Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Best espresso machines for a retailer
Commercial Equipment
Nuova Simonelli, La Marzocco, Rancilio. Nationwide installation. Instant financing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Best espresso...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
neserrano

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Fri Apr 11, 2014, 10:28am
Subject: Best espresso machines for a retailer

Hi everybody.

I live in Chile and what we have here for getting coffe machines are wholesale coffee gear stores and big department stores. The first ones are not very accesible for everyone. And the second one only have entry level machines.

If you want a decent machine you probably will end up buying something on ebay and paying your eye in shipping to this far.

So I'm planning to open a retail coffe gear.  A ship of Hario gear is on its way from Japan. And I'm dealing with ROK to have their ROK coffee maker as well. But want to go further and offer decent semiautomatic machines for different budgets.

I'm thinking in these six categories, asuming they have clear different prices:

- SB entry machine
- SB prosumer machine
- HX entry machine
- HX prosumer machine
- DB entry machine
- DB prosumer

Do you have any advice on which machines would be good for every category mention above? Need differente alternatives so I can contact the maker and try to get good prices at low volumes.

Many thanks for any advice.

Have a good coffee
Nelson
 View Profile Link to this post
boar_d_laze

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: La Cimbali M21 DT/1 Junior...
Grinder: Ceado E92; "Bunnzilla"
Vac Pot: Royal Coffee Maker
Drip: Chemex + Kone; Espro Press
Roaster: USRC Sample Roaster
Posted Fri Apr 11, 2014, 4:31pm
Subject: Re: Best espresso machines for a retailer

One of the Gaggias for entry level SBDUs, preferably with a dealer installed PID option available.

Otherwise, I suggest hooking up with one or two of the major makers who can fill all of the slots on your wishlist, such as Alex, Bezzera or Quick Mill -- to name a few -- and carrying their entire line(s).

I'd also look into repping Breville.    

Regardless of manufacturer, most of the machines in any given niche are "much of a muchness."  Considering that you're in Chile and blazing a new trail for the region, setting up a good tech, repair and parts situation is extremely important; probably more important then the identity of the maker.

You'll also have to carry a selection of grinders.

Muy buena suerte,
Rich
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
CHenry

Espresso: Olympia Express Maximatic
Grinder: Mazzer Mini Electronic Type...
Vac Pot: none
Drip: Technivorm
Roaster: none
Posted Sun Apr 13, 2014, 11:31am

So you want to become a dealer. Do you plan to service the machines you sell? As you must know, all of them eventually will need to be serviced. Parts will have to be stocked, and someone with repair and  technical training will be needed.

I agree with the recommendation of Breville, since they seem to have a good following and are appealing to the higher-grade domestic user. Lower end would be maybe Gaggia or Sunbeam (Australia). You will be selling 230v 50Hz machines, so European-market suppliers like ECM Germany might appeal to some of your clients. Also worth considering is offering at least one spring-piston lever machine, the Londonium Espresso Londonium One or even becoming a dealer for Olympia Espress and carrying their lever machine. The latter are expensive, even for higher-end, but the service requirements should be relatively low. A show-trophy machine like the chromed-up Elektra Semiautomatica SXC would be another nice niche product.

Don't forget to offer equivalent quality grinders and knockboxes, tampers, extra portafilters (including "naked" portafilters) cleaning supplies, drinkware, etc.

If you are setting up displays that work, you could also offer barista classes.

You might also consider offering a couple of carefully-chosen superautomatics. There is a market for them even though many readers here disdain them, and appealing to those buyers is important too. Forget the common makes at the department stores, maybe consider the Monza by QuickMill and the Nuova Simonelli Microbar.

Approaching the dealer relations persons at the companies directly would give you an indication of their requirements for dealers and importers.
SStones
SStones
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Giga 5, ECM Giotto, Rocket...
Grinder: Anfim Milano-Best
Vac Pot: No  :(
Drip: Some $30 thing from Walmart
Roaster: I buy pre-roasted.
Posted Mon Apr 14, 2014, 5:00am

There is the potential for angering the people who faithfully read these forums and respond to the posts of other members who are asking for needed help. You could pay someone to be your advisor if you can't be your own.
Picture this from our perspectives. You come here asking for free advice on how to make money that you freely admit you don't deserve because you can't do it without the free help of volunteers. You pave that thought when the first machine you mention is the ROK. I understand that the ROK is an interesting way to use a garlic press to try to make espresso, but now imagine someone saying "I want to open an import car sales showroom. I already have some tricycles but what other cars should I sell?"

Anyways, I didn't intend to write all of the above, I was just going to say:
Read all the threads here, there is a lot of great info.
Sell the machines that you understand so that your customers can benefit.
Sell only disposables if you don't intend to stand behind good machines and properly repair them.

Okay, people. Go ahead and flame me for calling the ROK a tricycle.
neserrano

Posted Mon Apr 14, 2014, 9:36am

Thank you CHenry, your advice is very helpful.

I understand the service could be an issue. Working with just one brand will probably make it easier. I'm having a deep look at Breville now and will also have at ECM (didn't hear it before).

Have a nice week
Nelson
neserrano

Posted Mon Apr 14, 2014, 9:39am

SStones Said:

There is the potential for angering the people who faithfully read these forums and respond to the posts of other members who are asking for needed help. You could pay someone to be your advisor if you can't be your own.
Picture this from our perspectives. You come here asking for free advice on how to make money that you freely admit you don't deserve because you can't do it without the free help of volunteers. You pave that thought when the first machine you mention is the ROK. I understand that the ROK is an interesting way to use a garlic press to try to make espresso, but now imagine someone saying "I want to open an import car sales showroom. I already have some tricycles but what other cars should I sell?"

Anyways, I didn't intend to write all of the above, I was just going to say:
Read all the threads here, there is a lot of great info.
Sell the machines that you understand so that your customers can benefit.
Sell only disposables if you don't intend to stand behind good machines and properly repair them.

Okay, people. Go ahead and flame me for calling the ROK a tricycle.

Posted April 14, 2014 link

If you don't want to give advice, simply don't do it. Other people don't think like you, fortunately.
neserrano

Posted Mon Apr 14, 2014, 9:43am

boar_d_laze Said:

One of the Gaggias for entry level SBDUs, preferably with a dealer installed PID option available.

Otherwise, I suggest hooking up with one or two of the major makers who can fill all of the slots on your wishlist, such as Alex, Bezzera or Quick Mill -- to name a few -- and carrying their entire line(s).

I'd also look into repping Breville.    

Regardless of manufacturer, most of the machines in any given niche are "much of a muchness."  Considering that you're in Chile and blazing a new trail for the region, setting up a good tech, repair and parts situation is extremely important; probably more important then the identity of the maker.

You'll also have to carry a selection of grinders.

Muy buena suerte,
Rich

Posted April 11, 2014 link

I do like Bezzeras, their entire line covers well my idea of nichos I want to cover. And they also have distributor in Colombia, what could make easier to have some closer support.

Looking at Breville and ECM as well. Sometimes you try to approach the maker but they don't answer, so I need a plan B, C and D!

Saludos!
Nelson
boar_d_laze

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: La Cimbali M21 DT/1 Junior...
Grinder: Ceado E92; "Bunnzilla"
Vac Pot: Royal Coffee Maker
Drip: Chemex + Kone; Espro Press
Roaster: USRC Sample Roaster
Posted Mon Apr 14, 2014, 11:03am

Otra vez, buena suerte.  Hay pinches gueys en todos partes.  No se preocupe.    

Rich
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
skydragondave

Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Commercial Only
Grinder: Commercial Only
Roaster: Has Garanti HG5
Posted Tue Apr 15, 2014, 6:24am

SStones Said:

Posted April 14, 2014 link

I really don't see why you and others think it is more noble for hobbyists to seek free advice than people trying to put food on their tables. There are a number of commercial vendors, like myself, Bill Crossland, Doug Garrott, who spend a lot of time giving free technical advice to people like you. Often so you don't have to pay one of us for a service call. It's a slap in the face to get this kind of reaction honestly, which is why I don't contribute to H-B anymore.
Please remember this the next time you ask a technical question to get you out of a "jam" if being denied a cup of coffee or two a day could be called that. Some of us depend on this industry to survive.
Thanks.
DanoM

Espresso: Bezzera Strega, '84 La...
Grinder: Compak K10, Kludge grinder,...
Posted Tue Apr 15, 2014, 7:45am

skydragondave Said:

I really don't see why you and others think it is more noble for hobbyists to seek free advice than people trying to put food on their tables. There are a number of commercial vendors, like myself, Bill Crossland, Doug Garrott, who spend a lot of time giving free technical advice to people like you. Often so you don't have to pay one of us for a service call. It's a slap in the face to get this kind of reaction honestly, which is why I don't contribute to H-B anymore.
Please remember this the next time you ask a technical question to get you out of a "jam" if being denied a cup of coffee or two a day could be called that. Some of us depend on this industry to survive.
Thanks.

Posted April 15, 2014 link

+1
I don't think asking higher end customers what machines they would stock is a bad thing.  We have a ready made forum here for people to mention their likes and dislikes.  Gives the OP a place to judge potential market for such things.

Vendors give us insight into equipment, design and troubleshooting, so why shouldn't we give a little back when vendors have questions for which we can give an opinion?  If your opinion is the OP should seek professional market assistance then that's a good opinion, but shooting down the request doesn't help anyone.
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Best espresso...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Home Espresso Machines
Watch videos with Gail & Kat, Rocket, Jura Capresso, Saeco, Rancilio, Quick Mill, Nespresso
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.37654209137)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+