Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
De'Longhi vs Gaggia
Support Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids is a non profit charity working with farming communities around the world. Donate today!
www.coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > De'Longhi vs...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 3 last page next page
Author Messages
drhiii

Expertise: I like coffee

Posted Fri May 23, 2014, 3:14am
Subject: De'Longhi vs Gaggia

Great site!  Learning tons.  Have to put this out there tho for hopefully comments....

I have a long in the tooth Baby Gaggia.  Am weighing whether to refurb it or go to either a De'Longhi EC155 or... another Gaggia as in a Gaggia Classic.

Ideas?  Thoughts?  Guidance?  Anything would be much appreciated....
 View Profile Link to this post
NobbyR
NobbyR
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Poccino Opus One, Ariete
Grinder: Eureka Mignon Istantaneo
Vac Pot: N/A
Drip: Melitta Linea Unica de Luxe
Roaster: N/A
Posted Fri May 23, 2014, 4:45am
Subject: Re: De'Longhi vs Gaggia

The Gaggia Classic will offer the best value for money.

"This drink of the Satan is so delicious that it would be a shame to leave it to the infidels." (Pope Clement VIII on coffee, when he was urged to ban the beverage)
D4F

Espresso: Gaggia Classic PID
Grinder: Baratza Forte-AP
Posted Fri May 23, 2014, 8:56am

drhiii Said:

Baby Gaggia... either a De'Longhi EC155 or... another Gaggia as in a Gaggia Classic.

Ideas?  Thoughts?  Guidance?  Anything would be much appreciated....

Posted May 23, 2014 link

Classic  :)  unless your refurb is cheap to do.  Gaggias usually don't need a lot and there are many threads available.  It all depends on what is wrong.

D4F also at
http://www.gaggiausersgroup.com/
CMIN

Espresso: Crossland CC1
Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Posted Fri May 23, 2014, 9:44am

Not even close, Gaggia Classic > EC155. However what grinder do you have? If you don't have an espresso grinder, the EC155 will make better coffee b/c of the pressurized portafilter, as an incapable grinder on the Classic will give you gushing/spritzing/channeling/under or over extracted shots.
emradguy
emradguy
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Duetto II; Twist v2
Grinder: M Major, Macap M4 x2, VDD...
Drip: Espro presses; Aeropress
Roaster: H-B "List of Favorites"
Posted Fri May 23, 2014, 9:48am

I wouldn't recommend buying anything coffee related from Delonghi.

Always remember the most important thing is what ends up in your cup!
CMIN

Posted Fri May 23, 2014, 12:20pm

here's a used Classic with PID already installed for 300 + shipping. PID makes single boiler machines way easier and better to use.

Gaggia Classic

still need an espresso capable grinder though
JasonBrandtLewis
JasonBrandtLewis
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Elektra T1 - La Valentina -...
Grinder: Mahlkönig K30 Vario -...
Vac Pot: Yama 5-cup
Drip: CCD, Chemex
Roaster: No, no, not another...
Posted Fri May 23, 2014, 12:47pm

emradguy Said:

I wouldn't recommend buying anything coffee related from Delonghi.

Posted May 23, 2014 link

Agreed.

Classic.

A morning without coffee is sleep . . .
drhiii

Posted Fri May 23, 2014, 2:12pm

Cool... I have not seen this much passion from a group since, well... I can't say when.  Gaggia it is.  I am leaning towards refurbing my Baby Gaggia as there isn't too much wrong with it though I do need to replace gaskets I know, and am having some trouble with the group head as in getting it out.  It seems to come up to temp and pressure appears to be good... and it pulls decent shots tho I know there could be improvements with more knowledge.

Will definitely stay with Gaggia tho.  

In answer to the grinder... I have an espresso grinder and I know it does a very good quality job.  So that part is going well.  Will just root around to see how, where to have someone with knowledge and skills to refurn this little guy.  It has sentimental meaning as well...

VERY much appreciate all the replies.   Helps focus on a good choice.
CMIN

Posted Fri May 23, 2014, 2:16pm

drhiii Said:

Cool... I have not seen this much passion from a group since, well... I can't say when.  Gaggia it is.  I am leaning towards refurbing my Baby Gaggia as there isn't too much wrong with it though I do need to replace gaskets I know, and am having some trouble with the group head as in getting it out.  It seems to come up to temp and pressure appears to be good... and it pulls decent shots tho I know there could be improvements with more knowledge.

Will definitely stay with Gaggia tho.  

In answer to the grinder... I have an espresso grinder and I know it does a very good quality job.  So that part is going well.  Will just root around to see how, where to have someone with knowledge and skills to refurn this little guy.  It has sentimental meaning as well...

VERY much appreciate all the replies.   Helps focus on a good choice.

Posted May 23, 2014 link

What type of grinder though (name)? 9 times out of 10, people post they have an espresso grinder and then it's just some 50-100 buck store grinder that said espresso on it. Don't take that the wrong way like talking down to you lol. Did you see my post above, someone just put up an Classic for sale with a PID for 300 + shipping, could always negotiate too.
drhiii

Posted Fri May 23, 2014, 2:22pm

Sure, it is a Breville BCG450XL Conical Burr Grinder.  I know it is lower end but I was able to ask a barrista who among other things trained in Italy for 2 years at I gather a top shelf entity, and is the most in demand repair-er, fixer, all things coffee in this region, and he said this grinder was doable so I took him at his word.  In a crazy side note, the fellow is a practicing Mormon and does not drink coffee... but he is from what I can determine high up on the chain of skills.  

Fire away if this grinder is not to anyone's liking.  It seems to be doing a consisten job.  I also modified it according to some DIY instructions to get a finer adjustment of the burr grinder.... if that matters.  

What type of grinder though (name)? 9 times out of 10, people post they have an espresso grinder and then it's just some 50-100 buck store grinder that said espresso on it. Don't take that the wrong way like talking down to you lol. Did you see my post above, someone just put up an Classic for sale with a PID for 300 + shipping, could always negotiate too.
showing page 1 of 3 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > De'Longhi vs...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Commercial Equipment
Nuova Simonelli, La Marzocco, Rancilio. Nationwide installation. Instant financing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.361558914185)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+