Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Question:  V2B started making a hissing noise
The Coffee Project
Home coffee Roasting equipment, green beans, and supplies
www.coffeeproject.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Question:  V2B...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
Tonyv138

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: V2B
Grinder: Mazzer SJ
Posted Fri May 23, 2014, 6:56pm
Subject: Question:  V2B started making a hissing noise

Today i noticed something strange - my V2B started making a hissing (sounds like steam escapes) noise. Appears to come from the top of the steam boiler. I had the machine run with the steam boiler off - no hissing. Pulled the cover off, no bubbles, no indication of leaking, can hear the noise louder, but could not pinpoint the source definitively, but it appears that the hissing it is coming from limit stat.

The steam boiler is set to 255F, and the pressure is on the border of red and green.

Questions:
- Do owners of V2B hear the noise aside from normal machine gurgling during warm/cool cycle
- Suggestions how to localize the source better?

I plan to call CCS on Tuesday

thanks, tony
 View Profile Link to this post
Tonyv138

Posted Mon May 26, 2014, 8:24am
Subject: found why:  V2B started making a hissing noise. DaveC perhaps you can comment

The weld seam on the top of the steam boiler has a pinhole. Right under the insulation. Figuring out how to best deal with the boiler replacement is next. Suggestions are welcome.
DavecUK

Posted Mon May 26, 2014, 10:54am
Subject: V2B started making a hissing noise. DaveC perhaps you can comment

As you have asked for comment, I would recommend that you go back to the retailer with a photo of the leaking area, indicate the leak with an arrow using an editing package. Then see what the dealer proposes.

I say to do this, because it's highly unusual to hear of a QM machine having bad brazing on the copper/brass work. I have never heard of a new one failing like that before. Also if it has happened, I am sure the dealer will want to let QM know the model number, especially if it's very new as perhaps something has changed at the factory.

Replacement of the steam boiler is a fairly straightforward job and is how the problem should ideally be rectified. The defect can be rebrazed, but as the boiler and all the fittings need to come off to do that, it's best to replace it. I think you got 3 options, depending on what the dealer says

1. Return to the dealer under warranty and let them sort it out

2. Get them to send a replacement steam boiler and you fit it yourself with any telephone assistance you might need.
    With this option as them to ensure the replacement boiler has the "thermal probe" and the "water level probe pre-fitted for you". This ensures you at least have those 2 components on the boiler, as you are most likely to have either a problem getting them off, or damage them. You also need a spare heating element gasket...i don't think there are any other gaskets you would need. Replacement of the steam boiler will take you around 2 hours, if you have never done it before, or 1 hour if your handy with tools.

I would personally go for option 2. In the interim, you can effect a temporary (it will probably last for ever repair), but using lead free silver solder and a small brazing torch...the type with a gas cannister (and not the tiny one for creme brulees). Depending on where the defect is, it is might dictate any fittings you have to remove and you might have to remove some insulation. To repair it, your looking to clean up the area (really clean with wire wool) with the pinhole and then you have 2 options. Either flow the silver solder into it.

or with a very small drill (1mm) , enlarge the hole and drill in about 1mm ish ..not all the way through....then flow the solder into that hole.....your not looking to try and remelt the  brazing and with a canister powered hand torch you probably wouldn't be able to. You need to get it hot enough though to flow the lead free silver solder and have it stick. Using a flux will also help.

it all depends on exactly where the defect is...and whether it's on the edge or not.

This keeps you going until your replacement arrives. Don't worry about the boiler blowing up or anything like that, it's not going to happen and there is not a huge amount of pressure there. The worse that can happen is you get the pinhole leak come back and a lot of steam in the machine.
Tonyv138

Posted Mon May 26, 2014, 11:40am
Subject: Re: V2B started making a hissing noise. DaveC perhaps you can comment

Thank you for the comments and your advice Dave.

I have sent a picture to the dealer already. It was a difficult proposition to take the picture as the hole is facing the front panel of the machine. and it is underneath of the safety valve and steam pipe - seems that a lot needs to come off to access the hole, and there is not much room for soldering. I suppose I am the unlucky one - will have to wait for my coffee for few days or weeks.

thanks again, Tony
Tonyv138

Posted Tue Jun 17, 2014, 7:27am
Subject: Update: V2B started making a hissing noise. and a follow up Q.

Just wanted to provide a quick update. One more happy customer of Chris Coffee. They sent me a replacement boiler with all elements (heater, high limit, water level probe, etc... installed) I installed it into V2B... I am back up and running. Their service is great!

Now for the question: the boiler came plated with RUVECTECK. The boiler looks silver now. I am told that this is a new requirement to import these into US. I became curious what it is, but cant find anything on this material. Does anyone know what that is and why it became mandatory?

Last observation: the boiler came in a different insulation - siver like on CC pictures not black rubbery stuff.
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Question:  V2B...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Jebana from Ethiopia
Ultra Low Tech, for the CoffeeGeek with everything. Beautiful, and Functional too.
www.coffeeproject.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.277209043503)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+