Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
7 yr Vibiemme Domobar Super DIED help choosing Quickmill Vetrano 2B or ECM ?
Stefano's Espresso Care
Repair - Parts - Sales
Factory Authorized &
Trained Technician
www.espressocare.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > 7 yr Vibiemme...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 4 last page next page
Author Messages
jillksy
jillksy
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Vibiemme
Grinder: Rocky Doserless
Roaster: Behmor
Posted Tue Apr 8, 2014, 8:28am
Subject: 7 yr Vibiemme Domobar Super DIED help choosing Quickmill Vetrano 2B or ECM ?

I'm heartbroken ....my repair guy said my VBM beyond repair thanks to our water softener breaking awhile back, lesson learned :-(

So searching on here and Home Barista looks like the new ECM or QM Vetrano 2B would suit my needs.
No direct plumbed in at the moment but hope to in the future, 50/50 espresso shots and caps, must be semi-auto.
We do a lot of entertaining so the slightly bigger boiler on the ECM is appealing.

Any other recommendations?

I would prefer to purchase either from Jim 1st line or Chris Coffee.
Thank you

Jill S.
 View Profile Link to this post
jillksy
jillksy

Posted Tue Apr 8, 2014, 8:35am
Subject: Re: 7 yr Vibiemme Domobar Super DIED help choosing Quickmill Vetrano 2B or ECM ?

Wanted to add want a rotary pump this time, husband does not want another VBM and when entertaining my guest always prefer milk based drinks.  Kinda leaning towards ECM.  1st line is out of stock, big bummer

Jill S.
kize

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Tue Apr 8, 2014, 9:12am
Subject: Re: 7 yr Vibiemme Domobar Super DIED help choosing Quickmill Vetrano 2B or ECM ?

Qm is a dual boiler and the ecm is an hx. Not really comparing apples to apples. There are many discussions on which is better- more like differences.  I went from  15 year old hx to an Alex duetto db. While I wouldn't go back a nice hx would do fine. Do you switch up coffee origins frequently ? How much space do you have for a new machine ? Do you like the temp surf ritual of your old machine ? You haven't stated a budget amount so the sky is the limit.
DanoM

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Bezzera Strega, '84 La...
Grinder: Compak K10, Kludge grinder,...
Posted Tue Apr 8, 2014, 10:01am

I always like the style of ECM machines for some reason.  They aren't that much different, but I do like something about their looks.

The Quickmill, being a double boiler, is likely going to outpace any use you have or need in a home setting.  I wouldn't worry about the boiler size in comparison with the ECM.

Either of these machines should work for you in a home setting.  Both should be quite serviceable for a long time too.

As stated above if you don't give a budget ballpark people are going to start recommending Speedsters, GS/3 and the like!
Your grinder is listed under your profile as a Rocky.  Has that been upgraded?  If not you might want to see if one of the espresso machine with grinder sets makes sense for you too.

Regarding the Vibiemme Domobar failure.  If you want to get rid of that machine for parts I have a project in mind... ;-)
Email me if it needs a home...
calblacksmith
calblacksmith
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Tue Apr 8, 2014, 10:05am

I guess the OP needs to be a little more specific, ECM does make a DB now too.

Either DB or HX will be fine, both make outstanding coffee, neither is better or worse, it is personal preference.

I have had commercial HX for many years, both ECM, La Cimbali and even a Brazilia. I have used DB and for me, there is not a lot of difference and I prefer the HX to DB, YMMV!

So are you interested in HX or is that off the table? You can get a real nice HX with plumbable option and rotary pump for what an entry level DB runs.

So, whatchya thinkin ? :D

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
1stline
1stline
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Undisclosed
Grinder: Indisclosed
Vac Pot: Bodum Electric
Drip: None
Roaster: None
Posted Tue Apr 8, 2014, 1:35pm

jillksy Said:

Wanted to add want a rotary pump this time, husband does not want another VBM and when entertaining my guest always prefer milk based drinks.  Kinda leaning towards ECM.  1st line is out of stock, big bummer

Posted April 8, 2014 link

Jill,

Give me a call when you get a chance. I want to know the details about the water softener and what the diagnosis on the machine was. ECMs are due in next week, but I do not think you need a new machine until I know exactly what the diagnosis is.

Sincerely,
Jim Piccinich
Business Partner
1st-line Equipment, LLC
www.1st-line.com

Follow us on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/1stline
Twitter: http://twitter.com/1stline
Blog: http://1st-line.blogspot.com/
YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/user/1stlineespresso
frcn
frcn

Espresso: Vibiemme Domobar Double
Grinder: Mazzer Kony, Baratza...
Vac Pot: Hario, 2 Cory pots, 1 Cory...
Drip: Behmor Brazen, Bunn A10 mod...
Roaster: computer controlled Hottop,...
Posted Tue Apr 8, 2014, 3:04pm

1stline Said:

Give me a call when you get a chance. I want to know the details about the water softener and what the diagnosis on the machine was. ECMs are due in next week, but I do not think you need a new machine until I know exactly what the diagnosis is.

I agree. The DS is a simple machine to disassemble and work on. When I sold mine I had it apart in well under 30 minutes because I sent the frame out to be powder coated. Unless the HX cracks from freeze damage it certainly should be repairable. Worst case- remove boiler and dip and replace heating element. The rest is likely just a dip and new gaskets and seals.

Visit My Website
www.EspressoMyEspresso.com
jillksy
jillksy

Posted Tue Apr 8, 2014, 7:41pm

1stline Said:

Jill,

Thanks Jim, I will definitely call you tomorrow.  I had a espresso repair guy (that Sweet Marisa recommends) look at it and he took some very detailed pictures that I'll forward to you.
Basically he said the whole unit was corroded and when he twisted the nut on the boiler it snapped off.

Again, sincerely appreciate your help.

Jill S.
jillksy
jillksy

Posted Tue Apr 8, 2014, 8:15pm

kize Said:

Qm is a dual boiler and the ecm is an hx. Not really comparing apples to apples. There are many discussions on which is better- more like differences.  I went from  15 year old hx to an Alex duetto db. While I wouldn't go back a nice hx would do fine. Do you switch up coffee origins frequently ? How much space do you have for a new machine ? Do you like the temp surf ritual of your old machine ? You haven't stated a budget amount so the sky is the limit.

Yeah, Chris Coffee rep pointed out the DB somehow I missed that on specs.  I have been doing so much research my eyes are getting blurry!  I'm ruling out the 2B.
I prefer HX.  Rotary pump this time.  My VBM was vibe and just too noisy in the morning for those that like to sleep in . :-)  I just noticed they now have rotary pumps on VBM. My husband wants a machine with less weight (VBM is 70lbs) and footprint though so ruling out VBM.

I'm definitely looking to upgrade the grinder, Rocky has a little mod and worked like a champ with my VBM.  I have been looking at grinders but that'll have to wait a few months.  
My husband does roast quite a bit different origins.
Budget is 2k range.  

Jill S.
Burner0000

Espresso: Rancilio Silvia, VFA Expres...
Grinder: Macap MX/VFA N1464/Kyocera...
Drip: Manual Drip, French Press
Roaster: Behmor 1600 / Sonofresco
Posted Wed Apr 9, 2014, 6:36am

I'd get a few opinions on repair unless your fixed on upgrading to something with a rotary. I do believe if your Vibiemme Super is just really corroded a good tear down and descale would fix things unless there's more to it than that.  If you end up upgrading and are willing to sell and ship your machine for parts I'm looking for a good project. :P
 View Profile Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
showing page 1 of 4 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > 7 yr Vibiemme...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Donate to Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids works with farming communities around the world, improving lives. Donate today.
www.coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.39777302742)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+