Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Pressure Fluctuation During Extraction with Bezzera BZ10
Cafe Espresso Machines
Video reviews, nationwide installation, leasing options... Nuova Simonelli, Rancilio, La Marzocco.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Pressure...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
SThacker
SThacker
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Bezzera BZ10
Grinder: Baratza Vario
Vac Pot: None
Drip: None
Roaster: None
Posted Mon Apr 28, 2014, 7:33am
Subject: Pressure Fluctuation During Extraction with Bezzera BZ10

Hi all,

Wondering if anyone could provide some insight on the the pressure fluctuations while I'm pulling a shot on my Bezzera BZ10.  During extraction, the pressure gauge ramps up to approximately 9 bar and holds for just a couple seconds before dropping off to about 6 bar where it then sounds as if the pump is 'revving' between 6 and 9 bar for the duration of the shot.  When I backflush with a blind basket, it holds a constant pressure, but not nearly at the 12 bar mark where it used to, more like 9 to 10 bar.  The taste of my shots is still acceptable [Pilot Roasters Big Bro or Level Ground Tanzania (surprising works very well as espresso or in milk-based drinks.....)], but I have to hold the shot a little longer than I'd prefer.

In reading other forums and comments online, I've read that this could be a pump, OPV, or even an electrical issue.

If anyone has a similar experience and/or a 'fix' for this, I'd welcome the feedback....

Thanks in advance.
 View Profile Link to this post
jferreir

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Fri May 30, 2014, 9:07am
Subject: Re: Pressure Fluctuation During Extraction with Bezzera BZ10

SThacker Said:

Hi all,

Wondering if anyone could provide some insight on the the pressure fluctuations while I'm pulling a shot on my Bezzera BZ10.  During extraction, the pressure gauge ramps up to approximately 9 bar and holds for just a couple seconds before dropping off to about 6 bar where it then sounds as if the pump is 'revving' between 6 and 9 bar for the duration of the shot.  When I backflush with a blind basket, it holds a constant pressure, but not nearly at the 12 bar mark where it used to, more like 9 to 10 bar.  The taste of my shots is still acceptable [Pilot Roasters Big Bro or Level Ground Tanzania (surprising works very well as espresso or in milk-based drinks.....)], but I have to hold the shot a little longer than I'd prefer.

In reading other forums and comments online, I've read that this could be a pump, OPV, or even an electrical issue.

If anyone has a similar experience and/or a 'fix' for this, I'd welcome the feedback....

Thanks in advance.

Posted April 28, 2014 link

Purchased from idrinkcoffee.com in Milton, I take it?

Oddly enough, I also bought the Bezzera BZ10 with the intention of using Pilot's Big Bro blend. Unfortunately, I also experienced the same issue with fluctuating brew pressure. The pressure would initially climb to about 9 bar, and then immediately drop and oscillate between 4-6 bars (sometimes with the pump chugging back and forth). With a blind filter, the pump would take about 30 seconds to reach the factory OPV setting of 11.5/12 bars.

The result was under-extracted/sour coffee. To compensate, I had to extend the extraction time just like you described, but then the coffee was overly bitter. In the end, I returned the unit for servicing and they lowered the OPV to 9 bars and replaced the pump. A week later, the problem resurfaced. I returned the machine for a direct replacement, and to my astonishment, the new machine exhibited the exact same problem. If I remember correctly, the machines were built in Sept and Oct of 2013 respectively. I returned the second machine about a week ago, requesting that a better pump be installed, but they're currently waiting on parts (~2 week ETA).

There was a bit of a language barrier with the technician, but I think he said something about a bad batch of pumps. What I do know is that this fluctuation is not normal, and a few people have reported it. I suggest you call and discuss the issue with the store manager directly, and not to bother with the actual sales reps. I was initially given the runaround with a bunch of bogus excuses:
- Insufficient power
- Incorrect grind/tamp
- Incorrect OPV setting from factory (the technician was wrong -- factory OPV is 11.5/12 and NOT 9)
- Cheaper quality pump now made in China, so higher rate of failure
- Bad batch of pumps

In their defense, they did exchange my machine for a direct replacement, and then agreed to upgrade the pump. That said, I had to drive there on 3 separate occasions, and their customer service left a lot to be desired. If you're persistent, they will try to make things right, so best of luck and let us know how everything goes.
 View Profile Link to this post
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Pressure...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Stefano's Espresso Care
Repair - Parts - Sales
Factory Authorized &
Trained Technician
www.espressocare.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.297847986221)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+