Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Constant Steam from OPV / Safety Value? (Isomac HX)
Rocket R58 Double Boiler
Rocket Espresso R58 Double Boiler -  Everything you need for the perfect shot!
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Constant Steam...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
livin
livin
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Isomac Millinum
Grinder: Mazzer Mini E
Vac Pot: French Press!
Drip: people drink this?
Roaster: Riviera Coffee, Chandler AZ
Posted Sat May 17, 2014, 9:44am
Subject: Constant Steam from OPV / Safety Value? (Isomac HX)

This problem started yesterday after I did some maintenance on the machine - cleaning inside the case, removed the heating element (HE) to look inside the boiler, etc. I did not backflush or descale, I did that already weeks ago. My boiler is spotless inside. I have a water filter fine mesh screen on the intake tube and I use only RO water.

I did lay the machine on its side for a bit of time to remove the HE. Other than that nothing out of the ordinary.

After putting it back together, I started the machine and did a boiler fill...

OPV (safety valve at the top of the boiler) constantly spews lots of steam, and very loudly... it never stops. I also get more water than normal leaving the small curved metal tub going into the drain pan.

It has the original OPV - image attached

Did something happen to the OPV when I turned the machine on its side?

If I remove the OPV to clean, does it need to be re-adjusted for my machine?
(anyone know what size wrench I need?)

thanks for the help... I'm baffled!

livin: SafetyValve.jpg
(Click for larger image)
 View Profile Link to this post
hillm

Posted Fri May 23, 2014, 9:28pm
Subject: Re: Constant Steam from OPV / Safety Value? (Isomac HX)

I have a many years old Isomac Tea and my pressure relief valve failed last week. I used a spark plug wrench to take it off and after disassembling I saw that the problem was that the plastic piece that makes the seal was deformed. I wasn't able to locate an exact replacement but got something similar from cafeparts dot com. Part number 50915. $14.04. I checked several sites and prices for similar valves ranged from this to >$40. Now, I haven't installed and tested it yet but I'm pretty sure it'll work.
DavecUK

Posted Sat May 24, 2014, 3:01am

hillm Said:

I have a many years old Isomac Tea and my pressure relief valve failed last week. I used a spark plug wrench to take it off and after disassembling I saw that the problem was that the plastic piece that makes the seal was deformed. I wasn't able to locate an exact replacement but got something similar from cafeparts dot com. Part number 50915. $14.04. I checked several sites and prices for similar valves ranged from this to >$40. Now, I haven't installed and tested it yet but I'm pretty sure it'll work.

Posted May 23, 2014 link

Echo the above, your safety valve needs replacement. As long as the replacement part has the same thread size and is 2.3 bar or below (even up to 2.5 bar), it will work absolutely fine. When you remove be prepared for bits of threadlocker to fall in the boiler, try to avoid this and  fit with teflon tape
CSME9
CSME9
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Bezzera Mitica Top, Spaz...
Grinder: Rancilio Rocky
Drip: Moka Pot
Roaster: BBQ Roaster
Posted Sat May 24, 2014, 6:12am

livin Said:

This problem started yesterday after I did some maintenance on the machine - cleaning inside the case, removed the heating element (HE) to look inside the boiler, etc. I did not backflush or descale, I did that already weeks ago. My boiler is spotless inside. I have a water filter fine mesh screen on the intake tube and I use only RO water.

I did lay the machine on its side for a bit of time to remove the HE. Other than that nothing out of the ordinary.

After putting it back together, I started the machine and did a boiler fill...

OPV (safety valve at the top of the boiler) constantly spews lots of steam, and very loudly... it never stops. I also get more water than normal leaving the small curved metal tub going into the drain pan.

It has the original OPV - image attached

Did something happen to the OPV when I turned the machine on its side?

If I remove the OPV to clean, does it need to be re-adjusted for my machine?
(anyone know what size wrench I need?)

thanks for the help... I'm baffled!

Posted May 17, 2014 link

See here
https://espressocare.com/Qstore/ Qstore.cgi?CMD=009&DEPT=115 8362623&CAT=1158972009& SUBCAT=1351700494&ADMIN=YES

Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: Machine now fixed ;o)
Grinder: None
Vac Pot: None
Drip: None
Roaster: None
Posted Sat May 24, 2014, 6:34am

I had this problem recently (not on an Isomac HX) and the cause turned out to be that the steam boiler (mine is a double boiler machine) was over filling with water because the level probe wasn't doing its job properly.  Cleaned the probe which had a slight amount of scale on it, and now it's back to normal. Nothing out of the safety valve.  It's always possible you may have disturbed it in your machine when doing the maintenance.

In my case, the give-away as to the underlying cause was a lot of water droplets from the steam wand, and water as well as steam coming out of the boiler safety valve.

Proper threadlocker like Loctite 577 is probably what the manufacturer will have used to seal the joint.  Not too expensive and very easy to use. Does a very good job.
livin
livin

Espresso: Isomac Millinum
Grinder: Mazzer Mini E
Vac Pot: French Press!
Drip: people drink this?
Roaster: Riviera Coffee, Chandler AZ
Posted Sat May 24, 2014, 8:19am

thanks guys... I will pull the water level probe and safety valve and clean it. Oddly enough, the machine is working now just fine... I can hear a small spirt of steam coming from the valve every few seconds, no more excess water our of the drain tube.

Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: Machine now fixed ;o)
Grinder: None
Vac Pot: None
Drip: None
Roaster: None
Posted Sat May 24, 2014, 12:22pm

It may be that some tiny specks of contaminant from the boiler got into the valve as a result of it being activated.  

They are very simple devices with a spring loaded piston with a slightly flexible washer  that presses against an opening from the boiler. Not sure what the washer is made of - some sort of synthetic rubber I'm guessing.  The ones I've dealt with are designed not to be dismantled or parts replaced - probably for good safety reasons - but they can be cleaned.

There is  no adjustment on them to worry about. They are pre-specified as to release pressure by the manufacturer (it should be marked on the valve).  

Giving it a careful clean and making sure there are no particles inside stopping it from seating properly is likely to fix any remaining minor problem I reckon.
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Constant Steam...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Stefano's Espresso Care
Repair - Parts - Sales
Factory Authorized &
Trained Technician
www.espressocare.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.405575990677)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+