Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Brewtus Expobar III pressure gauge while pulling a shot going up and down VIDEO
Commercial Equipment
Nuova Simonelli, La Marzocco, Rancilio. Nationwide installation. Instant financing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Brewtus Expobar...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
ekidhardt

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Sat Apr 5, 2014, 3:51pm
Subject: Brewtus Expobar III pressure gauge while pulling a shot going up and down VIDEO

Hi there coffee geniuses!

Ok, so I have a brewtus expobar III, it's used, I won it at a work raffle :) (nice right?)

Anyway, it's having some pressure problems I think.  When pulling a shot, it's supposed to maintain 9bar during that shot. And what I'm seeing, is that it when pulling a shot---the pump goes on and off and on and off repetitively, adjusting the pressure while pulling the shot to between 6-8bar.

In this video, I've tamped a little too hard and so while it's slow, it still exhibits the same problems. The odd part, is that when tamped normally, the shot comes out at the right speed. (or is that not accurate?).

I've included a video to illustrate the issue...

Is this a pump issue you think? or do I need to adjust the pressure on the machine?

http://youtu.be/5mwrF5XpndM

Thanks!

-e
 View Profile Link to this post
CoffeeRon
CoffeeRon
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Wega Lyra, Europiccola(still...
Grinder: Macap M7D, Pharos, Vario W,...
Vac Pot: Sunbeam CoffeeMaster
Drip: Melita BCM-4
Roaster: FR SR500,B-1600, SC/TO
Posted Sat Apr 5, 2014, 4:33pm
Subject: Re: Brewtus Expobar III pressure gauge while pulling a shot

That is NOT normal.The pump should stay on continuously through the shot. The pressure is adjusted by means of the over pressure valve (opv). If you're lucky it could just be a loose wire/connection from being moved. Time to pull the cover and have a look around.

Congrats on the win- do you have a grinder to do that machine justice?
ekidhardt

Posted Mon Apr 7, 2014, 11:55am

Hi there!

Thanks for the feedback. I didn't think it was normal.

I also got the Mazzer Luigi Mini-Timer as a grinder, which seems to do great as far as I can tell. My work site was closing and everything portable was raffled off to employees, except the espresso machine and grinder. No one knew what to do with it--so, ..well, I ended up with it by default. I don't think anyone knew its value :)

Meanwhile, In a few moments I'm going to test to see if it is just a loose wire--if not, I'm going to buy a new pump for it.

I was working with a huge group of scientists--and when one of them found out you can clean the system with Citric Acid---well, he went into the lab, sneaked out, and decided to descale it---but I think it descaled for quite a long time. The pump was a lot louder after that--so I'm thinking it did some damage to just about everything in there. (I think it was descaling with too-highly concentrated citric acid) for 24+ hours.

I don't think I'll adjust the OPV quite yet until I've secured all the wires :)

-e
ekidhardt

Posted Mon Apr 7, 2014, 1:27pm

good news!

ok so I re-seated and wiggled every wire I could--and presto! There were some changes. Must have been a loose wire?

First, was that the pump didn't go up and down and up and down--it stayed on at a constant pressure.

So that's the good news.

The bad news, was that the constant pressure was 5bar instead of 9. Soo..now I'm off to adjust that thing somehow...

-e
ekidhardt

Posted Mon Apr 7, 2014, 2:29pm

okay..update...

So I adjusted the OPV valve--and lo-and-behold...nothing happened.

Right? nothing at all. I could screw it in, nada. Uncrew, nada. Maintained perfec 4bar all the time.

That's when it occured to me that maybe the valve is stuck.

So I've never done this before, and course that didn't stop me, and I managed to remove the OPV valve along with the pump.

and I unscrewed the OPV valve..and guess what? it was just completely full of calcified white minerals. Far from a bright shiny anything--it was completely gunked up.

Sooo..I have some CLR--and I've submerged everything into it..and this white stuff is just fizzing into nada! Soon as that looks good, Imma take my dremel tool and see about polishing it up.

Should I put some in the pump? (clr?)--we'll see!

UPDATE..

Ok so after clearing everything out that I could---reassembled, the pressure valve now successfully adjusts the pressure! Dramatically even.

though, after seeing what that looked like...I'm wondering what the rest of the internals may look like .I know the pump was replaced about a year ago, but...hmm..

I can't quite set it right yet, and it's back to intermittantly doing the up and down with the pressure (rather than holding steady).
CoffeeRon
CoffeeRon

Posted Tue Apr 8, 2014, 1:21am

Sounds like you're making progress.

I wouldn't use the CLR, I don't know for sure but I don't think it's good to use for something like this. I would get some citric acid or another descaler made for espresso machines- just my two cents- if it were me I would do a full descale of the machine. Its possible that something came loose and jammed up your freshly cleaned OPV.

Anyways you would fill the reservoir with descaler and circulate it through the systems and let it sit. You can get more specific details doing a search on descaling here or on HB if needed. Once you've descaled the whole machine, and maybe popped the OPV apart one more time, try it out and see what happens. I would expect you may need a new OPV and from what you've said a new pump may be a good idea as well. Doesn't hurt to cover the bases first though.

You said the pressures going up and down again- is the pump turning on and off again? If so the electrical connection might need cleaned up beyond just "snugging it up". If not it would most likely be the OPV doing that now.

In the end I think it will be well worth your efforts, you'll have a good machine that should last you a very long time.

Good luck and keep us posted.

PS- if you shorten your title we won't have to edit it to post

Edit- just noticed you said the pump was replaced, was that before or after it was descaled and the pump got louder? If after you're probably good with the pump.
SStones
SStones
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Giga 5, ECM Giotto, Rocket...
Grinder: Anfim Milano-Best
Vac Pot: No  :(
Drip: Some $30 thing from Walmart
Roaster: I buy pre-roasted.
Posted Tue Apr 8, 2014, 4:35am

Your pump was never going on and off, you could hear it staying on, just stalling and getting quieter when the pressure exceeded about 6 bar.  Your pump is stalling at far too low a pressure. Cleaning it might help it last a little bit longer but it's dying. It is time to replace the pump.
calblacksmith
calblacksmith
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Tue Apr 8, 2014, 5:31am

I am with Stephen on this one, the pump ran the whole time but it has issues. A vibe pump is not expensive and I am sure the machine could use a good descale.

Avoid CLR, yes I know they advertise it as good for coffee equipment but stay with a known safe product such as Citric acid or a commercial coffee equipment descaler.

Nice price on the machine :D, that is one that is hard to beat!

BTW, it is not a Mazzer Luigi Mini, it is a Mazzer mini, luigi is kind of like a middle name, no one uses it.

The pressure was low in your video and you have a good grinder but you should have had a better looking shot. Tamping is the LEAST important part of the process, you adjust the shot with the grind, keep the tamp the same at all times. The sole reason for the tamp is to remove the air space in the grounds to present a consistent resistance to water flow through the puck, it is not to try to adjust the pull, you can not come near the pressure the water puts on the puck at 9 bar per square inch. You really need to look at fresh properly roasted beans, it was a sick looking shot. I know there was a few things against it but really, fresh beans are mandatory as well as being properly ground.

Consider installing new burrs in the grinder, most likely, they are shot if it was used commercially, they are never changed often enough.

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
CoffeeRon
CoffeeRon

Posted Tue Apr 8, 2014, 9:37am

I could have sworn it turned off but then my ears aren't what they used to be :/ Glad to see some more experienced help on this :)
Rideoften

Espresso: Expobar Brewtus
Grinder: Baratza Vario
Posted Tue Apr 8, 2014, 11:07am

Now for the good news....when you get that machine back up to par you'll find it's an excellent tool for the job and a pleasure to use. I've been using mine for about 3 years and really enjoy it.

MB
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Brewtus Expobar...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Stefano's Espresso Care
Repair - Parts - Sales
Factory Authorized &
Trained Technician
www.espressocare.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.364030122757)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+