Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Seeking advice on a new machine and grinder.
Stefano's Espresso Care
Repair - Parts - Sales
Factory Authorized &
Trained Technician
www.espressocare.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Seeking advice...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
1by1

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Sun May 25, 2014, 3:25pm
Subject: Seeking advice on a new machine and grinder.

I am seeking advice on a new machine and grinder.  My old Starbucks barista has died after about 8 years of service. I will also be upgrading my Bodum bistro grinder after reading through this forum. The new machine and grinder should have the smallest footprint possible and would be used only for pulling espresso shot’s (we only drink Americano’s). I get fresh beans every week from local roasters and pretty much stick to espresso varieties.  I drink about four cups a day and my wife has one on weekends.  I would also like to plum the machine for convenience. My budget is about $3000 or less for the machine and grinder. Any and all help is appreciated.
 View Profile Link to this post
JasonBrandtLewis
JasonBrandtLewis
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Elektra T1 - La Valentina -...
Grinder: Mahlkönig K30 Vario -...
Vac Pot: Yama 5-cup
Drip: CCD, Chemex
Roaster: No, no, not another...
Posted Sun May 25, 2014, 4:39pm
Subject: Re: Seeking advice on a new machine and grinder.

Since you "only drink Americano's," you need hot water, but no steam.  Thus, you don't really need a machine that can steam milk, but you do need a machine with a hot water tap. Nonetheless, given your stated budget I would strongly suggest you look at an HX (or DB) machine, as you never know when you might a) change your mind and make yourself a macchiato, or b) have a guest over who might want a cappuccino . . .

Machines:
Bezzera BZ07, $1399.
Faema Carisma, $1499.
Fiorenzato Bricoletta, $1525.  (Direct connect only)
Quick Mill Anita, $1595.

Grinders:
Anfim Caimano, $950
Casadio Enea, $1050.
Fiorenzato Doge, $1099.
Mahlkönig K30 Vario, $1625.
Mazzer Major-E, $1398.
Mazzer Mini-E, Type A, $875.

Among many others, of course.

A morning without coffee is sleep . . .
Angman
Angman

Espresso: Strega, MCal, Cimbali M20L
Grinder: K10 Fresh, HG One 83mm,...
Vac Pot: Nope
Drip: Technivorm, Hario Woodneck,...
Roaster: Hottop 8828P
Posted Sun May 25, 2014, 10:21pm

Wow upgrading from a Starbucks barista and Bodum grinder to a $3000 setup is a huge upgrade. At $3k you have lots of choices and all the ones above are great reccomendations. Are you strictly looking for new beacuse as a hobby and lifestyle most of us we tend to have upgraditis syndrome and many of us have lots of excess equipment that we offload in the buy and sell frequently.  Often times you can get a great machine in great shape for considerably less than new.  

Outside of size does aesthetics matter?  

If you want a very good quality espresso grinder in a small foot print at the best possible price you cant beat the Baratza Vario or Vario-W.  Can you get a better grinder?  Yes, but one with the same features, more robust build quality and noticeably better grind will cost you 3-4 times the price. The Baratza Forte is also a great choice but you're just paying for more metal. The other small footprint quality grinder would be a Mazzer Mini-E type A or B.  I'm only recommending this because you say size matters and also the fact that you're upgrading from a Bodum Bistro grinder and not something that's of any significant quality to begin with.  

With your budget I also agree that any machine you look at purchasing might as well have steaming features.  I can't even think of any serious modern machine that won't be able to steam.

As for my recommendations I would say the vibiemme super domobar, la spaziale Vivaldi II and the Bezzera Strega Top model.  All three machines can be plumbed in.  Outside of the Vivaldi the other two can also be tank filled as well.  All three I have personally used and can make excellent shots but all three are aesthetically and mechanically different as well.  Can't go wrong with any one.  

Good luck
1by1

Posted Mon May 26, 2014, 3:20pm

Thanks for the advice so far. I had pitched the Bezzera BZ10 to my wife before but she thought it was too big as we have limited counter space.  Esthetics can be either traditional or modern; my only concern is pulling better shot’s. My budget is $3000 but I would love to spend less.  If I were to take the plum option of the table what would be your recommendations for a machine?
JasonBrandtLewis
JasonBrandtLewis

Espresso: Elektra T1 - La Valentina -...
Grinder: Mahlkönig K30 Vario -...
Vac Pot: Yama 5-cup
Drip: CCD, Chemex
Roaster: No, no, not another...
Posted Mon May 26, 2014, 4:26pm

Buy the best grinder you can afford.  Then spend what's left on the machine . . .

A morning without coffee is sleep . . .
SJM

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: SAMA, Gaggia Classic
Grinder: K-10PB, Rancilio MD-50
Vac Pot: no like
Drip: no like
Roaster: HotTop
Posted Mon May 26, 2014, 5:00pm

JasonBrandtLewis Said:

Buy the best grinder you can afford.  Then spend what's left on the machine . . .

Posted May 26, 2014 link

That's it in a nutshell :-))))
Best slogan ever !!!!
benpiff
benpiff

Espresso: RocketR58,GrimacMini,Vetrano
Grinder: LSM FK Conical,Major
Vac Pot: Vario,Pharos
Drip: Livia 90, NS Elli
Roaster: Sonofresco ADR
Posted Mon May 26, 2014, 7:03pm

You should be able to find a Baratza Vario or other Super Jolly caliber commercial grinder with an excellent condition used dual boiler plumbed machine like a Spaziale Vivaldi or Izzo Duetto 2 for under $2000. Those are what I'd recommend, and I totally trust their build quality to buy used. Save the $1000 and you'll have maintenance covered for 5-10 years :)

www.oldparkedcars.com
 View Profile Visit website Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
1by1

Posted Mon May 26, 2014, 10:32pm

Thanks everyone for your insightful inputs. I have decided on the Baratza vario. After reading about 20 plus grinders, I fully understand that the grinder is the most important part of the equation, however I am just stating to grow my skills. Esthetically, the Spaziale vivaldi with the wood sides looks fantastic. That and all the previous ones recommended seem like great machines. Next step is narrowing down my short list.
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Seeking advice...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Coffee Kids
Help folks who help folks in coffee producing nations.
coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.334702014923)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+