Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
advice on machine
The Coffee Project
Home coffee Roasting equipment, green beans, and supplies
www.coffeeproject.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > advice on...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
iluretar

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Sun May 25, 2014, 11:51am
Subject: advice on machine

Where I live there are not many starter espresso machines to buy, you can buy $4-5k machines for coffee houses but that's pretty much it. After looking for months I found a guy that brings stuff from other countries and he said he can get me this three machines.
*De'longhi ec155 for $200
*Phillips Saeco Poemia for $250
*De'longhi ec702 for $300
I know this is much more than their price in the us but it's all I can get. I have a manual ceramic burr grinder but will get a better one in a few months, what do you think would be a better choice. One hundred dollars may not seem that much but here it's still a considerable amount of money to spend on a ”banality appliance". Thank you.
 View Profile Link to this post
skydragondave

Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Commercial Only
Grinder: Commercial Only
Roaster: Has Garanti HG5
Posted Sun May 25, 2014, 1:51pm
Subject: Re: advice on machine

Well when we're talking about "Starter" machines it usually assumes it's a machine at the beginning of a longer continuum leading to an endpoint that makes you happy. Personally I don't think these machines are good as a "starter" I think they're more a "banality appliance" if you like, meant for people with low expectations of coffee and they really won't provide enough of a result in stock form to encourage you to go further. However if you consider espresso machines a "banality appliance" in the first place, you may well be satisfied with one of them. I'd say flip a coin in that case. However, if you can save your money and increase your budget, you will probably find a good deal on a much better used machine in the classifieds section of this website, that you can have shipped out to your country. Most if not all sellers here are also contributing members of the site with a good reputation and for the most part can be trusted. I think that's a much sounder beginning point for a first-time home barista. Your mileage may vary. Good luck
skydragondave

Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Commercial Only
Grinder: Commercial Only
Roaster: Has Garanti HG5
Posted Sun May 25, 2014, 1:56pm

Here's an example right here:
"Sale Pending:  Gaggia Classic for Sale  **SOLD**"
Longtime member in good standing, Gaggia Classic, with PID! And within the high end of your budget.
D4F

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Gaggia Classic PID
Grinder: Baratza Forte-AP
Posted Sun May 25, 2014, 2:42pm

Roberto, welcome to CG.

IIRC, those machines are fairly similar internally with similar workings, particularly the Delonghis.  That leaves the decision mostly on price and cosmetics. Many here on CG started with the Delonghis and there is a large thread on the EC155 with modifications to improve function and taste. Those mods could be similar on the similar machines.

I had a Delonghi before I knew of CG and then when the Delonghi died, I did some reading.  Price and availability may control your decision to those machines listed, only.  You will need a very good grinder to use a much better machine.  If the grinder is not very consistent and adjustable in the espresso range you will need to use the pressurized portafilters and that is very limiting.  

Here is a great starting point for espresso

http://www.espressomyespresso.com/

12 - EASY GUIDE TO BETTER ESPRESSO AT HOME

D4F also at
http://www.gaggiausersgroup.com/
iluretar

Posted Sun May 25, 2014, 3:54pm

First of all thanks for your input it's appreciated, when I said banality appliance I meant that people here are not that much into coffee and would look at me funny when they see a machine like this in my kitchen, let alone spending a lot of money in it, not that it would matter to me but just to give a little background on my situation, people spend even more money on more socially acceptable hobbies anyway.

Well back on track I'll definitely continue to find better and cheaper ways to import better machines like the one was posted but that $300 gaggia would mean something around $500 after shipping expenses and that's a little too much for my first machine, maybe in a year or two but right now I need a cheaper option to get me started. I know it wouldn't be the best coffee experience but my palate isn't that refined either, I think that will grow beside my expense capabilities xD.

If there are better machines in the same price line of the ones listed please let me know to see if I can get my hands on it, again thanks for the help, I'll definitely be reading this site quite often from now on
Angman
Angman
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Strega, MCal, Cimbali M20L
Grinder: HG One 83mm, Breville Smart,...
Vac Pot: Nope
Drip: Bunn Trifecta, Woodneck,...
Roaster: Hottop 8828P
Posted Sun May 25, 2014, 9:03pm

Welcome to coffee geek.  So where exactly are you located as that might help us help you more.  $200 to ship a mediocre to inferior machine that would only need to be upgraded in a year or two sounds silly in the long run.  If the machines presence isn't a factor in your decision (some people like their equipment to make a statement) have you considered different brew methods or is espresso your only goal?  Reason I'm asking is because you can get a pretty fine cup out of an aeropress that only costs $30 and would be a breeze to ship.  Even a Hario V2, Kalitta Wave or Clever dripper can make great coffee with some practice and skill.  All of these methods are under $40 and you can get by with a lesser grinder.  If you do a bit more research on here you will soon realize that the grinder is much more important than your machine for making espresso.  

Keep reading the forum before you make the plunge.  Those listed machines will be a mistake in the long run especially of they are considered expensive for you.  I'd even donate one to you if you pay for the shipping. I got one for my wedding before I realized what real espresso was.  I haven't used the delonghi machine in years.
iluretar

Posted Mon May 26, 2014, 7:39am

I have a french press and an aeropress and they are fantastic but i wanted to make the jump to espresso and start with the cheapest machine with good reviews i could find, looking throug many sites and youtube reviews it seemed like the delonghis were a good place to start but the more i read here in coffeegeek im not that sure anymore, i don't know if people here are just way more demanding with their espresso or regular people just don't know / can't tell the difference. That makes me wonder if i'll notice the difference and honestly i'd rather know that i can do better and save for a better machine than spending more money and not really notice the difference.

I really appreciate your offer of donating me a delonghi but as you can see shipping from us is where most of my budget will go because customs here treat this kind of machines like "luxury items" and charge about 50% of the cost in taxes and not even the real cost but the one they have on a 10year old excel sheet where most likely be around 200$ tax no matter what receipt i show them, i know it's terrible but that's why most of us use this "casual importers" that charge by weight and its really good for cell phones and that kind of stuff but for a 8-10 pounds machine not that good.
D4F

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Gaggia Classic PID
Grinder: Baratza Forte-AP
Posted Mon May 26, 2014, 8:51am

You might learn a little from this current thread, some similar discussion.

"Less expensive alternatives to Gaggia Classic or Rancilio Silvia"?LastView=1400542678&Page=1

D4F also at
http://www.gaggiausersgroup.com/
Angman
Angman
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Strega, MCal, Cimbali M20L
Grinder: HG One 83mm, Breville Smart,...
Vac Pot: Nope
Drip: Bunn Trifecta, Woodneck,...
Roaster: Hottop 8828P
Posted Mon May 26, 2014, 10:25am

So where are you located again?  I'm glad that you are considering either waiting and to get a real espresso machine or nothing at all.  With all the shipping and duty expenses its just not worth wasting that amount of money on an inferior machine.  You're much better off reading these forums and learning and getting advice from people that really know and understand coffee.

iluretar Said:

I have a french press and an aeropress and they are fantastic but i wanted to make the jump to espresso and start with the cheapest machine with good reviews i could find, looking throug many sites and youtube reviews it seemed like the delonghis were a good place to start but the more i read here in coffeegeek im not that sure anymore, i don't know if people here are just way more demanding with their espresso or regular people just don't know / can't tell the difference. That makes me wonder if i'll notice the difference and honestly i'd rather know that i can do better and save for a better machine than spending more money and not really notice the difference.

I really appreciate your offer of donating me a delonghi but as you can see shipping from us is where most of my budget will go because customs here treat this kind of machines like "luxury items" and charge about 50% of the cost in taxes and not even the real cost but the one they have on a 10year old excel sheet where most likely be around 200$ tax no matter what receipt i show them, i know it's terrible but that's why most of us use this "casual importers" that charge by weight and its really good for cell phones and that kind of stuff but for a 8-10 pounds machine not that good.

Posted May 26, 2014 link

iluretar

Posted Mon May 26, 2014, 11:00am

After all your comments and reading i think i'm gonna open a little "coffe gear fund" until i have enough for a better machine/grinder and stick to my aeropress and going to coffee houses for espresso,capuccinos etc. Thanks for all the help and i'll get back here in a year or two with a better budget. And i'm in santa cruz bolivia by the way.
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > advice on...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Great Espresso at Home
Curated selection of the best machines from La Spaziale, Izzo, Quick Mill, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.402527809143)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+