  I was not happy, and cancelled my order!!
DeanOK
DeanOK

Posted Mon Mar 24, 2014, 8:38pm

sharky Said:

DeanOK, mine still appears fine!  I use my baby finger to make it tight . . . I barely turn it and it works like a charm, no leaks!  However, I was going to order a new soft gasket, a shower screen, and some Molykote 111 . . . but C.C.S. wanted over $20.00 for shipping!!  REALLY!  That was more than the order itself!  C'mon Chris . . . that is really gouging the Canadians on freight, no??  I was not happy, and cancelled my order!!

Posted March 24, 2014 link

I doubt CCS is the reason for the shipping being expensive... shipping is getting expensive and I am sure there is a premium for shipping from the States to Canada.
CarloM

Posted Tue Mar 25, 2014, 9:34am

DeanOK Said:

I am surprised that there is not anyone that checks in here regularly that hasn't had to order gaskets. I started noticing last week that my PF would start unscrewing by itself when the pump came on. I checked the gasket and it was hard as a rock, so I put in a new soft gasket and everything is back to normal.

Anyway, the correct gasket is 8mm for anyone who wants to know (per CCS).

Posted March 24, 2014 link

Thanks for confirming. I thought it would be 8 based on what's printed on mine. Also, I drop my screen to clean every few days and the gasket still feels the same as the day it was shipped. On my next CCS order (probably next month or so) I'll probably bundle in a couple of gaskets and Mylokote just to be safe.
sharky
sharky

Posted Tue Mar 25, 2014, 10:20am

CarloM Said:

Thanks for confirming. I thought it would be 8 based on what's printed on mine. Also, I drop my screen to clean every few days and the gasket still feels the same as the day it was shipped. On my next CCS order (probably next month or so) I'll probably bundle in a couple of gaskets and Mylokote just to be safe.

Posted March 25, 2014 link

CarloM, when you removed the basket the first time, was it difficult to get out and did you damage it at all?  I ask, because I am wondering if I need to have a replacement one ready to go?  The shipping costs are ridiculous from CCS to me (see my post) however, if I need a basket in reserve, then I may just have to order one, regardless!
CarloM

Posted Tue Mar 25, 2014, 11:42am

sharky Said:

CarloM, when you removed the basket the first time, was it difficult to get out and did you damage it at all?  I ask, because I am wondering if I need to have a replacement one ready to go?  The shipping costs are ridiculous from CCS to me (see my post) however, if I need a basket in reserve, then I may just have to order one, regardless!

No it wasn't difficult and no I didn't damage it. I literally used a smaller type of spoon (I think it's called a demitasse spoon) and held it upside down (the opposite of how you would use it if you were sipping something from it), put the tip of it on the little indented ring of the shower screen, and used the underside of the brew group as leverage to loosen the screen on one side, then went to the opposite side and did the same thing, and it popped right out.

Now because I did this fairly soon after I got the machine, and have been doing it regularly, the screen and gasket have been kept clean and removal is easy. However, if you haven't done this in months, there is a chance that the gasket may have hardened with leftover gunk over the months, and removal may not be as simple or easy as I've described. Also the gasket may have hardened over that time without cleaning, I'm not sure.
Tonyv138

Espresso: V2B
Grinder: Mazzer SJ
Posted Tue Mar 25, 2014, 1:51pm

Here is what I found - Dave comments on V2B gasket

http://coffeegeek.com/forums/espresso/machines/635787#635787
sharky
sharky

Posted Tue Mar 25, 2014, 7:21pm

CarloM Said:

No it wasn't difficult and no I didn't damage it. I literally used a smaller type of spoon (I think it's called a demitasse spoon) and held it upside down (the opposite of how you would use it if you were sipping something from it), put the tip of it on the little indented ring of the shower screen, and used the underside of the brew group as leverage to loosen the screen on one side, then went to the opposite side and did the same thing, and it popped right out.

Now because I did this fairly soon after I got the machine, and have been doing it regularly, the screen and gasket have been kept clean and removal is easy. However, if you haven't done this in months, there is a chance that the gasket may have hardened with leftover gunk over the months, and removal may not be as simple or easy as I've described. Also the gasket may have hardened over that time without cleaning, I'm not sure.

Thanks for the info, CarloM.  I removed the screen as you suggested and it came off effortlessly!  I held it up to the light and it looked brand new!  Wow!  The gasket is still soft and like new, too!  No need for any spare parts just yet . . . although I did have to lubricate the lever cam inside the group.  It was getting a little squeaky!  Easy to do and now lifts quiet as a mouse!
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > What size soft...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Donate to Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids works with farming communities around the world, improving lives. Donate today.
www.coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.414912939072)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+