Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
VST Basket, CCS Precision shower screem. Mazzer MMEE Burrs.
Rancilio Silvia - How to
Step by step guide for easy brewing and steaming with the Rancilio Silvia
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > VST Basket, CCS...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
coffeestig

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Quick Mill QM67
Grinder: Mazzer Mini Electronic...
Drip: French Press
Posted Sun Apr 6, 2014, 2:12pm
Subject: VST Basket, CCS Precision shower screem. Mazzer MMEE Burrs.

I  wasn't sure to put this in the espressi machine section or modification section...

Some background:

About 10 years ago I began down a path of gateway coffee drugs.  Admittedly at first it was more about the culture and meeting friends at starbucks.  One thing led to another and I the office where I work had a decade old pallet of Folgers for office coffee...   I bought a french press and spinning helicppter grinder.  It was nirvana.  Eventually I ran across a sale on a breville  espresso machine for 89 bucks and also bought a 59 dollar grinder - together  with starbucks beans this was a new plateau for me.  Everyone who came over stated it was the best they ever had.  Next I discovered illy - another new height.  Next I spend a staggering 599 MSRP on a Breville machine to be used with Illy and all my friends were amazed.  Even this was better than most restaurants and coffee shops!  Several increment upgrades to my coffee and espresso regiment and I ended up with a Quick Mill QM67 with a Mazzer Mini E doserless.  To me this was by far the biggest bang for the home barista buck.  The QM67 specifically had all of the dual boiler features I wanted with as much capacity as I need even for large dinner parties.  I still feel that fore home its the best value for a du boiler machine on the market.

Other factors - I usually use Magnolia or Pure intentions beans which are locaally roasted.  Occassionally I'll do some Counter Culture which is also local.  Bottomless portafilter with a 2 shot basket from CCS.

Recently I "upgraded" my grinder burrs to Super Jolly Burrs.  I was disapointed to find they looked to be identical to the owm Mazzer M E doserless that came with the machine.   They are not.  It grinds faster and much less clumping.  Btw - I had nearly 5,000 shots on the clock/the original burrs. For the machine end of the experience I upgraded my basket to VST and went with a CCS presicion shower screen.   The  difference in this combination is night and day.  With a bottomless PF I can see far less channeling and way more consistency.  The Screen is a much for anyone with an E61 groupheap.  The difference is as large as going from the 600 Breville  consumer machine and illy preground coffee to my Quick Mill/Mazzer setup.  For 100 all in (I also ordered a gasket and couple of other small things) this was a no brainer upgrade that was far overdue.  When you look at the investment for a prosumer machine and legit grinder - this was a huge step up  for a fraction of the price.  VERY worth it.

Another thing I would like to recommend is that a user wait for a year after they make the jump to prosumer level equipment to change anything from OEM.  It takesa lot of time and failed attempts to dial in a machine and grinder.  My shots are pretty consistent and had I done this earlier would not been able to tell the difference since my technique was and is still improving.
 View Profile Link to this post
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > VST Basket, CCS...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Don't suffer bad espresso
Package deals on the best machines from Izzo, Quick Mill, VBM, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.270255804062)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+