Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
issue with sirai pressurestat
Cafe Espresso Machines
Video reviews, nationwide installation, leasing options... Nuova Simonelli, Rancilio, La Marzocco.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > issue with sirai...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
new_ton

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: La Pavoni Pre-Millenium, La...
Grinder: Baratza Virtuoso Preciso,...
Vac Pot: Yama Stovetop (5 Cup)
Drip: Hamilton Beach Carafe
Posted Thu May 1, 2014, 7:57pm
Subject: issue with sirai pressurestat

My single group La Spaziale New EK pressurestat (Sirai) is on the fritz. The machine continually overpressurizes to 2.3 BAR at which point the relief valve opens.

I took out the pressurestat and inspected it. There was gunk in the diaphram which i cleaned out. The diaphram is still very pliable. The problem seems to be that the pressurestat does not open when the system is pressurised. What could cause this issue? Thank you.
 View Profile Link to this post
SStones
SStones
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Giga 5, ECM Giotto, Rocket...
Grinder: Anfim Milano-Best
Vac Pot: No  :(
Drip: Some $30 thing from Walmart
Roaster: I buy pre-roasted.
Posted Fri May 2, 2014, 4:52am
Subject: Re: issue with sirai pressurestat

Check the connection between the boiler and the pressostat? If the pressostat was clogged, is the opening also full of gunk?  Can you operate the pressostat (Machine unplugged) with your finger, do the contacts no longer move apart?
I would suggest physically checking that the pressostat no longer opens and that the machine would stop heating if it were to open.   Let the machine heat up with the top off and the pressostat top off.  Watch the p-stat to confirm that it isn't opening as the machine goes over pressure.  Physically open the contacts with a plastic knife or any other tool that can not conduct electricity and confirm that the element stops heating with the p-stat contacts open.
This will confirm that the p-stat is in fact the problem, perhaps the plunger is seized. Perhaps the pivot point that the points rock on is just not sitting properly.
new_ton

Posted Fri May 2, 2014, 5:19am

Check the connection between the boiler and the pressostat?

- I did not remove the line between the pressurestat and boiler as it was hard (and quite small) to get to.

If the pressostat was clogged, is the opening also full of gunk?

- The opening was remarkably clean. The gunk actually looked like old coffee grounds. I am not sure how they got there though.

Can you operate the pressostat (Machine unplugged) with your finger, do the contacts no longer move apart?

- Yes, the contacts easily move manually when the machine is off.

Physically open the contacts with a plastic knife or any other tool that can not conduct electricity

- I cannot believe I did not think of this. I will manually open them this afternoon. I'll probably use a plastic chopstick to open it up.

Thank you!
new_ton

Posted Sat May 3, 2014, 3:39am

Ok, I opened the p-stat while the machine was running and the pressure immediately dropped, so the p-stat is the problem. I removed the p-stat again and rechecked it. Btw the line feeding the p-stat is free flowing.

The diaphram feels and looks very pliable. The contact easily move apart manually. The problem appears to be the spring device, it does not want to move. I was able to get it to move when I wedged a screwdriver in but it took alot of pressure, way more than 20 psi.

My question is, how do you dismantle this portion of the switch for repair?
SStones
SStones

Posted Mon May 5, 2014, 4:05am

You have tried turning the adjusting Spring/Screw counter anti-clockwise to adjust it to open at a lower pressure, already, right? I don't even know for sure without looking, but I'm assuming that the diaphragm is sitting under some sort of plunger that is directly levering the switch open and closed.  I don't know without actually looking, and I don't want to tear apart the pressostat in my Rocket because it has never had a problem, but potentially cleaning and lubricating that plunger between the diaphragm and mechanical switch may be the issue.  (Obviously I'm grasping at straws, I've never heard of a good Sirai p-stat failing to the un-adjustable point).
new_ton

Posted Mon May 5, 2014, 5:04am

I have tried the adjusting the pstat spring all the way up and all the way down, then all the way back up again for the lightest spring tension possible; no joy. There looks to be some gunk in the pivot point of the mechanical portion of the switch. I just can't get to it. I have another p-stat on order but it would be nice if I could get one back in shape as well.

The machine was sitting for a few months unused, but it worked beautifully before that.
SStones
SStones

Posted Tue May 6, 2014, 4:37am

You made me curious, so I found an old dead one to "Inspect" (play with). It was replaced due to a leakage so we can assume that it was still adjusted for somewhere around 1.1 Bar.  I find that with the brass removed and the diaphragm+plunger held in place at the hole in the bottom it is fairly easy to operate the switch just by squeezing the diaphragm up with fingertips while holding the body in both hands.  If yours is more difficult or impossible, perhaps cleaning and relubricating (With an aerosol silicon lube?) would be possible without fully removing the electrical section from the plate that separates the switch from the diaphragm.
new_ton

Posted Tue May 6, 2014, 11:11am

That info helps tremendously. I will try cleaning it and lubricating it. If I can get it to move with my fingers, I'll know I'm getting somewhere. If not, then it's time for a new p-stat (which is already on order). I'll post a reply once this task is complete. Fingers crossed.
new_ton

Posted Fri May 9, 2014, 10:09am

Well, I lublicated everything up and it seemed to help, not much but it was noticable. I put everything back together and still had the same issue. Oh well, my new p-stat will be here tomorrow or Monday. Thanks for the ideas and the help.
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > issue with sirai...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Rocket R58 Double Boiler
Rocket Espresso R58 Double Boiler -  Everything you need for the perfect shot!
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.31760597229)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+