Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
My machine failed me. Suggestions?
Home Espresso Machines
Watch videos with Gail & Kat, Rocket, Jura Capresso, Saeco, Rancilio, Quick Mill, Nespresso
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > My machine...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
Ryanrbjj

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Mon May 12, 2014, 3:27am
Subject: My machine failed me. Suggestions?

Hey guys, I'm a coffee addict.

I received a delonghi EC-702 as a wedding gift. And a breville smart grinder. This replaced the Moka pot I had been using for years. After about 4 months of pulling 4 shots a day, the delonghi stopped producing. The water would barely drip out. Towards the end, the shots were becoming inconsistent anyway.  I returned the machine to macys and am back to using my Moka pot.

I don't want to buy the same machine again, if this problem is going to recur. Does anyone have suggestions on a good semi auto machine? I don't need a frother. And a tamper isn't necessary, I can buy one. Thank you all
 View Profile Link to this post
canuckcoffeeguy
canuckcoffeeguy

Espresso: Bezzera Magica, Mypressi...
Grinder: K10PB, Vario, Hario Slim
Vac Pot: I have a Dyson vacuum, but,...
Drip: Aeropress, Bialetti Brikka,...
Posted Mon May 12, 2014, 4:00am
Subject: Re: My machine failed me. Suggestions?

Hi there,
Please read the following link and then answer the supplied questions. Everyone's individual espresso needs are different, and the questions help people tailor their advice to you, specifically. Lots of helpful members in this forum, and responding to the standard questions will assist with your inquiry. Check out this link and then post your answers :
"Please read before you post New Machine buying question."
emradguy
emradguy
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Duetto II; Twist v2
Grinder: M Major, Macap M4, Pharos,...
Drip: Espro presses; Aeropress
Roaster: H-B "List of Favorites"
Posted Mon May 12, 2014, 7:57am

yes, as suggested, please read the sticky and answer the questions.

In the meantime, a couple of questions for you...

The problem you describe with your machine screams of inadequate care (actually, it screams of a total absence of care).  Did you perform any routine maintenance on it to keep it clean? I'm not asking about wiping down the visible surface but, rather, doing things such as flush water through the group after a shot or scrub the shower screen after each session?  How hard is your water? Limescale buildup can cause the problem you describe, but it typically takes a lot longer than 4 months, so your water supply would have to be insanely hard - like it came out of a lime quarry, so most like the former is the culprit.

If you don't take care of your machine, it's going to die a similar death, no matter what you choose to purchase. Analagous to if you never change the oil, brake fluid, transmission fluid, coolant and filters on your car.

Always remember the most important thing is what ends up in your cup!
emradguy
emradguy
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Duetto II; Twist v2
Grinder: M Major, Macap M4, Pharos,...
Drip: Espro presses; Aeropress
Roaster: H-B "List of Favorites"
Posted Mon May 12, 2014, 8:08am

Ryanrbjj Said:

...And a tamper isn't necessary, I can buy one.

Posted May 12, 2014 link

You definitely should buy one.  Unless you get very, very lucky or spend over $3k on your machine, you're going to get a shitty plastic tamper-like thing with it...not a well-crafted, well-fitting, solid, quality tamper. However, wait until you get your machine to buy the tamper.  Most commercial and consumer grade machines use a 58mm basket, but some don't and you don't want to have to exchange the tamper because you didn't wait to see what size you need.

Also, as I neglected to mention in my other post...you would do well to read about espresso machine maintenance. There are a lot of resources to choose from, and www.1st-line.com is a good one.  Sign up for their newsletter while you're there, they send out maintenance reminders with links to articles, etc. Which steps you will need to perform will depend on which machine you choose.  For instance, any machine without a 3-way valve doesn't get backflushed (I'm 99% sure the machine you just returned did not have a 3-way valve).  Read about 3-way valves on www.espressomyespresso.com You're going to want a machine with a 3-way (and it doesn't mean you have to pay an arm and a leg).  In fact, while you're there, read article 12 under the how-to section, Easy Guide to Better Espresso at Home.

EDIT: I just looked at the specs for the Delonghi model you returned and no, it definitely did NOT have a 3-way solenoid valve.

Also, I just looked at the entire list of available coffee makers on Macy's website.  There isn't one espresso machine there worth buying...though, interestingly, the Delonghi EC-702 wasn't on the list. Use your credit towards something else you need to buy anyways and use that money to get your machine from one of the places online specializing in coffee gear...such as 1st-line, Chris' Coffee Service, Whole Latte Love, Seattle CoffeeGear, Sweet Maria's...etc (these are in no particular order and there are other sites worth buying from).

and btw...welcome to CoffeeGeek!

Always remember the most important thing is what ends up in your cup!
Ryanrbjj

Posted Mon May 12, 2014, 8:43am

Thank you for the helpful advice. I'll look at those websites and read the links!
Ryanrbjj

Posted Mon May 12, 2014, 8:46am

emradguy Said:

yes, as suggested, please read the sticky and answer the questions.

In the meantime, a couple of questions for you...

The problem you describe with your machine screams of inadequate care (actually, it screams of a total absence of care).  Did you perform any routine maintenance on it to keep it clean? I'm not asking about wiping down the visible surface but, rather, doing things such as flush water through the group after a shot or scrub the shower screen after each session?  How hard is your water? Limescale buildup can cause the problem you describe, but it typically takes a lot longer than 4 months, so your water supply would have to be insanely hard - like it came out of a lime quarry, so most like the former is the culprit.

If you don't take care of your machine, it's going to die a similar death, no matter what you choose to purchase. Analagous to if you never change the oil, brake fluid, transmission fluid, coolant and filters on your car.

Posted May 12, 2014 link

I took apart and cleaned the portafilter after every use, every week I took off and cleaned the boiler plate. And when the coffee production slowed, I used the included descaler. That's about it. I followed all of the maintenance in the instruction booklet. If a machine requires more maintenance than this, I may stick with my Moka pot lol
DanniDoo

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Mon May 12, 2014, 9:16pm

Invest in a plunger. They're awesome and reliable :)
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > My machine...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Great Espresso at Home
Curated selection of the best machines from La Spaziale, Izzo, Quick Mill, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.359898090363)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+