Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Recommend simple all in one coffe machine for small office?
Support Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids is a non profit charity working with farming communities around the world. Donate today!
www.coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Recommend simple...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
katit

Expertise: I like coffee

Posted Sun Mar 23, 2014, 12:02pm
Subject: Recommend simple all in one coffe machine for small office?

Thats might be uncommon question :)

I have Alex II at home plumbed in for 2 years. Baratza Vario grinder, I do roast my own coffee, this just to get you an idea where I'm at with coffee.
Just rented office. It's just me and 1 employee right now. He likes coffee (Starbucks :( ) and I don't mind to have a drink or two a day. Budget is low, (<$500) and we have outlet but no water supply, etc. Machine need to be kind of portable and easy to use. It's not going to be installed on kitchen, need to be "clean".

1)  What kind of drinks do you like/want to make?  (This will tell us what you need in terms of a machine's capabilities.)
cappuccino

2)  How many drinks, on average, do you see yourself needing to make at any one time? (This will tell us what you need in terms of a machine's ability to work continuously.)
1 at a time

3)  How many drinks, on average, do you see yourself making in any given week?  (This will tell us what you need in terms of a machine's durability.)
10-15 on average

4)  Can you plumb a machine directly into the water supply, or do you want/need a pour over machine with its own reservoir?
Have to be pour over

5)  Do you have a 20-amp circuit available, or only a (standard) 15-amp circuit?
15amp I think. I don't know for sure

6)  What is your budget for a new machine?  Does that also include a grinder?  If not, what is your budget for a grinder?
$300, up to $500 if difference will be seen

7)  Are you willing to buy used or do you need new equipment? Do you or family member have the skills to repair used equipment?
New with warranty

8)  Do you have the essential accessories (decent tamper, knockbox, the works), otherwise budget about $100 for these.
Need something with grinder built in. We have limited space. So, it need to be all in one. Will be set on top of a small fridge.
 View Profile Link to this post
lparsons21

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Izzo Alex
Grinder: Mazzer SJ, Ascaso i2,...
Roaster: Gene Cafe, Behmor,...
Posted Sun Mar 23, 2014, 12:41pm
Subject: Re: Recommend simple all in one coffe machine for small office?

Since it is for Cappucinnos, this might be a great combo for the light use you would put it through.  And the pressurized portafilters should make up for any shortcomings the grinder might have, and it fits your budget.

Breville BES870XL

Here's a few links that might be of value to you :
http://www.brevilleusa.com/the-barista-expresstm.html     This is Breville's site and it has a video about it.

Click Here (www.amazon.com)    Amazon search for it.

And here's a coupon for a deal at Amazon that might be good too :

Click Here (www.zseek.com)

Hope this helps.  I couldn't find anything that described what you are looking for that was better for the money.

Lloyd
katit

Posted Sun Mar 23, 2014, 12:54pm

Looks like a good machine for the money but I see some problems with it. It still have portafilter, there going to be mess. Machine seems to be of a bigger size.
Remember, we won't have access to water to wash portafilter, etc. Kitchen is like 300ft away.

And it's closer to $600 right now..
lparsons21

Posted Sun Mar 23, 2014, 12:58pm

All fair concerns.

From what I've read around many different places, it is difficult to come up with an all in one at the price you are iooking for.  Retail is $599 but one of the links supposedly would get it for something under $500.

One question comes to mind.  If you don't have a portafilter to put fresh grinds in, what would you use?

The only other choices I'm aware of are Nespresso and the like and I don't know enough about them to know if they might meet your needs.

Good luck in your searching.

Lloyd
katit

Posted Sun Mar 23, 2014, 1:11pm

I had Nespresso before and I think it's OK machine. I kind of liked it. Problem is cost of pods. I was coming with idea that I already have good beans (I roast for home myself) available, so it needs to be a machine with grinder.

I've seen all in ones at friends houses where beans is not even visible on outside. It grinds and tamps all inside and you just throw away pucks..

This is kind of machine I'm thinking about

P.S. If we had a kitchen I would get this Breville in a heartbeat...
lparsons21

Posted Sun Mar 23, 2014, 1:23pm

What you seem to be describing is Super Automatics that do it all with one (or maybe 2?) button pushes.  I don't know of any that are even within shouting distance of your budget.  Note that doesn't mean there aren't any, just I'm not aware of any.

Ask your friends what they paid for theirs, or just get brand/model and look on the web.

You are right about the cost of pods, but in the grand scheme of things, it may end up being the most cost effective way for your described needs.

Lloyd
biochemgawd

Espresso: BDB
Grinder: Vario
Posted Sun Mar 23, 2014, 1:26pm

I bought 2 Bosch Benvenuto B30 refurbished for an office environment (new they were $2300 but I paid ~$800). Both are still running 4 years later and make 10-12 cups on an average day - they are relatively bulletproof for a superauto. With good beans they produce something slightly better than dreck ;-) I replaced the steam tip with a real one (Saeco I think). Most people in the office think it's wonderful.

eBay example here: Click Here (www.ebay.com)
katit

Posted Sun Mar 23, 2014, 1:32pm

Looks like Nespresso is the way to go. Friends paid some $300-400 for machines, but on big sale from Costco/Sams club. Thats what I remember and I don't see anything like this online right now.
TheRealScubaSteve
TheRealScubaSteve
Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: Delonghi EC155
Grinder: Baratza Encore
Posted Sun Mar 23, 2014, 3:52pm

I can't speak to quality, but what about Saeco super-autos? I think that you have to register to see their refurb deals but Seattle Coffee Gear has a refurb Saeco Odea Go for $175, new retails for $499. It does not have a PF but has a panorello steam wand and has an internal grinder. Their review is available here.

"But it is not a perfect world and none of us are god-shots.  As for me, I am a little over extracted and therefore slightly bitter and my crema is thin..." -Buckley
Alumin8

Expertise: I live coffee

Posted Tue Apr 29, 2014, 9:13am

I can recommend a Jura F8 or one of it's stablemates.  I've had (3) Jura machines over the last 14 years.  The first two developed minor o-ring leaks which were returned to Williams-Sonoma under their "evergreen" warranty for electric appliances (they no longer have this warranty!).  I've had my current machine for over 4 years with a current cup count of 11,470.  This unit has been 100% reliable - no issues whatsoever.  I've actually purchased a QM Monza as it's eventual replacement, but this thing never dies.  For all of the Jura-bashers out there, I thought I might bring in a counter-point.  The plus for an office machine is simplicity - pushbutton espresso, coffee, etc.  We also bought one for our church (used, off of craigslist for $200) to eliminate the nasty old "church coffee"...

Scott
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Recommend simple...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Learn @seattlecoffeegear
Learn all about coffee, watch videos, read how-to articles.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.318552970886)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+