Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
La Marzocco Linea MP-2 - water eating through stainless steel!
Home Espresso Machines
Watch videos with Gail & Kat, Rocket, Jura Capresso, Saeco, Rancilio, Quick Mill, Nespresso
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > La Marzocco...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
dubey

Expertise: Professional

Posted Thu Apr 17, 2014, 6:15am
Subject: La Marzocco Linea MP-2 - water eating through stainless steel!

Hi guys!
Fourth year of using La Marzocco Linea MP-2 (mechanical paddle) in cafe. Previous three years with no problem working on basic Faema (copper boiler and tubes).
With La Marzocco (stainless steel boiler and some of the tubes) we are experiencing problems with water which led to espresso boiler change - previous was eaten from the inside by water - leaked on seams so much we couldn't fix it.
Until begining of the year we were using regular water filtered by dedicated Brita (earlier Water+More) filters. Water was tested at 360 ppm straight from tap and 330 after Brita filtration. pH was 6.5-6.9.
No we are runing RO with bypass (bypass consists of three stages: 20 micron filtration/coal/5 micron filtration). It gives ppm of 150-180 (we can go as low as 40 ppm with RO only) and same pH.
Since RO introduction in January we had to service espresso machine once again - head groups started to leak, after disassembling parts made of stainless steel were already eaten through a bit (parts made of copper were ok...). In grup head - after removal of top element - there was reddish/rusty mud.
Do you have any ideas/recomendations for further investigations into the problem?
Iron, chloride and chlorine content testing?
Thanks!
dubey
 View Profile Link to this post
jonr

Expertise: I like coffee
Posted Thu Apr 17, 2014, 9:40am
Subject: Re: La Marzocco Linea MP-2 - water eating through stainless steel!

One way to corrode metal fast is to have some DC leakage current.  But I have no idea where that might come from.  

Stainless usually comes out the winner in cases of galvanic corrosion.
dubey

Posted Thu Apr 17, 2014, 1:46pm

Jonr, never thought of that... I'll have electrician to test for leakage.
Thanks!!!
dub
DeanOK
DeanOK

Espresso: QM Vetrano 2B
Grinder: Vario W
Posted Thu Apr 17, 2014, 6:02pm

dubey Said:

Jonr, never thought of that... I'll have electrician to test for leakage.
Thanks!!!
dub

Posted April 17, 2014 link

Plug it into a GFI. If there is any current going to ground from the line voltage, it will trip the GFI, even if it is only a few milliamps.
DavecUK

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Fri Apr 18, 2014, 7:04am

What is the steel being used for the Boilers 316 is the stainless of choice?
skydragondave

Espresso: Commercial Only
Grinder: Commercial Only
Roaster: Has Garanti HG5
Posted Fri Apr 18, 2014, 7:47am

If water is demineralized too much it will absorb minerals from whatever it can, including metal. Also check your pH again with the new system, you may find it acidic.
jonr

Posted Fri Apr 18, 2014, 10:17am

dubey Said:

I'll have electrician to test for leakage.

Posted April 17, 2014 link

I had to look it up, but evidently AC leakage also causes corrosion (but needs about 100x the current for the same damage).  So I'd check for both DC and AC leakage.
billc

Espresso: CC1 - GS - GS3 - GB5
Grinder: Baratza - Mazzer-Marzocco
Drip: My own Creation
Posted Sat Apr 19, 2014, 7:44pm

When using RO are you adding anything?  The material for the boilers is either 304L or 316L depending when it was made.  The usual issue is chlorides.  While the boilers are made with low carbon stainless (L) there are still some carbon atoms present.  chlorides can interact with e carbon (I will let a chemist add the proper words) and disolve the cause the carbon atoms to go into solution.  If there is enough concentration of carbon there is a possibility it could lead to a path to the outside.  When this happens precipitates can build up and cause additional leakage. This is usually why you might see a drop of water outside of the boiler shell.  Additionally there are some problems associated with the weld area (heat affected zone or HAZ) that can cause addional carbon to be present in this area.

The stainless is not really concerned with the pH of the water or to total dissolved solid count.  It is the type of solids in the water and if there are anions present (normally in the form of chloride).

Bill
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > La Marzocco...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Coffee Kids
Help folks who help folks in coffee producing nations.
coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.327631950378)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+