Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Shots blonde in 5 seconds at home?
Commercial Equipment
Nuova Simonelli, La Marzocco, Rancilio. Nationwide installation. Instant financing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Shots blonde in...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
thepilgrimsdream

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Wed May 7, 2014, 9:30pm
Subject: Shots blonde in 5 seconds at home?

Beans - (fresh roasted at my shop, tested on a la marzocco)
Grinder - Super Jolly
Machine - Rancilio S27
Double portafilter
Time - 24 sec
Weight - 2 oz

So I can pull great shots at work, but at home my shots blonde in about 5 seconds.

I had my machine recently serviced, they claimed it was set to 9 bars of pressure and I have the boiler pressure at 1.3.

With a kitchen thermometer the espresso comes out at 180 deg and the hot water dispenser around 205.

My variables seem to be not knowing the exact pressure, temperature and condition of my grinder blades(just ordered a new pair). I hope to build a diy pressure gauge tomorrow.

Any suggestions on what it could be or how to better calculate the variables?

Thanks
 View Profile Link to this post
frcn
frcn
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Vibiemme Domobar Double
Grinder: Mazzer Kony, Baratza...
Vac Pot: Hario, 2 Cory pots, 1 Cory...
Drip: Behmor Brazen, Bunn A10 mod...
Roaster: computer controlled Hottop,...
Posted Wed May 7, 2014, 9:43pm
Subject: Re: Shots blonde in 5 seconds at home?

If the burrs are suspect then all other comments are going to be so general that they are nearly without value- we can talk dose, distribution, and tamp for a month, but without a grinder of known quality and performance then it is all just wasted time and effort.

The three rules of espresso are grinder, grinder, grinder

Visit My Website
www.EspressoMyEspresso.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
thepilgrimsdream

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Thu May 8, 2014, 7:17pm

Got my new burrs, my shots taste a lot sweeter and the flavor has opened up, so yes I needed to new burrs, but unfortunately my shots are still blonding early :/
boar_d_laze

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: La Cimbali M21 DT/1 Junior...
Grinder: Ceado E92; "Bunnzilla"
Vac Pot: Royal Coffee Maker
Drip: Chemex + Kone; Espro Press
Roaster: USRC Sample Roaster
Posted Thu May 8, 2014, 7:27pm

thepilgrimsdream Said:

Got my new burrs, my shots taste a lot sweeter and the flavor has opened up, so yes I needed to new burrs, but unfortunately my shots are still blonding early :/

Posted May 8, 2014 link

Some questions for you:

Weight of dose?
Time to the blond point?
Weight (not volume) of shot?

Does the stream still exhibit "tiger striping," at the "blond point?"

Would you describe your blond point as tan, white, or translucent?

How much crema in the stream?
How much crema in the cup?

How much post-roast rest on the beans?

If you're using a naked pf, what are your observations regarding channeling?
If you're using a spouted pf, what are your observations regarding the bending of the stream(s)?

Rich
z0mbie
z0mbie

Posted Fri May 9, 2014, 1:06am

Rich, I've noticed myself that every since I started letting the beans rest for longer (about a week), my shots begin to blond towards the end of the shot, whereas before the shots would barely show amt signs of blonding throughout the shot.  Now it could be the varietal since I rarely use the same lb of beans from batch to batch.

I should also note I use the LCM and the Cremina quite interchangeably, as my prep is identical and the shots are indistinguishable between the machines (at least to me). I use the same basket, naked pf, and grinds.  I've pulled simultaneous shots literally side by side.  

So I'm curious what the most significant factor are for blonding behavior.  My guess would be the roast itself and that lighter roasts don't blond (city), or not noticeably.
boar_d_laze

Espresso: La Cimbali M21 DT/1 Junior...
Grinder: Ceado E92; "Bunnzilla"
Vac Pot: Royal Coffee Maker
Drip: Chemex + Kone; Espro Press
Roaster: USRC Sample Roaster
Posted Fri May 9, 2014, 6:52am

z0mbie Said:

Rich, I've noticed myself that every since I started letting the beans rest for longer (about a week), my shots begin to blond towards the end of the shot, whereas before the shots would barely show amt signs of blonding throughout the shot.  Now it could be the varietal since I rarely use the same lb of beans from batch to batch.

I should also note I use the LCM and the Cremina quite interchangeably, as my prep is identical and the shots are indistinguishable between the machines (at least to me). I use the same basket, naked pf, and grinds.  I've pulled simultaneous shots literally side by side.  

So I'm curious what the most significant factor are for blonding behavior.  My guess would be the roast itself and that lighter roasts don't blond (city), or not noticeably.

Posted May 9, 2014 link

Hi Scotty,

I'm very flattered that you asked me, rather than addressing the question to the board -- although let's hope mine isn't the only answer.  

I use blonding as a visual check on the level of extraction; a way of cutting the shot before over-extraction; using the calculation that a certain appearance roughly equals a certain level of extraction.  

Your observation that blonding occurs earlier at the end of shots made with well rested coffee than with very fresh coffee is PFA (pretty darn acute); and is the flip side of "too much crema and too thick a stream from too fresh beans).  If you didn't already know, you could read between the lines and guess I like my espresso beans with a couple more days of rest than many other people do.  

Because you're right about blonding changing with rest, I asked Dan about roast date as a way of nailing down that particular variable.  

(My take on the blonding process in general is probably the same as yours and Dan's and anyone else participating in this thread.  So, just for the sake of those who may  be lurking... ) With the exception of the disappearance of "tiger striping," it's more about the process of getting lighter than nailing any particular color in particular -- with some qualification.  As a general rule, I prefer my normales on the border of ristretto (and vice versa), so there's usually some striping and a great deal of tan left in the stream, but seldom a show of white nor transparency.

Watching the stream for color change is also helpful because it focuses your attention on what's going on with the coffee itself, rather than your watch or one of the gauges.  I'm not sure what I have to offer to Dan, because he's a professional and probably pulls more shots in a week than I do in a year.  

Sometimes when people write posts they don't give important information because they don't know what it is; but occasionally, they omit it because they assume you know -- and that's what's going on here.  If there's any chance we can help Dan, it won't happen without time and weight measurements and his seat of the pants observations.  

Rich
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Shots blonde in...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Find the Right Machine...
Package deals on the best machines from Izzo, Quick Mill, Rocket, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.330136060715)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+