Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Gaggia Classic - backflushing w/ cafiza damage the aluminium screen show holder
Find the Right Machine...
Package deals on the best machines from Izzo, Quick Mill, Rocket, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Gaggia Classic -...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
andreafelix

Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: Gaggia Classic OPV mod
Grinder: Eureka Mignon
Posted Sat May 10, 2014, 3:46am
Subject: Gaggia Classic - backflushing w/ cafiza damage the aluminium screen show holder

Hi there,
I've the Gaggia Classic from about two months and I've never backflushed with a detergent (I backflush with water after each session). The main reason is that I haven't  understood if there is a problem with the screen show holder that is made of aluminium (I known there is a brass version).

As far I've understood, Cafiza (and the other similar detergents) can damage the aluminium parts (that will become black eventually) and I am a little worried for health consequences.

Questions:

1. Can Cafiza damage the aluminium parts?
  2. Which aluminium parts are involved during the backflushing (only the screen show holder)?
  3. When I should replace the aluminium parts (assuming to use Cafiza every other week)?
  4. Does it make sense the remove the screen show holder before backflushing?
  5. Replacing the screen show holder made of aluminium with one made of brass will I avoid this kind if problems?

My idea, from what I've read in various posts, is that Cafiza can damage the screen show holder, but this is not dangerous. In any case after a while (1 year?) I'd like to replace it with one made of brass

Thanks for sharing your ideas

ciao
Andrea
 View Profile Link to this post
D4F

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Gaggia Classic PID
Grinder: Baratza Forte-AP
Posted Sat May 10, 2014, 8:45am
Subject: Re:Gaggia Classic - backflushing w/cafiza damage the shower holder

Aluminum parts are a concern for de-scale because acid is used.  In reality that is a minimal concern if you do not use prolonged contact, and then flush the acid.  If you want to drive yourself crazy, read about aluminum and health.  You may find that the reading and concern will cause you more problems than the aluminum itself :)  Or perhaps the Gaggia owners have forgotten their concerns already having ingested too much aluminum, but, YMMV :)

The backflush agents are considered safe enough, and Gaggia has its own brand cleaning tablets, and most are similar.  My dispersion disk is not black and the contact is short time trying to remove oils. "Can" it cause damage?  Not sure that answer.

Backflush is from basket back through a group passage and down to the drip tray, so I believe the only aluminum is the dispersion disk. I have not replaced the disk as the brass one is fairly expensive.

I don't remove the disk with backflush, just the screen.  Remove the disk with de-scale.  If you remove the disk, you will still need to clean it in the same or similar solution.

Sounds like you are reading and having fun :)

D4F also at
http://www.gaggiausersgroup.com/
andreafelix

Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: Gaggia Classic OPV mod
Grinder: Eureka Mignon
Posted Sat May 10, 2014, 10:29am
Subject: Re: Gaggia Classic - backflushing w/cafiza damage the shower holder

D4F Said:

Aluminum parts are a concern for de-scale because acid is used.  In reality that is a minimal concern if you do not use prolonged contact, and then flush the acid.  If you want to drive yourself crazy, read about aluminum and health.  You may find that the reading and concern will cause you more problems than the aluminum itself :)  Or perhaps the Gaggia owners have forgotten their concerns already having ingested too much aluminum, but, YMMV :)

The backflush agents are considered safe enough, and Gaggia has its own brand cleaning tablets, and most are similar.  My dispersion disk is not black and the contact is short time trying to remove oils. "Can" it cause damage?  Not sure that answer.

Backflush is from basket back through a group passage and down to the drip tray, so I believe the only aluminum is the dispersion disk. I have not replaced the disk as the brass one is fairly expensive.

I don't remove the disk with backflush, just the screen.  Remove the disk with de-scale.  If you remove the disk, you will still need to clean it in the same or similar solution.

Sounds like you are reading and having fun :)

Posted May 10, 2014 link

Hi D4F, thanks for your support!

So in short it's ok to use Cafiza...out of curiosity: why do you remove the screen when backflushing?

thanks

ciao,
Andrea
D4F

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Gaggia Classic PID
Grinder: Baratza Forte-AP
Posted Sat May 10, 2014, 10:37am
Subject: Re: Gaggia Classic - backflushing w/cafiza damage the shower holder

You will get grounds above the screen and cleaners will not remove them.  In practice, I backflush daily with water by ending the sessions with a brief rinse through the group, then use a blind basket and water backflush.  I do not remove the screen for that.  I only chemical backflush about every 3 - 4 weeks and I do remove the screen.  I also wipe the aluminum dispersion disk and get off a lot of  loose but not removed oils.

Next installment :)

http://www.gaggiausersgroup.com/index.php/topic,110.0.html

Happy to help, Fred

D4F also at
http://www.gaggiausersgroup.com/
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Gaggia Classic -...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Donate to Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids works with farming communities around the world, improving lives. Donate today.
www.coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.290875911713)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+