Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Breville Oracle - Anyone know anything?
The Coffee Project
Home coffee Roasting equipment, green beans, and supplies
www.coffeeproject.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Breville Oracle...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 7 of 8 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
dwRK

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Tue Apr 15, 2014, 12:34pm
Subject: Re: Breville Oracle - Anyone know anything?

Hi Oracle owners...quick question. Is the 58mm basket more or less standard and usable on other portafilters? Just curious. Thanks.
 View Profile Link to this post
espressocanada
espressocanada

Posted Tue Apr 15, 2014, 12:44pm
Subject: Well I can't believe this. My concerns have become validated on multiple levels

Breville Dual Boiler Espresso Machine BES920

I was very concerned about buying this product because it was made in China and as far as I am concerned should not be. Given the success and fantastic service from an American Made blender showed that its doable - Vitamix.

Anyway, I did buy it at the end of January of this year and it has lasted 21/2 months before encountering multiple problems.

First issue started 5 days ago in which the default temperature setting of 200F was not being maintained and continued to 226F. I unplugged the unit and it still continued to brew at the higher temperature even though the settings are factory set to 200F.

Now I'm getting error 003, just blinks away!...unplug it for an hour, then peeks back up again.

2nd Issue

It was stated at the retail store that the unit comes with a 2 year warranty and when I called Breville Canada, they are stating a 1 year warranty.

3rd Issue

Breville Canada does not have and adequate repair facility and gave me one shop in Bramalea Mall; when I called is was a fax machine. I called Breville back and they apologized giving me another number - THE MALL MAIN LINE. Called Breville back and now they want me to ship the unit to there warehouse in another province. I told them that this was ridiculous and they should offer me the "white glove service" they have for the 980. They told me they will provide a shipping label with no determination when it will be repaired or replaced. What they should do is send me a new unit so I can use that packaging and return this unit instead. I would provide a credit card to secure there product exchange.

DanoM

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Bezzera Strega, '84 La...
Grinder: Compak K10, Kludge grinder,...
Posted Tue Apr 15, 2014, 1:08pm
Subject: Re: Well I can't believe this...

espressocanada Said:

Breville Dual Boiler Espresso Machine BES920

I was very concerned about buying this product because it was made in China and as far as I am concerned should not be. Given the success and fantastic service from an American Made blender showed that its doable - Vitamix.

Anyway, I did buy it at the end of January of this year and it has lasted 21/2 months before encountering multiple problems.

First issue started 5 days ago in which the default temperature setting of 200F was not being maintained and continued to 226F. I unplugged the unit and it still continued to brew at the higher temperature even though the settings are factory set to 200F.

Now I'm getting error 003, just blinks away!...unplug it for an hour, then peeks back up again.

2nd Issue

It was stated at the retail store that the unit comes with a 2 year warranty and when I called Breville Canada, they are stating a 1 year warranty.

3rd Issue

Breville Canada does not have and adequate repair facility and gave me one shop in Bramalea Mall; when I called is was a fax machine. I called Breville back and they apologized giving me another number - THE MALL MAIN LINE. Called Breville back and now they want me to ship the unit to there warehouse in another province. I told them that this was ridiculous and they should offer me the "white glove service" they have for the 980. They told me they will provide a shipping label with no determination when it will be repaired or replaced. What they should do is send me a new unit so I can use that packaging and return this unit instead. I would provide a credit card to secure there product exchange.

Posted April 15, 2014 link

This thread is about the Breville Oracle, and not the BDB BES920XL.  Anyway looking on the Canadian website for Breville I see that the warranty is for 2 years on that machine.  The old BES900XL was a 1 year warranty with 1 year of extra support unofficially, so perhaps they were confused on that topic.  1 year is the general warranty for all Breville units in Canada too - another point of confusion possibly.

They do have a list of authorized repair facilities on their website in spreadsheet format 4 pages long.  The first page has a few Espresso Only sites too:
Click Here (breville.brevilleglobal.tplsandbox.com)
I think you might be in Ontario, so here's the Ontario espresso service companies:
Authorized Service Centre Name Address Address City Prov. Postal Code Phone Number
I DRINK COFFEE "service Coffee+ type models" 315 STEELES AVE. EAST Milton ON L9T1Y2 1-800-425-5405
ESPRESSO PLANET ‘ESPRESSO’s ONLY’ 1020 Brevik Place; Unit 2 Mississauga ON L4W4N7 1-877-465-2883
ANTHONY's EESPRESSO
EQUIPMENT ‘ESPRESSO’s ONLY’ 80 Carlauren Road. Unit #12 Woodbridge ON L4L 7Z5 (905) 264-0433

Best of luck!
espressocanada
espressocanada

Posted Tue Apr 15, 2014, 1:16pm

Thank you Dano. Lets see how quick they are to take care of this issue and what the issue is.
Iluvdabean
Iluvdabean
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: La Nuova Era Cuadra/Gaggia...
Grinder: Baratza Preciso/K-A Pro...
Drip: Bonavita BV 1800 TH
Roaster: Nesco 1010/Behmor 1600
Posted Tue Apr 15, 2014, 4:14pm

I am not a fan of Breville and bought an 800 ESXL seven years ago and had to return it. I will say this though from following them
here .They do seem to have a very very serious return policy once you finally contact the right person. You spent good money on it so
I would insist you get a new one with no questions asked unless its user error. In dealing with customers service its important to not get mad,dont use felony language,
and keep refocusing the people you talk to as you go up the ladder on the issue. You only want whats fair and this is an inconvenience you didnt initiate.Plus you paid good money.
I wouldn't be surprised if they dont just send you a new one. Remember dont get angry or act demanding but be courteous and firm.
Good luck.
 View Profile Contact via ICQ Link to this post
mcknightp

Expertise: Pro Barista

Espresso: LM 3 Grp
Grinder: Robur, Swift
Posted Wed Apr 16, 2014, 5:20pm

ToddJewell Said:

I've had the machine for a little over a week now and still getting used to it, but so far, so good. I had an issue this morning before work though, but didn't have time to explore before heading out.

I believe the grinder is acting strange. My first clue was that it ran inordinately long and when it shut off, the polishing didn't continue (it's set to run 4 seconds). Sure enough, the filter was not completely full and it wasn't leveled/polished. I reinserted the portafilter and rotated right to see if I could finish the dose. It did add more grounds and polish, although I don't think the polishing continued after the grinder (again). It looked good so I tried to brew. The grounds must have been too fine/compacted, because only a couple dribbles came out in 30 seconds.

I checked my beans and made sure the chute wasn't clogged, and tried everything again, twice more. Basically the same thing result, although the polisher did run for 4 seconds after the grinder stopped (at least once).

So... I've got two possible issues. 1) Polishing didn't continue after grinder, and 2) is my grind too fine/tamp too heavy, so that only a partial shot is extracted in 30 seconds?

Second one first... I'll explore the "fineness" of the grind tonight to make sure it corresponds to the setting I used. I wasn't anywhere close to grinding fine though, I think I was around 40 (and have ground extensively all the way from 15 to 43 as I played with the machine this past week). Last time after using the machine I did clean the grinder out real well, including removing and cleaning the upper burr. Is it possible I didn't reassemble it correctly? I've seen posted here that there is a way to manually adjust the grind (range) by adjusting the upper burr. Is it possible I inadvertently "adjusted" the upper burr instead of simply reassembling it? Making sure I've assembled it correctly and that my grind corresponds with my relatively course grind setting is my first concern. Can anyone describe this manual upper burr adjustment? I see the "align" mark and how to align it and then rotate to lock, so I'm not sure what I could have done incorrectly.

Thanks,
Todd

Posted April 15, 2014 link

Todd,

You can't adjust the upper burr without knowing that you did this. I wouldn't adjust this as it's not necessary out of the box. I might be necessary over time as the burrs wear, but not right away. If the correct grind size you need is #40, going down to #15 can only cause you issues by grinding way too fine, potentially causing blockage issues with very finely ground coffee. I always recommend that you start coarser & work finer as required.

Cheers, Phil
ToddJewell

Espresso: Breville Oracle
Grinder: Breville Oracle
Posted Thu Apr 17, 2014, 5:49am

I'm afraid my problem is probably worse than that. I've got a call into Breville now. It's grinding super-fine, even at the 40+ setting. And the polisher is not running after the grinder stops (the grounds aren't tamped at all). Adjusting the grind setting no longer seems to have any affect on the grind. It worked great for about 50 shots, but unless there's a quick fix or easy adjustment, it's 'goin back for repairs.

Todd
KatBrazier

Expertise: Professional

Posted Wed Apr 30, 2014, 4:56pm

Hi Todd,

First try a RESET.

It sounds like the grinder may be backed up with coffee. Is the tamper attached to the end of the shaft?
Try emptying the hopper, pull out the upper burr, clean out the grinder shoot from top to bottom (vacuum cleaner is ideal), also remove the tamper fan and clean off any excess coffee. Replace the tamper fan and replace the upper burr. Check that the upper burr is set to the #6 default setting; install the hopper, DO NOT fill with beans.
Then insert the portafilter and activate the grinder. Listen for the auger to run before the grinder starts. If yes, then fill hopper & set grind to #30 and go from there.
ToddJewell

Espresso: Breville Oracle
Grinder: Breville Oracle
Posted Wed Apr 30, 2014, 7:38pm

All good advice Kat, and I think I did everything except verify the upper burr is set to #6 default setting (goes to one of my original questions, there appears to be a way to adjust the upper burr, but no body can explain it - everyone simply says a support agent can walk you through it). Anyway, after talking to a support agent and confirming that adjusting the grind setting had absolutely no affect on the actual grind (combined with the fact that I had a severe metallic grinding noise one episode), the unit was returned and replaced. A couple days with the new machine and all is well so far - it is behaving exactly like my first machine did for the first 10 days of its life.

Thanks for the help, and I'm still interested in how to adjust the grind with the upper burr (beyond the normal grind adjust knob).

Cheers,
Todd
KatBrazier

Expertise: Professional

Posted Thu May 1, 2014, 5:40pm

Hi Todd,

Glad to hear it was all sorted. As for the adjustable outer burr (AOB) here’s how it works:

Some types of coffee may require a wider grind range to achieve an ideal extraction or brew.
The AOB gives the ability to extend this range. It is recommended to make only one adjustment at a time.

1. Empty hopper of beans & replace hopper
  2. Run grinder until empty
  3. Unlock & remove hopper
  4. Remove upper burr (AOB). You will notice that the default setting is #6
  5. Remove wire handle from both sides
  6. Move adjustable top burr 1 number, coarser or finer
  7. Align the number with the handle opening
  8. Re-insert the wire handle – make sure it is fully inserted and ‘clicks’ into place on both sides
  9. Push upper burr firmly into position and lock.
  10. Insert & lock hopper into position
  11. Check your extraction, re-adjust upper burr if required.
showing page 7 of 8 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Breville Oracle...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Find the Right Machine...
Package deals on the best machines from Izzo, Quick Mill, Rocket, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.388674020767)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+