Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
In over my head...
Learn @seattlecoffeegear
Learn all about coffee, watch videos, read how-to articles.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > In over my...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
serving4theking

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Rancilio Classe 9 USB3
Grinder: Super Jolly AUT
Posted Fri May 2, 2014, 9:52pm
Subject: In over my head...

Hello,

First, I will say that I really enjoy coffee. It has grown on me over the years, and living for 6 years in Eastern Europe definitely helped that process. My standard drink would usually be a macchiato (European style, not with funky flavors) or straight espresso.

I have worked 14 years in the nonprofit sector and direct a faith-based ministry which works with immigrants. Our board recently approved more research toward the idea of a profitable arm of our organization which may end up looking like an independent coffee / gelato cafe.

To that end, I began looking for a nice commercial espresso machine and I began visiting some cafes that were closing in the Midwest. I visited a cafe in Michigan and the owner was selling more than I needed. I made an offer for many items, after seeing them function properly, but the owner ultimately decided to put them on auction.

When I found out she did that, I decided to place a few bids. I placed a bid on a Rancilio Classe 9 USB3 commercial espresso machine. I made a max bid of $3000, figuring I would not get close to winning at that low price. I had seen the machine function well, and the good cosmetic shape it was in, so maybe I had an advantage since some of the bidders might have been assuming the worst about the machine. At any rate, to my shock I ended up winning the item for about $2000.

Now, we are not yet ready to open the cafe. In fact, the cafe may or may not even happen. But since I now own this very unique and special machine, I figured I would like to start the journey toward barista-ness.

So, I have some questions:

1) Assuming counter space can be accommodated, is there any reason why I wouldn't be able to begin using this machine in my home?

2) Knowing that it has been sitting idle for at least about a month or so, where would I go for a guide to properly cleaning it and making it ready to start pulling shots?

This is my first post, so go easy. I hope to contribute and learn here for a while. During my research phase, I did read several threads in this site. So now I'm back as a novice "one of you."

TB
 View Profile Link to this post
CoffeeRon

Espresso: Wega Lyra, Europiccola(still...
Grinder: Macap M7D, Pharos, Vario W,...
Vac Pot: Sunbeam CoffeeMaster
Drip: Melita BCM-4
Roaster: FR SR500,B-1600, SC/TO
Posted Fri May 2, 2014, 10:23pm
Subject: Re: In over my head...

Hi Tony and welcome to the forum,

Sounds like you got a sweet deal on the machine. You can set it up in your kitchen if you can provide the power and water. 220v at 30 amps from what I can find. If not  your kitchen maybe the laundry room? You'll also want to provide filtered and softened-(depending on the hardness of your water) water.

Nothing wrong with setting it up and getting to know it. I would stick my nose in the owners manual for a bit (should be easy to find online). You'll want to know the proper setup procedure, filling the boiler without the heating elements on- etc. and familiarize yourself with the control panel.

After sitting for a month you'd at least want to fill and drain the boiler a couple times and flush the system good. Just my opinion, some may suggest more aggressive cleaning such as descaling the boiler.

Hope this helps a bit, good luck and enjoy,

Ron
z0mbie
z0mbie
Expertise: I live coffee

Posted Fri May 2, 2014, 10:25pm

You probably need to check the specs to make sure you have the facilities to power the machine from your home. Most commercial machines cuisine more power than what typical homes can provide (15A vs. 20A)

Also another consideration is your water source location, filtration system, and drainage accommodations.

Those are the obvious factors that hopefully you've sorted out before buying the machine.
serving4theking

Posted Sat May 3, 2014, 10:52am

CoffeeRon Said:

Hi Tony and welcome to the forum,

Sounds like you got a sweet deal on the machine. You can set it up in your kitchen if you can provide the power and water. 220v at 30 amps from what I can find. If not  your kitchen maybe the laundry room? You'll also want to provide filtered and softened-(depending on the hardness of your water) water.

Nothing wrong with setting it up and getting to know it. I would stick my nose in the owners manual for a bit (should be easy to find online). You'll want to know the proper setup procedure, filling the boiler without the heating elements on- etc. and familiarize yourself with the control panel.

After sitting for a month you'd at least want to fill and drain the boiler a couple times and flush the system good. Just my opinion, some may suggest more aggressive cleaning such as descaling the boiler.

Hope this helps a bit, good luck and enjoy,

Ron

Posted May 2, 2014 link

Thanks for the welcome Ron!

This is helpful. I'll have to check whether I have a 220 outlet free. Since our water at home is simply city water (unfiltered and hard) - I don't want to put a home-wide softener / filter in the house. I will look for single-source options.

Tony
serving4theking

Posted Sat May 3, 2014, 10:56am

z0mbie Said:

You probably need to check the specs to make sure you have the facilities to power the machine from your home. Most commercial machines cuisine more power than what typical homes can provide (15A vs. 20A)

Also another consideration is your water source location, filtration system, and drainage accommodations.

Those are the obvious factors that hopefully you've sorted out before buying the machine.

Posted May 2, 2014 link

Weebit_nutty, thank you for the post! Actually, being slightly impulsive in this case, and knowing the value (even wholesale) for this machine, I did not sort out the obvious factors before buying the machine! Hence, my "in over my head" questions :)

I figure the worst-case scenario is that I can find a buyer in the Chicago market and double our money. But my first preference would be to learn it and then wait and see if we run with the cafe idea.
boar_d_laze

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: La Cimbali M21 DT/1 Junior...
Grinder: Ceado E92; "Bunnzilla"
Vac Pot: Royal Coffee Maker
Drip: Chemex + Kone; Espro Press
Roaster: USRC Sample Roaster
Posted Sat May 3, 2014, 11:25am

serving4theking Said:

I don't want to put a home-wide softener / filter in the house. I will look for single-source options.

Posted May 3, 2014 link

Hey Tony,

Your single source options are limited to running bottled water with a flo-jet or a dedicated line for the machine with particle, ion and chemical filtration on it (typically either a two-stage or an all purpose type like a Claris EverPure).

You'll want to flush enough water through the boiler on a regular basis to keep steam and "tap" water fresh.  Since your machine's boiler is so large (16L!) the bottled water option is impractical.  

Like nearly every other multi-group commercial, I'm pretty sure the Classe 9s require a direct plumb to either a bucket or drain for the drip tray.

Each group has its own HX.  Make sure you flush and stabilize which ever you'll use every time you fire up the machine, and after every long idle.  Try to give the groups more or less equal use.    

Also, the machine is 6000W.  It needs a dedicated, 220V 30A, minimum circuit.

A Classe 9 3group is way too much machine for most homes.  For that matter, it's an awful lot for a small cafe.  Consider trading it for something more home and noob friendly.  

Rich
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > In over my...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Rancilio Silvia - How to
Step by step guide for easy brewing and steaming with the Rancilio Silvia
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.343322992325)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+