Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Pod Machines : Is It Even Practical
Rocket R58 Double Boiler
Rocket Espresso R58 Double Boiler -  Everything you need for the perfect shot!
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Pod Machines :...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 4 last page next page
Author Messages
TheCoffeePeople76
TheCoffeePeople76
Expertise: Pro Barista

Posted Thu May 15, 2014, 6:31pm
Subject: Pod Machines : Is It Even Practical

I know people who just empties a sachet into a cup and savours coffee or atleast pops in a pod and clicks a button. Or maybe a guy with an espresso machine paired with a good grinder, be it manual or semi-auto or super-auto.

Is it really just me or is everyone hating pod machines. They ruin the experience, it has a lack of variety (You could only drink what they'd offer) , Some machines don't go 15 bars (If you like espresso, this is a problem),And mostly, .....The pods costs too much guys.

Also for most of us it takes the joy of brewing out of the window, pop it in click a button its boring for us guys really.

For the coffee lover not a barista, a purist, a passionate guy, not even close.

So I need your opinion guys, Thanks.

What do you think about it. (If you own one then yeah appreciate it guys, its okay to have one)
 View Profile Link to this post
emradguy
emradguy
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Duetto II; Twist v2
Grinder: M Major, Macap M4 x2, VDD...
Drip: Espro presses; Aeropress
Roaster: H-B "List of Favorites"
Posted Fri May 16, 2014, 7:25am
Subject: Re: Pod Machines : Is It Even Practical

TheCoffeePeople76 Said:

I know people who just empties a sachet into a cup and savours coffee or atleast pops in a pod and clicks a button. Or maybe a guy with an espresso machine paired with a good grinder, be it manual or semi-auto or super-auto.

Is it really just me or is everyone hating pod machines.

Posted May 15, 2014 link

"hate" is a pretty strong word.  Most everyone here has come to their own conclusion that the coffee produced by said machine is less than desirable, which I think is what you're getting at. However, I do find the Nespresso marginally drinkable and, at least as far as not offending my close friends, will often accept one at their home when offered.  It's certainly better than *$$, for that matter!

TheCoffeePeople76 Said:

Some machines don't go 15 bars (If you like espresso, this is a problem).

Posted May 15, 2014 link

you claim to be a professional. So, let me ask you...what does 15 bars have to do with anything concerning quality espresso? That's all hype and gimmick, popularized by companies, such as Nestle, who produce extremely low end gear and target the mass populous. So you statement seems contradictory to your claims of experience.

TheCoffeePeople76 Said:

Also for most of us it takes the joy of brewing out of the window, pop it in click a button its boring for us guys really.

Posted May 15, 2014 link

uh, yeah, right...operating a pod machine has nothing similar to actually preparing espresso.

TheCoffeePeople76 Said:

So I need your opinion guys, Thanks.

Posted May 15, 2014 link

seems like you may have come to the right place?

Always remember the most important thing is what ends up in your cup!
JasonBrandtLewis
JasonBrandtLewis

Espresso: Elektra T1 - La Valentina -...
Grinder: Mahlkönig K30 Vario -...
Vac Pot: Yama 5-cup
Drip: CCD, Chemex
Roaster: No, no, not another...
Posted Fri May 16, 2014, 8:37am

OK, I'll play . . .

TheCoffeePeople76 Said:

Posted May 15, 2014 link

Uh, maybe it's the bad grammar/typing, maybe I'm just dense, or maybe Churchill was right¹, but I'm really not sure what you're saying . . .

TheCoffeePeople76 Said:

Is it really just me or is everyone hating pod machines. They ruin the experience, it has a lack of variety (You could only drink what they'd offer) , Some machines don't go 15 bars (If you like espresso, this is a problem),And mostly, .....The pods costs too much guys.

Posted May 15, 2014 link

Well, I agree that "hate" is a rather strong word, and certainly "everyone" is a gross exaggeration.  After all, many people own them; many buying buy them; and certainly the retailers who sell them aren't about to stop.  As for variety, one could argue that there is variety; after all, one single company, Pod Merchant offers coffees from over a dozen different roasters, with most (if not all) roasters offering more than one single type.  As for "ruining the experience," is the experience in making the espresso or in drinking it?  No one would deny that the experience is in drinking it, but only a few of us -- and not even everyone on CoffeeGeek -- would agree the experience is in making it².

TheCoffeePeople76 Said:

Posted May 15, 2014 link

Yes, well, the same can be said of the even more popular super-automatics that proliferate in homes and cafés . . . but (sadly) I don't think they will disappear anytime soon.  And now, I'm forced not to look at the espresso machine to make sure it's not a super-auto, but rather to look for a grinder . . . the only way to tell if the café's espresso machine is using "real" coffee (as opposed to those Illy capsules) is to see if there's a grinder present.

TheCoffeePeople76 Said:

For the coffee lover not a barista, a purist, a passionate guy, not even close.

Posted May 15, 2014 link

I would think this depends upon the situation, doesn't it?  For example, I would rather take the time to grind, prepare, and make my espresso; on most mornings, I sip it.  But rarely does a day go by when someone posts on this site about not wanting to take the time to allow the machine to properly heat up, to grind the beans . . . they just want to walk up, push a button, and go . . . .

Having a pod machine (or a super-automatic) is a way to do that, and if someone is happy with the results, who am I to tell them their taste buds are wrong?  Would I want one?  No.  Then again, I am fortunate enough a) to be able to afford decent equipment, b) to have the patience to take whatever time is needed (and it's not all that much!) to pull a decent shot(s) every morning, and c) to have a palate good enough to taste the difference!  (Though some may consider that a curse rather than a blessing.)

But going back to the TITLE of your post, "Is It Even Practical," the answer is simple:  Yes, of course, for some people it is . . . for others, the practical aspect of a pod machine is trumped by the quality of a properly prepared shot.

² After all, while I might enjoy the ritual (for lack of a better term) of making my espresso in the morning, my wife just wants her coffee -- she doesn't care about "the experience," even though she can certainly appreciate the difference between what I make for her, versus what she gets in a café or restaurant.

A morning without coffee is sleep . . .
emradguy
emradguy

Espresso: Duetto II; Twist v2
Grinder: M Major, Macap M4 x2, VDD...
Drip: Espro presses; Aeropress
Roaster: H-B "List of Favorites"
Posted Fri May 16, 2014, 11:36am

JasonBrandtLewis Said:

² After all, while I might enjoy the ritual (for lack of a better term) of making my espresso in the morning, my wife just wants her coffee -- she doesn't care about "the experience," even though she can certainly appreciate the difference between what I make for her, versus what she gets in a café or restaurant.

Posted May 16, 2014 link

This sounds very similar to my house! :)

Always remember the most important thing is what ends up in your cup!
Manitobanerd
Manitobanerd
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Breville Cafe Roma
Grinder: Hario & blade grinder
Vac Pot: Moka express
Drip: Melitta
Roaster: N/A
Posted Sun May 18, 2014, 11:35am

I actually got heavy into coffee when I tried coffee made in the keurig. It was a lot better than the instant and stale coffee made in a cheap drip machine that I was drinking up until then. The only downside is its expensive, and probably not as good as freshly roasted.
wabbitt
wabbitt

Espresso: stovetop pots,aeropress
Grinder: skerton, SoloGrind
Drip: melitta cone, chemex
Posted Mon May 19, 2014, 9:25am

TheCoffeePeople76 Said:

Posted May 15, 2014 link

Pods have their place.  They aren't recommended by "coffeegeeks" because the coffee is not fresh and the "geek" part of a coffeegeek doesn't not have control over any of the variables like grind size, temperature, pressure, time in contact with the coffee, etc.  The majority of coffee drinking people just want a cup of refreshment (or a caffeine fix) don't care about these things.  They are happy enough just getting their coffee drink quickly.  They are not coffeegeeks.  

Coffeegeeks are not everyone.

Coffeesnobs is a different forum.
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
DavecUK

Posted Mon May 19, 2014, 10:07am

wabbitt Said:

Pods have their place.  They aren't recommended by "coffeegeeks" because the coffee is not fresh and the "geek" part of a coffeegeek doesn't not have control over any of the variables like grind size, temperature, pressure, time in contact with the coffee, etc.  The majority of coffee drinking people just want a cup of refreshment (or a caffeine fix) don't care about these things.  They are happy enough just getting their coffee drink quickly.  They are not coffeegeeks.  

Coffeegeeks are not everyone.

Posted May 19, 2014 link

yup, it's sort of like the poptart of coffee, or the microwave popcorn of popcorn, or the dreaded Pot Noodle.
takeshi
takeshi

Espresso: Alex Duetto 3.0
Grinder: Super Jolly
Roaster: Amaya Roasting
Posted Mon May 19, 2014, 12:23pm

TheCoffeePeople76 Said:

Is it really just me or is everyone hating pod machines.

Posted May 15, 2014 link

It's you.  Everyone does not.  Most CoffeeGeeks don't care for them (+1 on hate being a strong word) because they don't produce the desired result in the cup.  However, plenty of people do like them.  In fact, sites like SingleServeCoffee are designed for people to discuss pod, cup and other such machines.  It's all about finding whatever solution suits the individual.
Angman
Angman

Espresso: Strega, MCal, Cimbali M20L
Grinder: K10 Fresh, HG One 83mm,...
Vac Pot: Nope
Drip: Technivorm, Hario Woodneck,...
Roaster: Hottop 8828P
Posted Fri May 23, 2014, 1:29am

Here's my routine.

Wake up. Push a button and grind fresh for my big cup of joe from the Technivorm.  

Pop a Nespresso pod and push another button for my wife's latte.

Drop off kids, come home and then i take my time to hand grind my carefully weighed and roasted beans before i pull a beatiful shot for my macchiato.  

Do i use the Nespresso for myself even though i have a few thousand dollars in machines and grinders?  Im a coffeegeek but i also appreciate how fast the pod machine is.  Sometimes a mediocre shot is better than nothing.  My wife wont mind if i pop in a pod if shes almost ready to go out (you know it takes them time...). But she'd be furious if i disappeared for 10 minutes to make that perfect shot and she would have to wait an extra minute for me.  No more new coffee equipment if that happens often enough.
calblacksmith
calblacksmith

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Fri May 23, 2014, 5:47am

As a contrast to above.
I wake up, push the grinder button (commercial auto dosing grinder) get fresh ground fresh coffee, do a HX flush, lock and pull my morning shots. Actually less effort than a pod as I have no wrapper to take off the pods etc and the taste is much better. YMMV!

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
showing page 1 of 4 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Pod Machines :...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Rancilio Silvia - How to
Step by step guide for easy brewing and steaming with the Rancilio Silvia
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.486686944962)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+