Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Gaggia Classic - water returns into reservoir after OPV setting
Learn @seattlecoffeegear
Learn all about coffee, watch videos, read how-to articles.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Gaggia Classic -...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
andreafelix

Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: Gaggia Classic OPV mod
Grinder: Eureka Mignon
Posted Thu May 8, 2014, 11:48pm
Subject: Gaggia Classic - water returns into reservoir after OPV setting

Hi, I bought a Gaggia Classic a couple of months ago and after a while also the grinder (eureka mignon). I replaced the pressurized pf and a few days ago I adjusted the OPV pressure (static) from12 to 10. After this operation I started hearing the classical leaking sound when brewing or backflushing. I noticed that water comes back into the reservoir... what does that mean? How can I fix it?

Thanks!

Ciao
Andrea
 View Profile Link to this post
D4F

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Gaggia Classic PID
Grinder: Baratza Forte-AP
Posted Fri May 9, 2014, 9:14am
Subject: Re: Gaggia Classic - water returns into reservoir after OPV setting

The pump is about 15 bar capable and the OPV now opens when there is more pressure than the 10 that you set as a limit.  Your puck with grind, tamp, and amount of coffee greatly determine the pressure up to the limit set by the OPV.  It sounds like the Valve is working properly as the OPV function is to limit pressure by sending water to the tank when it is Over Pressure (OPV) and letting the puck see a constant 10 bar.  

You did not mention how the espresso was.  What is the espresso weight in the cup?  How is the taste?  Did it change?

Hope that is helpful and adequate :)

D4F also at
http://www.gaggiausersgroup.com/
SJM

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: SAMA, Gaggia Classic
Grinder: K-10PB, Rancilio MD-50
Vac Pot: no like
Drip: no like
Roaster: HotTop
Posted Fri May 9, 2014, 9:21am

andreafelix Said:

Hi, I bought a Gaggia Classic a couple of months ago and after a while also the grinder (eureka mignon). I replaced the pressurized pf and a few days ago I adjusted the OPV pressure (static) from12 to 10. After this operation I started hearing the classical leaking sound when brewing or backflushing. I noticed that water comes back into the reservoir... what does that mean? How can I fix it?

Thanks!

Ciao
Andrea

Posted May 8, 2014 link

That's exactly what is supposed to happen.
Nothing to fix.
You set the pressure lower, so water being delivered at over that pressure is diverted back.
Good job.
andreafelix

Posted Fri May 9, 2014, 9:45am

D4F Said:

The pump is about 15 bar capable and the OPV now opens when there is more pressure than the 10 that you set as a limit.  Your puck with grind, tamp, and amount of coffee greatly determine the pressure up to the limit set by the OPV.  It sounds like the Valve is working properly as the OPV function is to limit pressure by sending water to the tank when it is Over Pressure (OPV) and letting the puck see a constant 10 bar.  

You did not mention how the espresso was.  What is the espresso weight in the cup?  How is the taste?  Did it change?

Hope that is helpful and adequate :)

Posted May 9, 2014 link

Hi D4F! It's nice to meet you again! You already helped me in this thread http://coffeegeek.com/forums/espresso/machines/661322?Page=1
The response is great and makes me happy because I was afraid I damaged something with the mod.

The coffee was not bad, I'm still at the beginning, I'm trying different blends from some local roasters and playing with the grinders (that I bought a few weeks ago). So basically I'm still in the phase to measure how long the coffee takes to properly fill the cup. I tried also to weigh the output, but I'm not paying big attention to that for the moment.

One question: what happen if I backflush with a chemical detergent (like Cafiza)? Will the detergent go through the soft tube also in the water tank? Is it a problem?

thanks again for your big help

cheers
Andrea
andreafelix

Posted Fri May 9, 2014, 9:51am

SJM Said:

That's exactly what is supposed to happen.
Nothing to fix.
You set the pressure lower, so water being delivered at over that pressure is diverted back.
Good job.

Posted May 9, 2014 link

Hi SJM, that's really a relief to me. I didn't know this was the regular behaviour, since before the mod I didn't hear any leaking sound I thought to have damaged something...

I'm really grateful for your clarification!

ciao,
Andrea
D4F

Posted Fri May 9, 2014, 10:04am

Yes, I remember you and the previous thread.  Good to hear again.

Backflush means chemicals in a blind basket and they will be picked up through the group and out to the drip tray, not into the boiler or reservoir, not through or connected to the OPV.  The OPV controls pressure as noted, and the 3 way solenoid controls flow direction.  Backflush machines with 3 way like the Classic, and no backflush if no 3 way.

D4F also at
D4F

Posted Fri May 9, 2014, 10:06am

A little helpful reading :)

http://www.frcndigital.com/coffee/3way/intro.html

D4F also at
andreafelix

Posted Fri May 9, 2014, 3:45pm

D4F Said:

A little helpful reading :)

http://www.frcndigital.com/coffee/3way/intro.html

Posted May 9, 2014 link

Really interesting! Thanks a lot :-)

Ciao
Andrea
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Gaggia Classic -...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Coffee Kids
Help folks who help folks in coffee producing nations.
coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.3558781147)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+