Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Quick Mill Vetrano 2b tips and tricks.
Commercial Equipment
Nuova Simonelli, La Marzocco, Rancilio. Nationwide installation. Instant financing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Quick Mill...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
gregdreg
gregdreg
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Quick Mill Vetrano 2B
Grinder: Baratza Vario
Drip: Chemex, Aropress,
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Tue Apr 1, 2014, 9:59pm
Subject: Quick Mill Vetrano 2b tips and tricks.

Hello,
My V2B arrived and I plumbed it in today, I am coming from a SBDU (lelit pl041 qe) that I have had for four years. I have only made four drinks so far but I am so happy with my choice, no more temp surfing, no more filing the tank reservoir, no more dumping the drip tray! I would like to say a huge Thank you to the CG community for helping me with the decision on my purchase and for the threads that helped me plumb my machine in easily. I am expecting a VST 18g basket and cafelat all in one PF tomorrow.

What boiler temperature are you guys using most often?

I set the pressure regulator to 25psi per the CCS site and my machine idles at 3-4.5 bar is that too high?

My machine arrived with the 2 hole tip attached, should I leave it on or put on the 4 hole? I did a few practice steams with water and a drop of soap to get the feel then I was able to get decent microfoam for a first try when I made a latte. Such dry steam compared to my old machine.  

PICS
 View Profile Link to this post
DeanOK
DeanOK
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: QM Vetrano 2B
Grinder: Vario W
Posted Wed Apr 2, 2014, 4:25am
Subject: Re: Quick Mill Vetrano 2b tips and tricks.

I would suggest starting with the default settings for brew temperature and offset. You may want to tweak the brew temp slightly depending on roast your using. You will need a short warming flush (2-3 seconds) before your shot.

Most of us found the 2 hole tip easier to work with. The 4 hole tip is very fast, particularly if you steam a smaller amount of milk. The 2 hole tip is probably the best place to start. If you get really good, you can always try your luck with the 4 hole tip later.
CurtG

Espresso: Quick Mill V2B
Vac Pot: Hario Nouveau Syphon
Posted Wed Apr 2, 2014, 3:08pm

What was going on with your steam pressure in that first picture?  Make sure that was some sort of fluke.
CurtG

Posted Wed Apr 2, 2014, 3:19pm

You could do like I did when I got mine and adjust the temp each day to find the spot between your perception of sour (too cold) and bitter (too hot).  Based on the fact that it tasted more bitter to me where I started, I lowered my temp 2 degrees each day until I got to the lemon juice (vs lemon peel) sensation (it wasn't easy to differentiate between the two at first).  As user Coffeenoobie suggests, I purchased a 5 lb bag of Red Bird espresso to "learn" with.  Great suggestion and an excellent espresso and roaster.
CurtG

Posted Wed Apr 2, 2014, 3:58pm

Priming the brew boiler: when you first get the machine there might be a bit of air trapped inside the brew boiler causing a "buffer" situation with your first brew of the day.  All that does is change how the pump sounds while it's spinning against very little line pressure.  It's not harmful and at least in my machine it worked itself out with time.  But, to mitigate the situation you can prime the brew circuit by drawing a tiny amount of water using the brew lever when you first turn the machine on.  Or, as I used to do, you can simply press the black depression button behind the lever for a second or two to raise the pressure in the brew circuit.  You can watch the pressure come up on the gauge while you do this to see when it's up to pressure.
gregdreg
gregdreg
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Quick Mill Vetrano 2B
Drip: Chemex, Aropress,
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Wed Apr 2, 2014, 5:30pm

CurtG Said:

What was going on with your steam pressure in that first picture?  Make sure that was some sort of fluke.

Posted April 2, 2014 link

Hi curt,
I think that was just some trapped pressure I took that pic just after turning the machine on and letting it warm up for a bit, I hadn't opened the steam or hot water valves for the first time yet.
I did read your post that was buried in the another DB quick mill thread. What was the temperature you settled on?  I roasted a extra batch of Monkey and I  plan on pulling a bunch of shots tomorrow when I get off of work.

I do open the boiler just after turning on the machine, hoping I never get that cavitation noise but I am plumbed so I shouldn't right?

What does your brew boiler pressure go up to when you pull a shot?
How much are you dosing?  
  Thanks -Greg
CurtG

Posted Wed Apr 2, 2014, 6:09pm

gregdreg Said:

Hi curt,
I think that was just some trapped pressure I took that pic just after turning the machine on and letting it warm up for a bit, I hadn't opened the steam or hot water valves for the first time yet.
I did read your post that was buried in the another DB quick mill thread. What was the temperature you settled on?  I roasted a extra batch of Monkey and I  plan on pulling a bunch of shots tomorrow when I get off of work.

I do open the boiler just after turning on the machine, hoping I never get that cavitation noise but I am plumbed so I shouldn't right?

What does your brew boiler pressure go up to when you pull a shot?
How much are you dosing?  
  Thanks -Greg

Posted April 2, 2014 link

Good to hear about that trapped pressure reading.

I'm running an offset (E1) of 20F (quite a bit lower than the 27F that it came with).  Technically, offset is irrelevant if the user doesn't pay attention to the set temp and only adjust up or down due to taste.  But, what can I say?  I'm human. ;-)  Temp from there using T1 is adjusted for the coffee I'm using; anywhere from about 198F to 203F depending.  You will notice that adjusting the temp can help as the beans approach their useful life limit as well (I notice that dropping the temp a bit can help with older beans).

If you're plumbed in you can't actually get the cavitation sound since the flow into the pump is supplemented by the line pressure, so you're good.  I bought Chris' water filter system also, but haven't hooked it up yet.

My brew pressure goes up a bit farther than 9 bar during a shot.  I could adjust it down 1/2 bar, and I might, but I'm not in a hurry to do it.

I have the same basket you are getting, the 18g VST.  Depending on the beans' roast level I end up with between 17 and 17.5g in the basket after leveling.  Darker roasts are less dense, so using a leveling system will end up with less mass in the basket with the same volume.  I grind 18g at a time by habit and just strike off the excess before tamping.

I'm sure you'll find that the V2B is an absolute pleasure to use.  It's very forgiving and made extremely well.  Like most other coffeegeeks, I don't have the luxury to compare many different prosumer class machines in person, but I'm sure I picked the right machine for me.
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Quick Mill...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Rancilio Silvia - How to
Step by step guide for easy brewing and steaming with the Rancilio Silvia
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.343642950058)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+