Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
CC1 pump issue??
Home Espresso Machines
Watch videos with Gail & Kat, Rocket, Jura Capresso, Saeco, Rancilio, Quick Mill, Nespresso
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > CC1 pump issue??  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 3 last page next page
Author Messages
Gig103

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Crossland CC1
Grinder: Baratza Vario
Drip: French press!
Posted Mon Mar 31, 2014, 3:37pm
Subject: CC1 pump issue??

Hello,

I have started noticing that during a shot, the pump was making a sort of pulsing sound. The grind was such that at about 16g I was getting 22 second shots, although not nice neat rat-tails. I don't have a shot video for you, but when I was backflushing this weekend and the tank water level was low I saw the OPV pushing out water, but not a steady stream as I would have expected, and it sounded just like it has been during a shot.

I made a video to see if folks think there might be a problem with my pump? I get that the OPV is doing its job, but would it be bursty like that?

http://youtu.be/CX9lNjK0q9o
 View Profile Link to this post
DeanOK
DeanOK

Espresso: QM Vetrano 2B
Grinder: Vario W
Posted Mon Mar 31, 2014, 4:41pm
Subject: Re: CC1 pump issue??

Bad pressure regulating valve (I think Bill calls it expansion valve).  Mine did something similar except I had a pressure gauge to show the results. I removed the pressure gauge bezel for this video because it made the gauge easier to see....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_qnZO44sQhk

The good news is that it is an easy fix if you get a new regulator. Just takes a few minutes.
CMIN

Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Posted Mon Mar 31, 2014, 6:00pm

Think this is the problem I'm having right now, all my shots are pretty bad, just not extracting right like pressure isn't right at the puck. Plus I always press the button to flush after pulling a shot and unlocking the PF to get grinds off the screen like normal, except now I'm getting times where steam and that "steam sound" come out of the group more than water like 50/50 steam/water, sometimes on the 1st shot, sometimes after the 2nd shot, sometimes not at all... I know for a fact that never happened a single time over 2 years now and always just poured out of the group like normal when doing a quick grinds flush. So something is out of wack. Also after pulling a shot the opv sounds super super week sometimes like only sounds like dribbles, it was more forceful sounding before. With a blank basket to backflush I noticed normally the opv would make that "umphh" sound at 4 seconds or so (except after turning on to warmup and doing that before 1st shot), and it now takes like 7-8 seconds sometimes to do that, but it still sounds forceful at that point when exiting and after stopping a shot it used to sound pretty close to that blank basket. I also noticed the pump making weird noises past few weeks but not consistently.

I emailed Bill. Not sure what's wrong, to me the way the water would pour out of the group would lead me to think something is wrong with the pump but sound like something may be wrong with the opv too.
DeanOK
DeanOK

Posted Mon Mar 31, 2014, 6:11pm

CMIN Said:

Think this is the problem I'm having right now, all my shots are pretty bad, .....

Posted March 31, 2014 link

You may remember how frustrated I was with my CC1. I went for months pouring shots down the drain. I finally got it making good shots but not until I bought/made the tools to figure out what was wrong with it. By that time I had the V2B bug. If your using the default offset and a normal brew temp you should not have water flashing to steam.. that sounds like something I never dealt with.

I get great shots from the V2B that I have now, but I am a little frustrated with the cavitation issue. Its not anything I can't live with, but doesn't fit with what I expected from a machine in this price range.
CMIN

Posted Tue Apr 1, 2014, 6:05am

Going to descale and see if anything changes, this only started recently. The steam coming from the group like 80% of the time has me worried. Sometimes I can make multiple shots and the quick flush I do after unlocking to get the grinds off pours water out like normal, the other times it's like 50/50 steam. Like yesterday, flushed on second shot and bunch of steam and some water dribbled out and then the water volume was a little more but pushing a lot of steam and steam sound. But I def know it never did that one time in the 2 years I've had it. My opv I'm pretty sure isn't working right, as I know this machine after two years lol... but thinking I also have a water pump issue.
Gig103

Grinder: Baratza Vario
Drip: French press!
Posted Tue Apr 1, 2014, 9:09am

DeanOK Said:

Bad pressure regulating valve (I think Bill calls it expansion valve).  Mine did something similar except I had a pressure gauge to show the results. I removed the pressure gauge bezel for this video because it made the gauge easier to see....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_qnZO44sQhk

The good news is that it is an easy fix if you get a new regulator. Just takes a few minutes.

Posted March 31, 2014 link

Dean, yeah that looks just like mine. Can you tell me how you got the new part? BillC? Lowes?
CMIN

Posted Tue Apr 1, 2014, 12:02pm

BillC sometimes stops by, hopefully he sees this thread
DeanOK
DeanOK

Posted Tue Apr 1, 2014, 3:03pm

Gig103 Said:

Dean, yeah that looks just like mine. Can you tell me how you got the new part? BillC? Lowes?

Posted April 1, 2014 link

Bill's preferred string of responsibility seems to run through the dealer first. He will probably tell you to contact them. I guess I understand that but it can be frustrating if the dealer would rather you send the machine back when the repair is very simple.

Of course, Bill may tell you my diagnosis is subject to error in which case he may want to do things differently.
CMIN

Posted Tue Apr 1, 2014, 3:35pm

I bought mine used, from Canada, crap lol. I was looking to buy it anyway and talked to a guy that had one asking questions etc, then was selling it as he bought a new Rocket, so I bought it.
DeanOK
DeanOK

Posted Tue Apr 1, 2014, 3:59pm

CMIN Said:

I bought mine used, from Canada, crap lol. I was looking to buy it anyway and talked to a guy that had one asking questions etc, then was selling it as he bought a new Rocket, so I bought it.

Posted April 1, 2014 link

Even if it is out of warranty I don't think that little valve would be very expensive.... it's not much... just a rubber ball with a spring behind it.  In fact, it is hard to see why it would do the pulsing thing, but mine stopped the minute I put the new valve in. I had descaled it thinking maybe there was some minerals in it, but I opened up the old one and it was clean as a whistle, but the little rubber ball was pretty deformed from pressing against the seat. Bill said that was normal.
showing page 1 of 3 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > CC1 pump issue??  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Great Espresso at Home
Curated selection of the best machines from La Spaziale, Izzo, Quick Mill, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.39398598671)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+